Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-10-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
bigd6983

I have always though it would be pretty cool to put one there, and seeing as I cant see the flipdown one, and i like my cd player and dont want an indash tv, I was thinkin of buying a spare cover like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33719

pulling out the airbag, cutting a hole and mounting a tv in there.........what do you guys think........I know its illegal to have on while driving........but would be cool dont you think.........or is that just asking for my car 2 get broken into??
Old 09-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
aggggggggg another one here

Ok here's the situation, your going 80mph driving normally, all of a sudden a car cuts you off and you hit him or the median. Air bags are suppose to deploy but dont becasue now you have shardes of that tv embedded in your stomach, also your passenger is lodged in the windshield because the air bags both work off the same censor so to get rid of 1 is getting rid of both of them. There are tons of other spots to put your tv in the car, but removing something thatll save your life (especially on a daily driver) is not smart at all

Why else do you think I never got rid of my air bags while I drove my car, and even now I still have them in just becasue I do drive the car once and a while.

#1 - Safety issue
#2 - Ticket for removing the air bag (yes its illegal to even remove them)
#3 - Ticket for tv on and in view of the driver.

But its your choice
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
if i saw that in a car i would steal it in a minute h34r:
Old 09-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
bigd6983

thanks silent..........i never knew if one was removed they both wouldnt work.......i was kinda ok with not having mine but theres no way id do that to a passenger.........i just though it was illegal to have it playing while u were driving......but cancel that idea.......

you say there is a lot of places, such as where?? because i cant think of any that are low key, nice smooth install......ive seen some screwed to that overhead compartment, which looks tacky........

and dang you jackal lol........i dont live in the best of neighborhoods.......so thats the last thing i need........
Old 09-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
other places, well not to suer how keen ya are on fiberglassing but if you can the places are endless

put it on the adsh but leave the cord to disconnect easy so you can take it off like a detachable radio, thats wwhat I did, or remove the top holder and put it up there, i did that to.....or in front of the glove box.

see if you can fiberglass the possibilities are endless.
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:59 PM   #6
isellalerodrop

off the subject but what in a processor and do i need ot to run tvs in my car? i have the tv and the dvd player unit but was told i need a one before the instal
Old 09-11-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
cwm33

TV in the steering wheel?

there are easier ways to commit suicide than that.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Yeah get one of those side out deals in place of the radio, I think they look better anyway

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:19 PM   #9
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
It will be a while before I could afford the dvd route. In the meantime I have been thinking of a few places I would like. At the moment none of the lcd screens look good in direct sunlight. They don't have a backlight powerfull enough. For this reason the dash and console are not a option for me. The flip downs on the roof are ok but can be tacky. I would either go with a dual head rest or a modified flip down in the moon roof. For the cost of two decent 7 inch lcd's you can go with a 15. I think putting one of those on a sliding tray under your moonroof would be real sweet.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:50 PM   #10
Steve03TropicTeal

put htem in the visors!

that way you can fold them up (no ticket i dont think).

and they are right in front of you, so even if you only get a 7" its so close its like a big screen TV!

my friend has a pair in his escape. looks good. some companies make universal visors that will just replace stock ones..

id unno if they will fit on our leros tho...
Old 09-12-2004, 10:06 PM   #11
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
I'm sorry, but I think anyone that replaces thier steering wheel with an aftermarket one or mods thier stock one is a moron. Airbags save lives, thats for damn sure.

I should be dead by now if it wasn't for airbags. I've ate 4 airbags allready.

Ford airbags suck, they basically are a burlap sack.
GM airbags are a bit better.
Toyota airbags rock! They are so comfy and silky smooth. I wanted to cut that damn thing out of the passenger side dash and make a pillow out of it.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:48 AM   #12
bigd6983

aside from it being stupid......and at the same time disconnecting the passengers along with it......i just thought it would be neat to have it right there......ive seen it done and its a nice touch......granted ive thought about it and on a everyday car i just wouldnt do it.......
Old 09-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #13
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by smokinAMD@Sep 12 2004, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry, but I think anyone that replaces thier steering wheel with an aftermarket one or mods thier stock one is a moron. Airbags save lives, thats for damn sure.

I should be dead by now if it wasn't for airbags. I've ate 4 airbags allready.

Ford airbags suck, they basically are a burlap sack.
GM airbags are a bit better.
Toyota airbags rock! They are so comfy and silky smooth. I wanted to cut that damn thing out of the passenger side dash and make a pillow out of it.
air bags might save lives but the gen 2 bags didn`t and the gen 3 bags don`t either and most bags are made out of the same material
anyway i am not goin to get into a discussion about air bags
what you want to do is stupid i am sorry but c`mon think about it and how stupid it would look this is my opinion
and as far as changing the wheel why not............ illegal??? no i don`t think so removing the air bags yes that is do i personally care about being legal no not really and what are the chances of getting pulled over and the cop giving you a hard time?? and do you really think the cop is goin to know if you have your bags removed??? highly doubt it
but it`s ur car ur money do what you want
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #14
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I have one slight disagreement with the airbag thing...seatbelts save lives...airbags are additional help...I have had 2 different friends that have had their bags go off... both had powder burns and one has a scar from it...they also were not driving fast enough to get basic whiplash (immediate jerk to the front) but when the bag deployed they received reverse whiplash...head went slighty forward and then a powerful kickback from the bag slamming the head into the head rest...I just believe that airbags have a ways to go in development and every situation is different.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:01 PM   #15
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by atramell@Sep 13 2004, 08:30 PM
I have one slight disagreement with the airbag thing...seatbelts save lives...airbags are additional help...I have had 2 different friends that have had their bags go off... both had powder burns and one has a scar from it...they also were not driving fast enough to get basic whiplash (immediate jerk to the front) but when the bag deployed they received reverse whiplash...head went slighty forward and then a powerful kickback from the bag slamming the head into the head rest...I just believe that airbags have a ways to go in development and every situation is different.
This is true... when i hit that bear on the highway the other night, it would have been quite possible for the airbags to go off... and if they had, insted of me just having some minor body damage...
IF they had deployed.... my car would have prolly either been in the ditch, At 70mph... or hit by one of the Semi's behind me... So i could really care less if they deploy or not.
Put the tv there if you want, just think a lil bit first
Visor would be a better choice.

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:56 PM   #16
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
The air bag is not illegal in the since that a cop will pull you over and ticket you for dissabling it. They are illegal because anyone riding in your vehicle is under your resposibility. That goes for a passenger or driver (with your permission). If you dissable the airbag willingly and someone gets hurt you are not only responsible but can get a manslaughter charge pressed against you.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:53 PM   #17
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mikegett@Sep 14 2004, 02:56 AM
The air bag is not illegal in the since that a cop will pull you over and ticket you for dissabling it. They are illegal because anyone riding in your vehicle is under your resposibility. That goes for a passenger or driver (with your permission). If you dissable the airbag willingly and someone gets hurt you are not only responsible but can get a manslaughter charge pressed against you.
They would have to prove that the lack of an airbag resulted in a death, good luck with that.
Passengers dont get in my car and say "oh im Wayy more safe in this alero because it has a airbag" No one cares if they are in a car with an airbag or not, for the most part. And i doubt they would hold you responcible for something like that.

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote