Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
pappyl
GX Member

pappyl is on a distinguished road
2003 Alero: Looking for HowTo on Pulling Steering Wheel

Brass plate for horn button is warped causing horn to go off when one turns steering wheel (yes, quite annoying). Taped up button for now, but no horn so I want to fix.

Need to pull the steering wheel - does anyone have the steps? Do not want to bugger up something worse doing this piece.

Thanks
pappyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
i am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your vehicle or yourself.

AIR BAG REMOVAL:

Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .

Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.

Rotate the steering wheel ½ turn in order to access the screws to the steering wheel inflator module at the back of the steering wheel.

Use a T30 TORX® in order to remove the inflator module screws.

Gently pull the inflator module from the steering wheel.

Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the yellow SIR electrical connector.

Disconnect the yellow SIR electrical connector from the steering wheel inflator module.

Disconnect the horn ground lead from the steering wheel.

Rotate the horn contact lead (2) counterclockwise ¼ turn in order to remove the horn contact lead from the steering column shaft tower.

Remove the steering wheel inflator module

STEERING WHEELO REMOVAL

Remove the steering wheel nut (1).

Notice: When removing the steering wheel with the specified steering wheel puller and the steering wheel adapter legs, ensure that the left leg tab is down and the right leg tab is up. This will prevent the steering wheel and puller from binding and will prevent damage to the steering column's integrity.

Remove the steering wheel using J 1859-A  (1) and J 42120  (2).

Disconnect the electrical connectors (4) from the column.

Route the electrical connectors (4) through the steering wheel opening.

Remove the steering wheel (2) from the vehicle.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
I hated when my horn did that! I had just got to work and all of a sudden halfway walking in it just started going off for a few minutes straight before I could get back to the car and unplug the horn -.-
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
pappyl
GX Member

Thanks Graham I will give this a shot.
Seems a bit more tricky with that bloody inflator module. I'll have to search the site for the SIR system disable - am assuming unplugging the battery and pulling letting it wind out for 30min.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
yes. pull the battery. you can wait as long as you would like to feel good about it but 10 minutes should be long enough.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
lol... if you are anything like me, it will take you almost 1/2 hr to get to the screws to remove the air bag after disconnecting the battery!!! such a pain to do, especially lining the torx screws back up to reassemble!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyl View Post
Thanks Graham I will give this a shot.
Seems a bit more tricky with that bloody inflator module. I'll have to search the site for the SIR system disable - am assuming unplugging the battery and pulling letting it wind out for 30min.

You still have a snap ring to take out after you do all of what graham posted. There is a spring behind the horn ring that pushes the ring up against the snap ring. The spring is the biggest pain of the whole deal. Its hard to push the spring in and get the snap ring out at the same time.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
pappyl
GX Member

Am hoping once I get it pulled that I manage to hammer the plate nice and straight.
Seems everytime I try to fix something on this car I tend to break something in the process. I am cursed.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyl View Post
Am hoping once I get it pulled that I manage to hammer the plate nice and straight.
Seems everytime I try to fix something on this car I tend to break something in the process. I am cursed.

Are you replacing the ring or just gonna try to straighten it?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
pappyl
GX Member

straighten it if I can
Would probably need a wrecker part otherwise - expect that it is a dealer item and therefore priced beyond reasonableness.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

When I replaced mine it was about $22, that was around 8 years ago though. If your gonna go through the trouble to take it all apart I would put a new one in, thats just me though.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
the problem around here is to get the steering wheel puller. Without it your are probably braking your wheel in half.

As this thread is useless without pics, I link you to my homepage
http://gm-alero.de/83/airbag-lenkrad -- this one is about the Airbag (disregard the pics later on, about the steering sensor and shavings)

or this is how I fixed a broken mount for the horn contact
http://gm-alero.de/84/reparatur-hupenkontakt
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
pappyl
GX Member

Thanks folloutboy....

Got me worried about this cable now...
Google translate had some problems with a few of the words used but I get the gist of it.

And also, thanks to everyone else as well.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
what cable?
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #15
Garfield
GX Member

Garfield is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old thread, but I need to replace my steering wheel, and I saw on another forum that it says you need to secure the clockspring tab that isn't mentioned above.

Is that something that is necessary? If so, does anyone have some pictures or instructions on exactly what to do?
Cherry: 2004 Alero GLS Sedan (Final 500 #362) ~63k
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I have installed an after market wheel on mine. The airbag requires a specialty bit to remove for one thing. You can then get into your cruise control and horn wires. Once thats out you will need to rent a puller and go at it. besides the big ass bolt its pressure fit on there very well, my wheel cracked before it was 3/4 of the way off. The split made it trash so be very careful and pull equally on both sides. its a pretty strait forward procedure, make sure to make some marks along the way so you can keep everything lines up for re-assembly.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #17
Garfield
GX Member

Garfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
I have installed an after market wheel on mine. The airbag requires a specialty bit to remove for one thing. You can then get into your cruise control and horn wires. Once thats out you will need to rent a puller and go at it. besides the big ass bolt its pressure fit on there very well, my wheel cracked before it was 3/4 of the way off. The split made it trash so be very careful and pull equally on both sides. its a pretty strait forward procedure, make sure to make some marks along the way so you can keep everything lines up for re-assembly.

Papa, thanks that sounds fairly easy. As far as specialty bit, it just takes a T35 to get the airbag off, and I used a three leg gear puller to get the one off from the JY.

Does the part on the site I linked to about securing the clockspring before pulling the steering not apply to Aleros? (That is the only part I am worried about.)
Cherry: 2004 Alero GLS Sedan (Final 500 #362) ~63k
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #18
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I havent checked out the link but to my knowledge you shouldnt have to. I didnt go past the little black modal (I think its something to with the airbag?) that sits right behind the wheel. If you delv further than that you are beyond my knowledge.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote