Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 10-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
ffs
GX Member

ffs is on a distinguished road
Custom exhaust setup?

Anybody fabricated an exhaust for the 2.2? if so, i'd like to see a setup / the parts needed, couldn't find any with search.

or...are there any decent exhaust kits to purchase? One that won't make my car sound too much like a weedwhacker hehe

I did find pacesetter exhaust, not sure if that would be a better route than custom.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
pacesetter with our 4 bangers is.. not real great. I went with something cheap, and free flowing. Didnt turn out bad but for a permanent set up I would be running a magnaflow high flow cat, and muffler, with 4-2-1 headers. Right now I have a vibrant resonator with new pipe from the manifold to where it stats bending (the whole strait section), then factory until where it comes out behind the rear axle where and incynerator single in/dual out muffler is slapped in there. Its a bit louder than I would like and bit ricey at the top end but not bad. Heres a link, the front end was not done yet when this taken, its only very slightly louder now. At the time is was factory resonator, cat cut out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjew1mE5Z0w
thread for a little more info http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38107
searching you tube is your friend here. anything with our 2.2 (cav, sunfire, grandam, alero, malibu, cobalt) will give you a decent idea and people have done stuff from stupid to awesome so theres a range of different sounds you can make with different parts.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
ffs
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
pacesetter with our 4 bangers is.. not real great. I went with something cheap, and free flowing. Didnt turn out bad but for a permanent set up I would be running a magnaflow high flow cat, and muffler, with 4-2-1 headers. Right now I have a vibrant resonator with new pipe from the manifold to where it stats bending (the whole strait section), then factory until where it comes out behind the rear axle where and incynerator single in/dual out muffler is slapped in there. Its a bit louder than I would like and bit ricey at the top end but not bad. Heres a link, the front end was not done yet when this taken, its only very slightly louder now. At the time is was factory resonator, cat cut out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjew1mE5Z0w
thread for a little more info http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38107
searching you tube is your friend here. anything with our 2.2 (cav, sunfire, grandam, alero, malibu, cobalt) will give you a decent idea and people have done stuff from stupid to awesome so theres a range of different sounds you can make with different parts.

any link to the cat and resonator? would think they are universal. headers are a future plan for me, and i'm planning on sticking with a single/single muffler. also, would a stock muffler still be okay or could better results be achieved with a magnaflow muffler? not familiar with brands relating to exhaust.

Last edited by ffs : 10-01-2014 at 11:51 PM.
ffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #4
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

yes, universal for them will be better off, then have the shop fab up some nice piping for everything. All of the pre-fab setups for n-bodys are stupid overpriced. I wouldnt run a factory muffler with everything else personally, you'd be loosing a fair amount of flow that you just tried to gain, not sure about how that'd sound either. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-25-x-12-OA...9f8ef3&vxp=mtr is the resonator I have. good bang for your buck. Look around for cats, prices can really vary. Check summit racing and ebay of course. If you want to pay for the high flow, go for it, some say its not worth it. Flowmaster also makes good stuff but I think the magnaflow's sound better with our motor. Do some checking on what you want sound wise and are wanting to pay for your muffler, lot of options from even just those two brands. Keep in mind you want to keep some back pressure. If they pinch bend pipe then I'd go 2.5in (in the 'pinched' bends it could narrow down to 2.25in) if they have a bender that doesnt crunch it 'Roll bender?' then you'd be fine going with 2.25in for high flow, but not loss of back pressure.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
ffs
GX Member

will a new exhaust require a tune?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Nope

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

nope. To get the most out of it, tune. But that goes for anything you do.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
ffs
GX Member

Will larger resonators and mufflers reduce sound and give a better tone? I'm not talking about inlet/outlet diameter, but the case length/diameter.

Was thinking about going with a 2.25" inlet/outlet catback. the stock setup has my resonator in front of the cat.

i might not need a new cat. was thinking the new build going like this (starting from front to back of the car)

2" cat -> 2.25" resonator (Vibrant, 15.5" case length, 3.5" case diameter)/piping -> 2.25" muffler (MagnaFlow, round, 22" case length, 4" case diameter)

this seems like a reasonable build for a ~150hp 4 cylinder...to me at least. Plus the 2.25" leaves some room for future hp increases (if that even happens, ha.)

would like to hear feedback, as i am a "noob" with exhaust designs. i'm trying to achieve the best sound while still having as much performance as possible. I really don't want a high-pitched weedwhacker as my exhaust note.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I used to have a 2.2 as well. Nothing will help the car sound better more than a 4-2-1 header. The 4-1 headers that are on the car from factory as well as the pacesetter ones is what makes the 2.2 sound like a rice rocket. The 4-2-1 headers also help the engine with the low end torque, which I felt the Ecotec needed help with.

I also would recommend 2.25 exhaust tubing as well. There's no point to upgrade to 2.50 or 3" tubing. These engines are 4 bangers at the end of the day, they dont make much power, so you end up losing some backpressure at 2.50 or 3.

After that, just do a high flow cat. I'd recommend Magnaflow for that, but Cherry bomb isn't bad either. I believe they're owned by Dynamax but I may be wrong. Regardless, Cherry Bomb makes more than just the infamous glass packs. For mufflers, I would do something that's somewhat quiet at idle, but loud when you floor it. Most exhaust manufacturers have diagrams of how their baffling systems are set up. you want something free flowing but with some sort of baffles to quiet down the high pitched tones.

One bit of info that may be relevant is that the 4th gen (1993-2002) Camaro has the same style of exhaust set up as the Alero and Grand Am. The muffler is mounted sideways behind the bumper, under the trunk. You could easily find some product that suits your needs.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
ffs
GX Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H4L...&robot_redir=1

These seem to be headers that will fit. And thanks for the info, it'll help a lot.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Tsudo headers are more or less the only ones that exist with a 4-2-1 setup and the only issue with them is that they leak where the block meets the headers. I think you need to make your own gaskets for em.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 11-29-2014, 02:06 AM   #12
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Tsudo headers are more or less the only ones that exist with a 4-2-1 setup and the only issue with them is that they leak where the block meets the headers. I think you need to make your own gaskets for em.

from everything that I have found, which is lot, this is correct. I have not found anyone post an actual fix for it either. That being said, pacesetters are a close second for gasket failure and theres not really that much out there. I'm saving for tsudo's myself. Going to try some high end factory replacement gaskets and see how that goes when I do it.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Nas Escobar
GLS member

I was you at one point Papa, except I had a 4 door Grand Am. I really wanted those Tsudo headers but was scared about the leaks. From what I was told, the only other option is having custom headers made. But I'm pretty sure that would get expensive very fast.

I do wonder how RTV would hold up as an exhaust gasket.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 11-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #14
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
I was you at one point Papa, except I had a 4 door Grand Am. I really wanted those Tsudo headers but was scared about the leaks. From what I was told, the only other option is having custom headers made. But I'm pretty sure that would get expensive very fast.

I do wonder how RTV would hold up as an exhaust gasket.

I know sleepy used it for his front one when the gasket kept failing. I shall inquire. They guy I'm going to have put them on can make me a set, but like you said, price, and for him time is also an issue. I may just try the RTV then, had forgot about that.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys, a old world header trick... no gaskets at all. I ran my 3400 without gaskets and it sealed better than anything we were trying at the time. Had an old bugger of a mechanic tell me to give it a try and dammit he nailed it. Ran 4 years after that and no problem at all. Any leak at the manifold is gonna mess you up bad in your tune, gotta get them sealed no matter how you do it!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #16
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Hey guys, a old world header trick... no gaskets at all. I ran my 3400 without gaskets and it sealed better than anything we were trying at the time. Had an old bugger of a mechanic tell me to give it a try and dammit he nailed it. Ran 4 years after that and no problem at all. Any leak at the manifold is gonna mess you up bad in your tune, gotta get them sealed no matter how you do it!

iirc, the guys at TOG ("The Other Guys" ) Headers also recommended that method, which I've used ever since "aleroboy" first installed them almost 10 years ago. I had a leak there only when the primary bolts came loose. I have had ongoing leaks at the downpipe and crossover, but not with using sealer on the primary flanges.

However, next set I put on will get the individual pieced gaskets, to see if it dampens noise any. Who knows, HF noise could be affecting the Knock Sensor.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
iirc, the guys at TOG ("The Other Guys" ) Headers also recommended that method, which I've used ever since "aleroboy" first installed them almost 10 years ago. I had a leak there only when the primary bolts came loose. I have had ongoing leaks at the downpipe and crossover, but not with using sealer on the primary flanges.

However, next set I put on will get the individual pieced gaskets, to see if it dampens noise any. Who knows, HF noise could be affecting the Knock Sensor.

your build is also... built. So, slap these on with no gasket? If I have small leaks wouldn't be bad to use a little RTV would it?
I've also heard its best to do headers stone cold, sitting over night at least. This true? I dont want to want into the terror of studs getting broke.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #18
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
your build is also... built. So, slap these on with no gasket? If I have small leaks wouldn't be bad to use a little RTV would it?
I've also heard its best to do headers stone cold, sitting over night at least. This true? I dont want to want into the terror of studs getting broke.

I forgot what brand, but I did use some kind of high-temp sealant, then installed the header. Let it cure at least overnight.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #19
WreckItRoth
GX Member

WreckItRoth is on a distinguished road
I did my own set up and it sounds pretty nice. The only bad side of it is the Tsudo 4-2-1 header has shitty gaskets so you have to mess with them here and there. Check this link its got a couple pics of my exhaust.
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...914#post658914
Old 12-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #20
ffs
GX Member

Planning on making final decisions tomorrow and ordering...not sure if this is the best provider to buy from? It's not an exact fit for my 2002 Alero, but some cutting will probably have to be done...maybe, maybe not.

If somebody knows a better provider of the tsudo headers please specify. thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300819703380?lpid=82