Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #21
cherryfrog
GX Member

cherryfrog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cherryfrog Send a message via MSN to cherryfrog Send a message via Yahoo to cherryfrog
ok i'm sorry i was going off 2 hours of sleep yesterday. forgive me ?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
You're the one who said "cover" lol. She just said "thermostat" and mentioned it going in the "red."

I'm just bustin your balls since you're new
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
and the 3400s have that same "cover" you are talking about as the 3100, underneather the throttlebody, sandwiched between the motor and the cross-over pipe, which can be a pain in the ass.....
Old 12-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #24
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
You're the one who said "cover" lol. She just said "thermostat" and mentioned it going in the "red."

I'm just bustin your balls since you're new

true. to me i had the idea that the thermostat was visibly seen being red. and so i asumed that the only part you could actully see waht the cover on the thermostat. takes a little to be a lot off i guess.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #25
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looked it over isn't going to tell you if the head gasket is good. I would do a compression check after all that overheating if I were you.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #26
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
Looked it over isn't going to tell you if the head gasket is good. I would do a compression check after all that overheating if I were you.

what i was thinking
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #27
cherryfrog
GX Member

Send a message via AIM to cherryfrog Send a message via MSN to cherryfrog Send a message via Yahoo to cherryfrog
how do i do that lol?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #28
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Rent a compression tester from an auto parts store like AutoZone.
  • remove the IDI cover
  • pull out the fuel pump relay
  • unscrew the spark plugs
  • thread in the compression tester into one cylinder
  • crank the engine over a few times and take a look at the gauge, note peak pressure
  • reset the compression tester gauge
  • repeat for next 3 cylinders.
If any are a lot lower than the rest, you've got a problem. If they're all very close to each other, you should be good.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #29
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Rent a compression tester from an auto parts store like AutoZone.
  • remove the IDI cover
  • pull out the fuel pump relay
  • unscrew the spark plugs
  • thread in the compression tester into one cylinder
  • crank the engine over a few times and take a look at the gauge, note peak pressure
  • reset the compression tester gauge
  • repeat for next 3 cylinders.
If any are a lot lower than the rest, you've got a problem. If they're all very close to each other, you should be good.

might be a good idea to do this when the engien is NOT screaming hot. you risk stripping the threads with the aluminum head. on a side note...

the OP mentioned the oil light flashing on and off...
Background info: i bought my car (LD9) alst feb. and if you drive it for 10 miles it was fine. drove it for 11 or more and the oil light would come on at idle. hooked a machanical guage up where the sensor went and had 3psi at idle once hot. put some Lucus oil treatment in it and beat-feet to new hampshire. had no problems.

weather warmed up (summer time) and the car overheated, oil light came on at idle and when i shut if off coolant gushed out of the overflow. checked cap and found the cap bad. best guess is coolant was boiling in the head and thats why it flowed over BEFORE the fans ever kicked on.

OK so now: the last oil change i put in Delvac 1300 oil and a little bit of lucus. nice and thick. no light. changed my oil thursday at 3k and for shits and giggles i didnt put lucus in with 5w-30 and ran it all the way to maine 238miles and NEVER had the light come on at idle.

its possible that:
somethign was stuck in the pick-up tube and its now gone,

the fact that i didnt have any coolant pressure and now i do has something to do with it,

thers a tiny bit of diesiel oil still in the 5w-30.

after that whole mess and major hi-jacking.... anyone else have screwy oil lights... i personly think it has something to do with my radiator cap and i was hoping somone could verify.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #30
[ion] C2
636 whp

Coolant has nothing to do with oil pump operation... Oil flow is all mechanical.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #31
cherryfrog
GX Member

funny thing is my coolent light was never coming on it was my oil light. my oil is find just had a oil change 300 miles ago. and my boyfriend checked it all out and the oild is fine. but it was the coolent that was low. we put coolent in and had to replace the radiator cap and everything has been fine since. well besides having to get it flushed since a a friends borther put rv antifreeze in it grr
Old 12-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #32
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Coolant has nothing to do with oil pump operation... Oil flow is all mechanical.

i know that. i didntk now if coolant is boiling in the head might do somethign. weird shit happens.