Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 03-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
First off read Daytona's post on this thread

Here are some others, sorry if they get repeated.

Stall Launch Also called "loading up" Easy to do. One foot hard on the brake, another light on the gas. When the lights come down, off the brake and slam the gas. The tricky part is finding the right "launch RPM" You don't want to spin the wheels on your launch, even a chrip of the tires can cost you time. This helps by locking up the torque converter, and starting with the motor at 2000 RPM's is much better than 800 RPM's

Tire pressureI run 35 PSI on the street but go down to 26 PSI on the track. Go low tire pressure gives a bit better traction, but you don't want to go too low becasue it will slow you down too much. Flater tires are harder to break (spin)

Good Burnout Unless your running slicks, go around the waterbox. You don't want your tires wet here at all. Advoid water like the plauge, even driving thru the pits. You'll see rubber on the track surface, try to do your burnout on that. It is very sticky and burnouts heat up tires. The combo gets the tires really, really sticky. Kinda like movie theather floor. If you ever walk across the rubber on the track, even tightly laced shoes pull off your feet

All Acc Off Kinda a no brainer, Radios distract you and draw power away. A/C is a speed killer, and heat doesn't help out either (at least on the line) If your running at night, headlights are OK, but cut off the fogs.

Cool Motor Down Running the heat, and holding down the gas a little bit will reduce underhood temps. You'll see the needle move

Lose Weight Not you but the car. Spare tire and jack are about 30 lbs. Don't carry unneccessary crap to the track. If you are going alone and take food and such, just travel light.

Run Less Gas In a FWD car, a 1/4 to 3/8 tank is all you'll need. Higher Octane isn't neccessary but if you want to run it, go for it. If you use track gas, no more than 100 Octane (unless they have a lower grade ava)

Run Auto Tranny in "3" Driving in 3 will pervent the car from going into overdrive. Overdrive is a cruising gear. An Alero will not outrun 3rd gear in the 1/4 mile (unless s/c or t/c) and shifting won't help.

Reaction Time or R/T Reaction time is very important in bracket and heads up racing. It could win or lose your race. ALWAYS GO ON THE 3RD AMBER The old saying is, "If you still there when the light turns green, you lost" The New LED systems set a perfect light at .000, the old light blub system was .500 for a perfect light. You typical ricer on Import racing days will set between .400 and .700 R/T. I avg about .080 and if I get anything higher than .125 I hate myself. Daytona avg about .020 and hates anything higher than .040. I know this is confusing so let's look at an example.

Your car runs a 15.50 and the other car is running a 15.00. That's a 1/2 second faster than you, but that doesn't mean he or she will win. If car 2 has a .100 light and you have a .088 light, you will win by .012 seconds or about the distance from the front bumper to the front of the front wheel well. You beat a faster car, by R/T

Dial In Time This is key in bracket racing. Also call handicapped racing. You perdict what the car will run based off you previuos runs of the day. Let's just say you ran 15.82 , 15.78 , & 15.84 I would dial at 15.77 or 15.76 pending on the current weather and the time of the fastest run. I see a lot of kids on Import day dialing about 1 second faster than the car will run. Dreaming doesn't win races. If you outrun your dial, you break out and lose.

Deep Staging Daytona does this, I cannot. At the top of the "tree" (lights) there are 2 sets of yellow lights. The very top is "Pre-Stage" and the second is "Stage" Deep Staging means that after you light both lights, you roll ahead a little bit more and the very top lights go out. Only the "Stage" lights are on. This will cause you to have a better R/T and faster E/T but a lower MPH. I red light a lot doing this. "Red lightning" or "going red" mean you went before the ambers came down and this gives a negtive R/T. One time I red lighted by -.004 Heartbreak. I was deep staging at the time.

Be consistant What ever you run in time shots, do the same in brackets. Don't change what your doing when comp starts. If your best run is 15.80 and you think you can get 15.40 by doing something different, do it next time.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
very good information Redog, thankyou for posting that, i'm sure it will help out many of our younger members who don't know quite what to do.........thanx again!!! :thumbsup:
Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
thats awesome redog....very informative.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, great stuff man....bummer though, I thought I was going to find out how to run 12's for under 50 bucks.....heh

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Crolero

great info redog, im a bit smarter 2day :thumbsup:
Old 03-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
i learned my 1 new thing for the day...it has been a sucessful day
Old 03-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
glowbot

Great post. Learned a few new things. Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
I'm pinning this the to sticky pad.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #9
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
good post, but heating up stock tires doesn't do anything except waste tread.

you heat up drags so that the compound gets softer/stickier, stock tires arn't like that, made of different materials.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #10
Hotel Kilo

hey i got a question, and this may sound stupid.

My alero's steering is incredably sensitive (compared to other cars from different companies ive driven) and im worried that it will be a problem when i go to race this season. Ive never done a drag race before so i dont know how hard it is to control the car at higher speeds and acceleration. any words of advance in n00b language to help me out?

also how do i do a good burnout? ive spun tires and left rubber in parking lots playing with my friends but nothing like where i stay still and constantly spin.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Hotel Kilo@Apr 17 2005, 07:55 PM
hey i got a question, and this may sound stupid.

My alero's steering is incredably sensitive (compared to other cars from different companies ive driven) and im worried that it will be a problem when i go to race this season. Ive never done a drag race before so i dont know how hard it is to control the car at higher speeds and acceleration. any words of advance in n00b language to help me out?

also how do i do a good burnout? ive spun tires and left rubber in parking lots playing with my friends but nothing like where i stay still and constantly spin.

only way to constantly spin is to turn off your traction control and pull your parking brake, then floor it...i wouldn't do it though, its hard on your car and tires.

accelerate your car as fast as you can from a stop, that will show you how hard it is to control the car at higher speeds and acceleration. you wont get above 90 at the track....
Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #12
Hotel Kilo

one of my friends was telling me that i should run with the traction control off. is this true? i was thinking that having it on would help me from spinning off the line but he knows a little more than i do so i want to know what you guys say.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Having it on will only slow down the engine, not a good thing when at the track.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ Yeah if you spin up enough the TCS will kick on and slow you down and flooring it takes longer for the car to regain from TCS

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #15
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
My great description of how your power system places a mechanical load on your car is gone
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #16
El Pablo
03 Subaru WRX

El Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Pablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Pablo
thats awesome thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 PM   #17
Hotel Kilo

hey guys thanks. i just got back from the track (75-80) and im really happy becuase for my first time racing my best time was a 16.2525. I completely blew away my friend in his eclipse whos best time was a 16.5.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:31 AM   #18
luckilero7
GL Member

luckilero7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I gutted my car except for door panels but other than that pretty much everything and i have a custom intake and ran no filter except the MAF screen(which, believe it or not, helped) i dont leave it like this when you leave the track and forced inducted it but anyways i ran 15.979 beating my friends 3800 camaro. he ran 16.1 best oh i have the 3400 engine by the way
luckilero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #19
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
just a couple things my manager at work posted up for the local track-goers.
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #20
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat@Aug 12 2005, 09:09 AM
just a couple things my manager at work posted up for the local track-goers.
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855

Can't read the posts without registering and logging in. Copy-and-paste it into a thread here, please.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote