Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #21
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
so the caps sucking everything down in a 24+hr period, if thats it ill be screwed while this things stored in freshman parking
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #22
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
so the caps sucking everything down in a 24+hr period, if thats it ill be screwed while this things stored in freshman parking
I got to wondering if you have checked all your connections to make sure nothing is grounding out?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #23
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:

that is physically impossible. caps only draw from battery, when there is a draw on the cap.

no draw on the cap, no draw on the battery.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
If you can find nothing wrong in your electrical system, take the battery in to get checked (preferably where you bought it).

I have been through 3 redtops in as many years. This time, I got Autozone's house brand, and have had no problems. Normally Optima's are good for what they are designed for, but you will get some lemons out of em once in awhile (often, according to the guy doing the exchange at the counter).

And in truth, I'm not an audio guru, but back in my day, we used to run our audio equipment off a deep cycle separate from our cranking battery, with an isolator to allow charge but no draw off the primary system.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
yup, bought a yellowtop and it was bad right off the shelf, wouldn't hold charge for nothing.

Ditch that cap too, boy, you don't need it.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #26
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=BlackJack;481120]If you can find nothing wrong in your electrical system, take the battery in to get checked (preferably where you bought it).

I have been through 3 redtops in as many years. This time, I got Autozone's house brand, and have had no problems. Normally Optima's are good for what they are designed for, but you will get some lemons out of em once in awhile (often, according to the guy doing the exchange at the counter).

And in truth, I'm not an audio guru, but back in my day, we used to run our audio equipment off a deep cycle separate from our cranking battery, with an isolator to allow charge but no draw off the primary system. [/quote]

That's how you should still do it today if you have the room and the cash. Good Point BlackJack

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #27
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

hmm ok ill get the battery checked, but lonnie is there anypoints i should check for grounding out
Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #28
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
hmm ok ill get the battery checked, but lonnie is there anypoints i should check for grounding out
After you get the battery checked and if it checks out I would check all the aftermarket power connections. Put a meter on the battery terminals with the car running...should read about 14v give or take...if not could be the alternator not charging the battery. Before you do all that though the quickest way to trouble shoot this problem is take the aftermarket components out of the loop. Once you eliminate the cap and the amp then the only thing ....that should be left is the head unit. If you don't have any issues then you know its either the amp or the cap, and you can put the amp back in without the cap to see if the problem still exist...if not then its the cap. If you do have an issue once you take the amp and cap out of the loop then you know it is either from the head unit or wiring to and from. Its allot quicker to trouble shoot the components first....make sure your battery is charged...and like Ryan said get a meter where you can check the voltage periodically. Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #29
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

ok the new battery it whet away, i went back and double checked all hardwireing i had done for the radar scanner and etc, it all checks out, now ive also make it so the radar and my phone chargers are only on when the car is running.

the battery still died
now im gonna let the car sit for a few hours the batter said 12.3 with teh car off and so did the cap when i locked the doors,

in a few hours when it check if the battery reads lower and that capacitro reads the same im gonna have to assume the capacitor is steadily but slowly loosing charge and drawing more form the battery, there for causeing the battery to die over a 2 or 3 day period
Old 08-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #30
Crazytaxi37
The Dark Lord

Crazytaxi37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Crazytaxi37
I went through 3 red tops in my alero before finding out what the issue was. Each time i ended up with a bad cell. If the cap is not the issue, look toward other things like gauges. My issue was my gauges. I had 3 FAZE gauges in my pod that the lights turned off but they for whatever reason were always drawing a voltage. Killed that red top repeatedly. Was after a week or more sitting though. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
wow, I wouldn't have figured you to be the type to have FAZE gauges.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #32
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
yep i have had a dud yellowtop. nothing like a no-start with a pricey ass battery. screw that shit I just stick to the basics now.. I'll put in an Interstate battery when my delco dies in the balt!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #33
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

this is the second redtop i had got a new one like u guys recommended, but i have led gauges, how can i check there for the issues the battery now says 12.1 and the cap says 12.1
thats down from 12.3 on both at 6:30
Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #34
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Hey Genius...

Take the FUSE out of the power wire up front, give it a few hours and take another measurement...

That will tell you if its because the radio stuff or if its something else...
Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #35
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

the car was fine for 3 days with the power cable off the battery
Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #36
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroDrime View Post
the car was fine for 3 days with the power cable off the battery

you have found your problem!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #37
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

im driving to the other side of the city tomorrow so i can go over the whole wiring job i did with my audio dude
Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #38
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
If you are suspecting the cap, pull it out.

You need to start removing things to find the real culprit. Its not going to jump out and scream "you got me" when you look at it.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #39
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
^lulz
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #40
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

caps out, all my grounds checked out and my wiring did too
but cant let the car sit, its gotta get cleaneded on the inside tommorow gotta date ARGF is GONE