Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
Arrow Instrument Panel

Ok, what I have found is very odd.

I got to lookin at my instrument panel the other day and decided to pop it out and give it a once over with some windex and a paper towel.. what I discovered was kinda shocking.. I took the panel trim off.. and noticed that the bolts holding the instrument panel to the dash were all missing..

So I woundered.. could the previous owner have done what i think he / she did.. and I was correct.. The LED lights that light up the "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON", the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON", the "ANTI-LOCK", The "TRAC OFF", and the "LOW WASHER FLUID" were brutally removed with a pair of pliers.. the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light still exists on the board.. but its shattered and the base of the light bulb is just sitting there.. the other bulbs were ripped off the board.

My first question is why.. So i go ask the person i bought the car from, and he says that the previous owner tried to make a race car out of the alero, and thats all he knows. So im guessing thats why the lights were ripped off the board, and thats why theres a 2003 3.4L V6 engine in my 1999 Alero..

My next question.. how does one replace LED's? Do i have to buy a whole new instrument panel?
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
diablo
GL Member

diablo is on a distinguished road
i took my cluster apart and found the bulbs were all sodered in place, is yours like that? cuse if itis than yes you need a new planel
diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Eh_nigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Eh_nigma
Alrighty, I did a how to on the bulb/LED's in the climate control recently. It's EXACTLY the same when it comes to the LED's and resistors. If there are any other questions, PM me and I'll see what I can come up with.

I would be doing a "how to" on doing that, though I'm postive it was alread done, and that I'll be replacing my instruments a line from Autometer.

But yes... wow, cause not only do STICKERS give you 10hp, but removing bulbs, that's 2HP a piece!
-Why the hell not?
Eh_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Midgear
on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo View Post
i took my cluster apart and found the bulbs were all sodered in place, is yours like that? cuse if itis than yes you need a new planel

not according to Eh_nigma..

My cousin has a sodering gun (i know i spelled that wrong) .. so perhaps we could just go get a few LED's and soder em to the board?

Edit: Eh_nigma.. that was your 1000th post..
Old 04-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Mosty likey there's a 03 motor in your Alero becuase somebody really effed the old motor. Maybe it had the LIG leak and it wasn't attened to, but it could be anything

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #6
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
or maybe your throwing codes right now and u just dont know..

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
I'm wondering if it's odometer fraud. Put the odometer from a different alero and smash out the bulbs to show error codes... pretty cheap way to increase the resale value of the 'ho

if i remember correctly the mileage reading goes with the cluster
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post

No, the milage is on the BCM, gotta change that to change the miles

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Eh_nigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Eh_nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
not according to Eh_nigma..

My cousin has a sodering gun (i know i spelled that wrong) .. so perhaps we could just go get a few LED's and soder em to the board?

Edit: Eh_nigma.. that was your 1000th post..

It's easy to do really... what's easier on that panel, is there's A LOT more room to work with than the climate control, so I would STRONGLY recommend getting the 12V LED's (LED's with the resistor already attached). Pick the colours you want to put in... may as well do the whole thing while you're at it... and solder them in. But, as always, be sure that the solder connections are solid so they don't break down from vibration down the road (bad pun, sorry), and that they're not shorted.

Aside from that, when it comes to the odometer, exactly like Redog stated, it wont change at with a new or altered cluster - insurance/safety feature adopted years ago is to blame for that one.

I would also STRONGLY recommend that you get this car checked out for error codes once you're done. Either at a dealership or however else... to ensure that you haven't had the wool pulled over your eyes due to this moron busting out the lights... ...still baffles me WHY he/she would do it...

Hope this helps...

and for the record, my 1000th was right after Candace#1 (pawz) posted a reply to fun with my... errr... I can only assume "car" is what she meant.
-Why the hell not?
Eh_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:49 AM   #10
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
hahahha yep. and hush... dont even act like the 1000th post thing wasnt planned out...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
Midgear
on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
I'm wondering if it's odometer fraud. Put the odometer from a different alero and smash out the bulbs to show error codes... pretty cheap way to increase the resale value of the 'ho

I never thought of that, and that scares me. I know i have bad wheel hubs because my traction control doesnt work, but i have no lights that show that they are out. they've been ripped off the board.. im going to confront my dealer about this and see if he cant chip in to get a new board or entire cluster, if that fails, im gonna go get some LED's..

by the way, where do you pick up LED's like that

Edit: My odometer now reads 161,200 miles.. so i believe those are original lol
Old 04-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #12
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
lol unless it had 500,000 miles and 161,200 miles happens to make it worth value of the pink slip

before you take it to the dealership i'd take it to a mechanic you trust and pull all the codes off it first and see if you can find dates on em too. That way if there's codes from when the car was in their possession you can pin it on them
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
If all the bulbs are broken off, you might have a fun time trying to get the rest of them out... really all you'll need to do is just buy new 194 bulbs to replace all of them..... if you want LEDs... Just get some 194 LED bulbs that just slide right in... no wireing... all you REALLY need to do is solder the wire on the LED to the connector to help hold it in place.. I didn't, but it will hold them in better...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #14
Midgear
on vacation

I'll take pictures of what the damage is tomorrow.. i dont think you can just "slide" these LED's into place.. theres nothin to hold them on or connect wires to.. i think its gotta be soldered.. sodered.. or however you say / spell that word.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:16 AM   #15
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
oh.. well if they completely removed the metal pieces in the piece that holds the lights, then I would get some new ones. lol I might have to take one out tomorrow if I have time and show you what I did...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #16
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
by the way, where do you pick up LED's like that

go on ebay and search for super bright LED's, you can get like 100 for $15 WITH resistors, really cheap and very much worth it!!
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote