Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
wws944
GX Member

wws944 is on a distinguished road
Windshield wiper stuttering

I have a new-to-me 2004 Alero GLS. The car has been stored for the past six years and has only 13k miles. Despite the low miles, there are a few things to sort out. My first Olds, but I have been fooling around with cars, both GM and non-GM, for a long time. So I should be up to speed on it shortly.

One issue it has is the windshield wipers. Sometimes, on the intermittent setting, they will go to full sweep - but then come back down in stages. Maybe a quarter second between each stage. This does not happen on non-intermittent settings. In fact, switching to regular wipe and then back to intermittent seems to 'fix' it for awhile.

Is this a common problem? Is there a wiper module that might have cold solder connections?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
first of all, welcome to the site, and very nice find!!! 13k miles wish i had that..

other then that, im not sure, mines done that once the whole time i have owned the car.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
wws944
GX Member

Thanks for the welcome! The car belonged to an uncle of mine who recently passed away. I wish he could have driven it more than he did. As of a week ago, it only had 11k miles. But then my son and I put on about 2k miles over the past few days driving it to its new home.

Besides the wipers, another problem is a squeal from the serp belt area when cold. It goes away within a minute or two. Listening to it with a stethoscope, I am thinking I need to replace the upper idler pulley. Alternator, PS pump, and water pump sound fine, as does the lower idler pully. Might need to replace the tensioner pulley too - as it sounds a bit rough.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Sitting like that is bad at least it was garaged. I want pics cause this sounds too good to be true
Old 08-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Spray the belt with water when it squeals. If it goes away then put a belt on it. Check all the puleys for dirt when u have the belt off too
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
wws944
GX Member

I'll give the water trick a try this morning and see what happens with the squealing.

So no thoughts on the wiper problem? It doesn't rain very often here, so I can ignore it for a while. But like Morton salt, "when it rains it pours".
Old 08-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
mine has issues with the intermittent settings doing that if i am at idle but if i am driving it is just fine, don't make much sense, however half the time by the time i decide to stop using mist and turn them on it is raining too hard for intermittent anyways
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
wws944
GX Member

I am going to get a chance to investigate this problem in a couple of weeks, and would like to get it resolved. Looking at the Haynes #38026 manual, there are only two things which could possibly be bad - one of the switches in the steering column, and the motor itself. Or more likely the circuit board attached to the motor has a cold solder joint. Considering the number of miles on the car, I am ruling out the switches. Am hoping I can simply touch up any soldered connections on the motors circuit board, and not have to replace the whole motor assembly.

Looking at page 12-14, it doesn't seem that difficult to r+r the motor assembly. Any tricks I should know about? Am thinking about going over to the Pick N Pull to practice on a junker.

Also, when looking up replacement motors, it seems that there was a running change in Feb 2003. Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion on this problem, I am wonder if it is primarily an issue with cars like mine with the post-Feb 2003 motors? Or do earlier ones have the same issue?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Might be a 2003+ thing. I had an 02 with 160kthe and never had an issue....have a 2000little now with 96k and the original motor. Swapping them is cake...take out the 4 clips thqt hold cowlthen pull it forward a little cause the back part of the cowl goes ynder the windshield. Obviously take wipers off first...good luck with that.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I have had mine apart before, my passenger side wiper arm broke free from the transmission so I did a personal upgrade so it won't happen again
Old 11-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Trace62
GX Member

Trace62 is on a distinguished road
Not too be an ass. But Have you changed the wipers. I bought mine with 120,000 and noticed a big difference.
Trace62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
wws944
GX Member

Thanks guys. Good to know the r+r is an easy job.

Trace: the wiper blades are clearly not an issue. The "stuttering" is 6 or so distinct stop-start-stop-start movements on the downward stroke.

My guess is that there is some problem with the intermittent wiper circuitry. Probably a cold solder joint or two. Looking at some photos of the motor, it looks like it should be easy to get to the circuit board.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
If your going to a you-pul to get a motor to practice... just swap it in the car and see if it fixes your problem first. no poin in wasting a good motor if you screw up for nothing. you verified that the wiper motor is indeed stopping (stuttering) and not just slipping on the trans?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
did the water trick work? mine squeals cause its got some powerstearing fluid on it, would the water trick help with my slight squeal?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
did the water trick work? mine squeals cause its got some powerstearing fluid on it, would the water trick help with my slight squeal?

the "water trick" only tells you where the noise is coming from. it does not fix anything. try degreaser on the belt and wash well. give it a few hundred miles to clean up. otherwise if its bad enough, get a new belt.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
sleepyalero
GLS member

okay thanks man
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
wws944
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post

I created another thread on this in the LA1 3400 Specific forum. It turned out that a new (Gates) belt fixed it.

Last edited by wws944 : 11-08-2012 at 04:00 PM.
wws944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #18
wws944
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
If your going to a you-pul to get a motor to practice... just swap it in the car and see if it fixes your problem first. no poin in wasting a good motor if you screw up for nothing. you verified that the wiper motor is indeed stopping (stuttering) and not just slipping on the trans?

By the time I buy it at the PNP, the price (including core charge, taxes, environmental fees, etc - this is California...) works out to nearly $40 for something that has a zillion miles, led a hard life, and is probably on its last legs. If I need to, I would rather buy a new part. OTOH, the $2 admission charge is an easy way to get a little practice on the r+r procedure, and take a good look at the part, before my daughter gets home with the car.

Last edited by wws944 : 11-09-2012 at 01:05 AM.
wws944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Might be a 2003+ thing. I had an 02 with 160kthe and never had an issue....have a 2000little now with 96k and the original motor. Swapping them is cake...take out the 4 clips thqt hold cowlthen pull it forward a little cause the back part of the cowl goes ynder the windshield. Obviously take wipers off first...good luck with that.

I am assuming that the same motors were used in cavy's and other gm models as well. I was on the ecotec forum and there were many people who also listed having this issue with the intermittent settings and most of them had 03's
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
wws944
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
I am assuming that the same motors were used in cavy's and other gm models as well. I was on the ecotec forum and there were many people who also listed having this issue with the intermittent settings and most of them had 03's

Yep, you are right. The Delco part number is 22711473. Besides the Grand Am, it also fits similar year (2003-2005) Cavaliers and Sunfires.

Looks like Grand Ams outnumber Aleros at the Pick-N-Pulls around here by about 5:1.