Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 06-13-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
First of all, this is obviously for the 3.4 only, sorry for not adding that to the topic.

Store/Site purchased: AleroMOD member : Niach
Cost/Shipping: 75 shipped
Store service, contact, delivery, problems, props: pretty quick shipping, neatly packed, some damage but may have not been during shipping.

Initial product impressions, quality: 7/10, a few minor defects, but you get what you pay for.

Instructions, good, bad, none, etc: excellent instructions for most users who keep up in the forums.

Installation notes, easy, hard, PITA: well if everything fits, should be cake. more info on that tomorrow.

Performance, appearance opinions: looks great, havent had a chance to test performance yet.

Any other thoughts about the product: overall, satisfied, great deal for the price. would have been 100% happy if the filter wasnt dented, or if there was an aleromod decal, either in the box, or on the intake tube itsself :thumbsup:
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

ok, first of all packaging was good, everything bubble wrapped

now the first short coming, the filter... not a huge problem, but it has a fairly large dent in it.

and there was a fairly deep scratch at the top, almost looks like from a grinder

coupler looks fine except for a small blemish, and one of the grommets looks as though it might not seal, easy fix though...

grommet...

long tube, couplers already attached, and for those who might not know alot, there are some metal shavings inside and on the couplers, i suggest cleaning that out so it doesnt get in your intake. oh, and the polish looks alot better than in the pictures, very nice looking.

short tube, one end is a little rough, but who cares.

like i said, very good for the price! i reccomend this product to any 3.4 owner without CAI
Old 06-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
come on nick !!! lol
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:02 AM   #4
dadirtybulldog

hmmm..... i was considering one of these.... have to think about it now
Old 06-13-2004, 02:07 AM   #5
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Hey man, I assure you that the filter was definately NOT dented like that when I shipped it. If you want, I can see if I can replace it for you. It must have gotten smashed durring shipping, although I doubt it would really affect the performance (and you don't see the filter once its installed anyway).

Also, the pics make it look dirty. You can polish the tubing with aluminum polish to make them look gorgeous.

Again, I apolagise for the damaged filter, it wasn't damaged when I shipped it. I have no idea how those marks on the top if the filter got there. Maybe the tubing rubbed on the top of the filter in transit? I will package the filter in its own esparate box maybe in the future if I can find a box that is the right size from the post office.

With the grommets, the problem is that you're putting a part that is made to go on a straight piece into a curved housing. Unfortunately, no matter what you do, it won't fit in there exactly perfect. I made the holes tight enough so that it won't let the tubes pop out. It will work fine. The grommets are exactly the same as the ones in my APOC CAI, and I've never had a problem with them in over 2 years.

Also, I would have loved to include an Aleromod decal on them, and I will probably do it later... but I am out of stock of dark colored stickers, and I have no money to order more right now

Once again, let me assure you that most of you will *not* get a damaged filter, and if you want to make sure, add $5 on to the shipping cost, and I'll put shipping insurance on the package. That price will still be cheap.

Take some pics after the installation, and let me know how it was. Again, this whole venture is a work in progess for me. You must remember, I live in a small apartment, and I don't have a lot of tools and machinery to cut these pipes as nicely as I would like to... and if I did, the CAI's would wind up costing a lot more. For $75 shipped, you are easily getting the best CAI deal you can... and I am always working to improve the product.

Maybe I'll try glueing the grommets in place next time.... but I am 100% sure they will work fine.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 04:45 AM   #6
AleroSS

Damnit Nick, you gotta start makin $75 ecotec CAI's
Old 06-13-2004, 08:06 AM   #7
FormulaNERD
GLS member

yea nick, like i said, i'm in NO WAY complaining!

just tried to give the most in depth review i could, it wasnt my intent to scare anyone away from buying, as i DO reccomend getting this, like i said a great deal for the price

im not sure if the dent happened during shipping, but im almost 100% sure that the scratch didnt occur during shipping, it's rather deep.

but i'm fine with the filter, not worried about performance loss or anything like that. and i dont need you to send me a new filter.

but a light colored (white) aleromod decal would be nice :thumbsup:

and nick is right about the polish, these look horrible in the pics, but that's the bad thing about 5mp camera's, they bring out the worst in every detail, this cai looks great in person. install pics coming soon.

and if the grommets give me any trouble, i have some gorilla glue.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:48 AM   #8
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't WAIT til mine arrives!

