Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 06-19-2004, 07:19 PM   #21
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree with YB, a great deal for the price, almost like a "dented can" special at the grocery store in my case :P but would still like to see a decal, either on the intake or included in the package...

still havent fixed the battery problem, i'm gonna play with the couplers a little more today. but it seems like they are already "flexed" a little. we'll see.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #22
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly, I think the major problem with making these fit isn't the battery, or it's size. You know how the resonator is comprised of 2 pieces, both pieces held by 1 bolt each? ( with the pieces snapped together in the middle ) The bottom half ( or second piece in line as air flows towards the engine ) bolts to a metal bracket, that extends from the engine-bay housing, straight towards the end of the bumper where it wraps around to meet the tire. I can't remember if this bracket holds any fasteners for the inner wheel-well, but if it doesn't, I think removing the bracket with a die-grinder / cut-off wheel would help the lower pipe's fit TREMENDOUSLY. With it removed, the lower pipe with the 45 in it could swivel the cone more towards the front of the car, giving more room for the battery situation above.....

I got it fitting decent, and it looks good, but I'm half-tempted to pull everything apart to see what can be done ( if anything ) about that bracket.

Whatchya think Formula?

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:14 PM   #23
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Whoa. Hold that thought. MAYbe the answer lies in adding another coupler. check out this thread, and scroll down to the 1st pic.

http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=996

I don't know WHAT intake kit that is, but it's got another coupler in there in between the 90 and the MAF. I'm thinking that just cutting the 90 pipe about 4.5" from the MAF, and ading another coupler and 2 more hose clamps would help "relax" the pipe so that it's easier to route around the battery. Both ideas would work IMO, but I like the look of Naich's kit better because it looks "cleaner" in a way...less couplers. If there's someone who just CAN'T get the kit in around their battery, 1 more coupler would definately help.

Maybe making additional couplers available for purchase would be a good idea, Naich. ( If I were having big troubles making it fit, I'd gladly pay another 5-8 dollars shipped for an answer to my install-troubles )

Just a thought......

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #24
FormulaNERD
GLS member

i see what you're saying, could work.

i was also thinking of relocating the washer fluid res. to make more room in the fender for the filter, so it can be rotated a little more.

just need to find a square washer res to put where the airbox was... i could get one from a hummer at work.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:30 PM   #25
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

But then, you're sacrificing the amount of fluid you can have, ( not that that's a problem ), but I'm really leaning towards taking off that bracket if at all possible....

Old 06-19-2004, 09:46 PM   #26
FormulaNERD
GLS member

which bracket are you talking about?
Old 06-19-2004, 09:48 PM   #27
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

gimme a minute, I'll see if i can find a pic....

Old 06-20-2004, 01:06 AM   #28
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
The intake with the extra coupler in the top pipe is the APOC intake. And yes, it is a slightly better fit. I know because that is the one I have (I was one of the first to get one back in the day of Aleroboard.com).

It's not really as simple as adding another coupler. The APOC one has a slight curve in the metal piece that kind of bends out around the battery. IMO having more chrome pipe and less couplers looks better, and also, the fewer bends in the pipes, the better.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:31 AM   #29
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

"IMO having more chrome pipe and less couplers looks better, and also, the fewer bends in the pipes, the better."

Absolutely. B)

Old 06-21-2004, 01:21 AM   #30
FormulaNERD
GLS member

IMO having a battery sitting at an angle looks like ass. no matter how much chrome is under the hood. issed:

Old 06-21-2004, 01:22 AM   #31
FormulaNERD
GLS member

oh, and YB, i saw the comment in my cardomain guestbook, thanks.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:07 AM   #32
Naich
The Founder

notice the way that YB has his angled in? That is the way yours should be too. It looks too upright. You just need to fudge with the couplers and bend them a little to get it to wrap around the battery better. Try rotating your top pipe about 10 degrees to the back.of the car.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:10 AM   #33
FormulaNERD
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Naich@Jun 21 2004, 12:07 PM
notice the way that YB has his angled in? That is the way yours should be too. It looks too upright. You just need to fudge with the couplers and bend them a little to get it to wrap around the battery better. Try rotating your top pipe about 10 degrees to the back.of the car.
yea, i'm gonna try that today....
Old 07-01-2004, 12:46 AM   #34
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
let us know how it goes man

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:12 PM   #35
DCAleroGL

I want to upgrade my intake, but I am still unsure whether to go all out with Naich's CAI, or go with the WAI setup. I don't race, but I would like to improve the low end power and fuel economy. The SLP exhaust will be my next mod. Which intake would you recommend? Naich, can you still make a 2.5" setup for the 3400?
Second bit, I saw a commercial WAI setup with a cover for the filter, stating that it kept the filter much cooler. Can I get one or is it a load? When I get the intake, I would also like to buy a set of those decals, white preferred.
I ask because I keep seeing mixed opinions regarding CAI vs WAI, but no one really states what kind of driving they do, and I think that factors in on opinions.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #36
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
You said you want low end and don't race, so get WAI.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #37
DCAleroGL

Thanks B, I thought so, but I was worried that the air under the hood would be too damn hot to be good. I guess the stocker aint real cool, though. Time to get a ram air setup designed.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #38
Naich
The Founder

Sure, I can do WAI or CAI setups still in 2.5, but I'm thinking about making the 3" CAI a mainstay. Unfortunately, I'm out of money to make another parts order, so anyone who orders them in the next couple of weeks might have a wait.

I am about 2 weeks behind schedule right now because the company I got the parts from didn't include the 3" couplers I had ordered. I'm screwed now because I have customers waiting for their intakes and I'm waiting for the couplers. The intakes are cut and sitting in a box right here on my computer desk, waiting to be shipped out.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #39
DCAleroGL

In topic http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?sho...=4429&hl=intake
SweetAlero99 commented:
ive had both in my car. IMO....... the car runs better with the 2.5 intake. u loose less bottom end.

Since I want the low end power, not the high rev gain, I was more interested in the 2.5" Do u have enough scraps to make a 2.5" WAI? I'll wait if couplers are needed.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #40
derek_ski99
GL Member

derek_ski99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to derek_ski99 Send a message via Yahoo to derek_ski99
you can buy couplers at any autostore....
they have around 100 million of them along with clamps.

you can also just go and buy a 4" long pipe and do it yourself. Then again, you could just have Nick do your dirty work
Brent: and in the end...... cherrington is still a cum dumpster whose closest contact with HOT women is through a car internet forum ........... so as long as we can agree on that........ we can all go back to being friends.

Being Brents friend is teh hotness
derek_ski99 is offline   Reply With Quote