Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-10-2004, 08:31 AM   #21
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
:thumbsup: Got the lube and it worked!!!!! YIPPIE!!!!!!!!! No more creaking at least for now.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #22
mdodge
GLS member

mdodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mdodge
Holy cow, i've had this problem for a while now but didn't have any idea what was causing it till i read this thread just now. Excellent info guys thanks.
mdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:16 AM   #23
dbailey
GL Member

And it's soooo simple to do!! You get a small bottle from GM with what appears to be less than an ounce in each but it's enough. Cost me like $5 per bottle. Small price to get rid of the annoyance! I would have NEVER thought it was the piston in the caliper that was causing that noise!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #24
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
I took mine to the dealer and had them do it, but 2 days after I took it I heard the noise again when going to the ATM. I don't even know if the crappy dealer knew what they were doing. I showed them the tsb, but they showed no interest in it. So this weekend when I rotate my tires, I am going to spray some lube of my own around the piston. I am sick of the noise....
Old 12-21-2004, 07:01 PM   #25
dbailey
GL Member

Hmmm. Well that sux! Mine is still noise free. It worked on mine.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #26
a2k
GX Member

a2k is an unknown quantity at this point
I love this forum.. i really do.. and thanks to all who have descriptive thread names and not just 'need help'... :thumbsup:

yes i have this exact same problem.. and hence why im here -- i have the loud arse creaking noise.. but when the car is coming to the slow stop, i feel a pulsating in the brake pedal that correspondes to the clicks i hear outside.. so i feel a small pulse at the same time i hear the click..

did anyone else feel the pulsing too? is this related to this caliper crap?

if it wasn't winter here and since i dun have a garage.. guess i have to wait till spring to fix this.. cuz i hate it when the dealership touches my car.. i think they're all a bunch of morons...

thx.
a2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #27
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

I bet you have the famous rotor warp along with your claipers that need lube. As the pad moves along the warped rotors, it then causes the piston to push in and out which will cause the Caliper creak and the pulsation. Have you ever had your stock rotors and pads changed?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #28
a2k
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brsexton@Jan 6 2005, 06:44 PM
I bet you have the famous rotor warp along with your claipers that need lube. As the pad moves along the warped rotors, it then causes the piston to push in and out which will cause the Caliper creak and the pulsation. Have you ever had your stock rotors and pads changed?
plz dont get me started on the rotor warpage problem.. and yeah ive had them changed a bunch of times...

im now on raybestos rotors and ceramix (napa) ceramic brake pads...

hmm so u think my rotors cud be warped huh.. interesting.......
Old 01-06-2005, 02:26 PM   #29
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a2k+Jan 6 2005, 02:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (a2k @ Jan 6 2005, 02:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-brsexton@Jan 6 2005, 06:44 PM
plz dont get me started on the rotor warpage problem.. and yeah ive had them changed a bunch of times...

im now on raybestos rotors and ceramix (napa) ceramic brake pads...

hmm so u think my rotors cud be warped huh.. interesting....... [/b][/quote]
They may be if you are getting the pulsation. How long have you had your current brake setup? I have an 03 and I have had 3 sets of Rotors myself. This last set I got at Napa and put on myself. I just hope they last.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #30
dbailey
GL Member

I'd take the rotors off and have them turned if you have several thousand miles on them. It's cheap so it certainly can't hurt. Have the pads sanded flat, too! Unless it is a driving snow you can do it even in the cold. It is sooo easy and only two bolts to roll the caliper back. Only have to really take the bottom one out and just loosen the top one. You prolly already knew that. The lube part is just as easy. It comes in a small plastic bottle and while the caliper is rotated up, you just very carefully peel the rubber seal that is around the outside of the piston back and insert the tip of the plastic bottle and let it go from the top. It'll make its way around the piston to the bottom in like 2-3 minutes and then you just put it back together and walla! You're done. No more pulsating and no more creaking. Good luck dude! :thumbsup:
Old 01-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #31
Crolero

just got rid of my creaking breaks, got some WD-40 to clean the rust, took a high water pressure hose to the caliper and then added some lube. NO MORE CREAKING! YEAY!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #32
a2k
GX Member

i installed the new rotors and cermamic pads in April of this year.. they shouldn't be warping already right?!?! ive been though many sets of front pads/rotors -- but still on my original set (2000) of rears (is that normal?)