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:58 AM   #9
alerocity

we ecos need some cheap cais
nobody is showing us any luv
Old 06-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #10
FormulaNERD
GLS member

30-45 min install... i did NOT remove the wheel or jack the car up. just turned the wheel all the way left and worked around it.

ok, ok, only one more complaint, it's a fairly tight fit in the fender, and the battery WILL HAVE TO BE relocated.

edit: took her for a spin, sounds great and i can squeal the tires a little more from a dead stop, so at least a little low end power gain, and i'm going to try and rotate the pipes a little to make room for the battery, not sure if that will help because of the tight fit in the fender well.

battery removed

battery sorta installed with no bracket underneath, NOT SECURE
Old 06-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
Naich
The Founder

Yeah, it is going to be a bit tight in the fender. Even mine from APOC only barely fits in, and its just because the car wasn't designed to have a big filter between tne engine compartment and the fender. Also, it looks like the battery you have is pretty damn big! lol. The stock one & especially the Sears Diehard Gold one I have is smaller. It might be a tad tight for those of you who have big batteries installed.

Again, I SWEAR that it wasn't dented. About the scratch, I am 50-50, because honestly, I didn't pay too much attention to it. I can take pictures of all the other 3 filters to prove that none of them are dented. I wouldn't sell them like that.

Old 06-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
FormulaNERD
GLS member

actually my battery is pretty small. i know alot of people run optima's, and mines alot smaller than an optima.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:42 PM   #13
Naich
The Founder

did you have any luck getting the battery in? You can try loosening the couplers a bit, because the CAI should have a fair ammount of play in the couplers to help work it around the battery.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #14
Naich
The Founder

Allright... I just got back to my apartment to check out the rest of the filters, and while they aren't flawless, they aren't dented or scratched like yours. I am sorry that yours had those flaws. Again, I am fairly sure that the minor dings in the mesh of the filters is caused by shipping, and will not have any affect whatsoever in the performance of the intake.

In the future I will see if I can get my supplier to ship the filters in boxes to prevent this minor damage.

Here is a pic of the 3 remaining filters

Old 06-13-2004, 05:52 PM   #15
Naich
The Founder

And, here is a pic of the 5 extra couplers I needed to order.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:54 PM   #16
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Got mine tonight....w00t ! Got home from work, saw the box, then immediately made plans to toss that sucker in after dinner !

I found the same results as Formula, but I have roughly the same size battery, and I just adjusted the couplers a bit, "cheated" here and there, and got it to fit...

( by cheating, I mean where the pipes meet, and where the MAF and pipe meet, It isn't truly straight, but hey, a little bend isn't gonna hurt airflow NEAR as much as the "corrugated" rubber piping our cars came with. I jacked the car up, removed the inner fender-well, but I never removed the headlight. ( I should have, as it would definately have saved time )

Sorry about the crappy pics, but this was in my parent's garage, and it got dark out...( I'm still a year or 2 away from building a garage for myself )

The packaging was excellent, parts quality is great ( a few burrs from the saw, but a 1/2-round file took care of that ) and all the couplers and grommets fit nice and tight.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:56 PM   #17
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

What's in the box. The pic doesn't do the polished pieces justice. These look fantastic in person.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:58 PM   #18
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

finally, an installed pic. I've yet to clean up the mess that was under the stock airbox, but it's midnight, and I gotta be up @ 4:30 to goto work tomorrow. lol

Old 06-19-2004, 12:02 AM   #19
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Conclusion: For the small, SMALL price of 75 bills shipped, these CAI's are a STEAL. Great quality, great look, and the added "growl" is a welcome bonus, especially if you get on it @ around 3,500rpm. I get to drive her to work tomorrow, ( 104 miles round trip ) so i'll see what kinda mileage difference there is also. TRULY recommended.

Thanks again Naich ! :thumbsup:

Old 06-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #20
Naich
The Founder

You're welcome YB!

If anyone still wants some of these, you can paypal npbamond@optonline.net. Price scale will be this from now on:

$75 shipped for standard shipping
$80 shipped for priority shipping (2-3 days shipping)
$85 shipped internationally

As of now, I am out of materials. I will reorder them when I get around 2 more paid orders, b/c right now, I don't have enough scratch to buy the materials beforehand