i have a free 'brake inspection' at my dealership that im going to use tomarrow.. lets see what those monkeys say...

next weekend is supposed to be 12 degrees here in toronto (54 deg F).. yeah weather up here is retarded.. so i'll clean/lube the caliper then
Old 01-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #33
Dethwalkin

I have had this problem and do again. The 1st time I started to hear it the dealler said it was normal. Funny i didn't here it when it was new. It took me three dealerships and a big pain in the ass to find out the rotors were warped. That was around 30.000km. They machined the front rotors and changed the pads due to premature ware. They said the backs were fine. The funny thing is, They said that this repair is covered just once. Even thought I have the extended warrenty. Now at 38,000km, the noise is back. Lets do the math shall we. I may have to pay to fix the rotors 2 times before the warrenty runs out.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #34
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dethwalkin@Jan 11 2005, 02:11 PM
I have had this problem and do again. The 1st time I started to hear it the dealler said it was normal. Funny i didn't here it when it was new. It took me three dealerships and a big pain in the ass to find out the rotors were warped. That was around 30.000km. They machined the front rotors and changed the pads due to premature ware. They said the backs were fine. The funny thing is, They said that this repair is covered just once. Even thought I have the extended warrenty. Now at 38,000km, the noise is back. Lets do the math shall we. I may have to pay to fix the rotors 2 times before the warrenty runs out.
If you are getting the creak, then its not the rotors. Its the caliper piston. The reason it went away the first time is because they pushed the caliper piston in to install the new pads. It says in the TSB that will only fix it temp. You need to just put some lube around the piston. That should solve your problem.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #35
a2k
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brsexton@Jan 11 2005, 07:19 PM
If you are getting the creak, then its not the rotors. Its the caliper piston.
i think he means the problem I am having -- and that is the syncronized creaking + pulsating in the break pedal....
Old 01-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #36
a2k
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dethwalkin@Jan 11 2005, 07:11 PM
That was around 30.000km. They machined the front rotors and changed the pads due to premature ware. They said the backs were fine. The funny thing is, They said that this repair is covered just once. Even thought I have the extended warrenty.
The GM dealership replaced my front rotors and pads at 35,000km. Problem is they replace the low quality rotors with -- you guessed it -- low quality rotors. So at 70,000 when the vibration came back -- they refused to change it because according to GM, on brake parts, wear and tear components, such as brakes, are not covered after 60,000 -- even though the new rotors they gave me only had 30,000 on em.. stupid monkeys at the dealerships.. grrrr...
Old 01-31-2005, 08:51 AM   #37
dbailey
GL Member

That TSB on the lube is the fix. So easy to do too. I'm still having no noise since I did it several thousand miles ago. :thumbsup:
Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 AM   #38
a2k
GX Member

i had the dealership do a brake inspection while i was getting an oil change (only cuz the inspection was free - i had a coupon).. and noise is gone... i'm sure it will come back.. but if it comes back in the spring/summer/fall i can fix it myself.. winter.. too damn cold.. hehehe
Old 02-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #39
midbluealero

This may be a whole other problem, but the brakes were creaking on my car,and I had someone press the brake while I watched the caliper, and the caliper itself actually flexed. I repalced the calipers, and the creaking is gone, and most of all, no flexing!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #40
dbailey
GL Member

Glad its gone (for now). Keep in mind the TSB on the lube though if it comes back. Way cheaper than replacing everything. :thumbsup: