Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 11-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
CarGodz
GX Member

CarGodz is on a distinguished road
FAQ for What size Alternator do I need

Well after proofing all the FAQ and How To threads I noticed that there is none on a good simple explanation of figuring out what size alternator you may need for your particular application.

Note: This is a simple FAQ for daily drivers and not power hungry professional SPL systems that require the charging of Many batteries.

Q: What size Alternator do I need?

A: This is a question that seems to be arising more and more these days with the addition of larger (more powerful) amplifiers.

1)First you will need to look at the amplifier(s) themselves and their fuse values (total).
2)Next you will be required to know the amperage rating of your stock alternator

Most typical stock alternators use a value of 70-80%, meaning that the vehicles maximum load is 70-80% used under vehicle usage.
Note: The more power accessories your vehicle has the more of an average load draw there will be... So for this reason we will take the average of 75% for this demonstration.

Now we take the alternators amperage rating and multiply an average of 75% (you may use 80% if you wish to allow yourself an added protection of power). Now take that number and add the total fuse values of the amplifier(s) and the final figure will be how much power you will require from an alternator.

Side Note #1: The addition of added aftermarket items that will require power will increase your amperage load and you should judge accordingly. Items such as Video Monitors, On Board Gaming Systems, DVD Players, Lighting, ETC. may not require a huge amount of power alone, but added with together or with an aftermarket audio system may have a larger load than expected. If you are planning (or even thinking about) the additional items afore mentioned then you may wish to just add the total calculated fuse value(s) to the stock 100% value of the alternator.

Side Note #2: If you are currently only adding a single amp for subwoofer(s) and are planning (or even thinking about) the additional amplifier(s) for highs, midrange, components, etc. then please estimate the amount of power required and add to the total fuse value(s) to save yourself the headache, time, and money of having to upgrade your alternator again in the future.

Examples:
Example #1
Adding a single amplifier with (2) 40 amp fuses
Stock alternator rated at 90amps
Fuse values total = 80 amps
90 x 75% = 67.5 (always round up) = 68
68 + 80 = 148
So therefore you will require an alternator with a rating of around 150 amps

Example #2
Stock alternator rated at 105 amps
105 x nothing as we will (or do) add for additional items (let’s just say Monitor, DVD, HID lighting, & a couple neons)
80 + 105 = 185
So therefore you will require an alternator with a rating of around 185 amps

Example #3
Adding multiple amplifiers with (2) 40 amp fuses (amp #1) and (2) 25 amp fuses (amp #2)
Stock alternator rated at 120 amps
Fuse values total = 130 amps
120 x 75% = 90
130 + 90 = 220
So therefore you will require an alternator with a rating of around 220 amps

Side Note #3: While other electrical components of your vehicle may help such as the Big 3, Upgraded or Additional Batteries, (Capacitors not suggested, see below) these are not a direct replacement for creating power and are only to assist in transferring and storing power and are Not and should Not be used as a substitute.

Side Note #4: Capacitors are great for handling quick voltage spikes to help in fluctuations of power but are not an end all solution for additional power needs. A capacitor (used properly) should not have to exceed 1 farad and again is not a replacement for creating power... Oh and since I know you're gonna ask "Then why do they make bigger caps?" Answer: Cause they know that misinformed people will buy them and after all companies are in the business of making money.

Thanks and above all when dealing with electricity of any sort, think smart and safe for yourself and your equipment
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
someone sticky this... for the love of pete!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Man that post is 1 year 2 months and a few days old.

lol

You guys should really stop by my forum if you want FAQs...lol
Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
CarGodz
GX Member

Yeah I know it's an older FAQ that I wrote and have on other boards, but it seemed sensible to put it up here since there are a lot of people confused about this and think that adding a cap (or getting a larger cap or even second battery) will solve all their problems... And in most cases it only causes more.
So as a method of convenience I thought I'd put it up here too
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i havent fixed my electrical problems yet, it gets real confusing when you have a mile worth of wiring in your car lol

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
mach3
V.I.P. Member

mach3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGodz View Post
Examples:
Example #1
Stock alternator rated at 90amps
90 x 75% = 67.5 (always round up) = 68
68 + 80 = 148
So therefore you will require an alternator with a rating of around 150 amps

In theory, this makes sense, but in practicality, this is far from the truth. There is alot more factors that need to be consider ie: normal listening volume, length of time operated at that volume, size of the power wire to the amps etc.

It's easy to just say go out and get 150 amp alternator if only cost a few bucks but clearly that's not going to be the case and making costly decision base only on the formula above is pretty naive.
mach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
its true enough that music is transient and your not always pulling maximum amp. Actually maximum amp draw is probably a momentarily blip unless you are clipping heavy.

The formula is a round about guideline, not an end all be all. There is no end all be all equation.

this will put you in the ball park for worst case condition.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
CarGodz
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
its true enough that music is transient and your not always pulling maximum amp. Actually maximum amp draw is probably a momentarily blip unless you are clipping heavy.

The formula is a round about guideline, not an end all be all. There is no end all be all equation.

this will put you in the ball park for worst case condition.

^ You got it Ryan
The idea is to have enough power for you not to have to worry about those nights when your lights are on, heater is blowing, defrosted on, etc. while still playing your music at full tilt.
This is by no means an end all solution, but a very useful guideline for those wishing to or needing to upgrade their alternator
Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCRUvX2D0E
Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
CarGodz
GX Member

^Coming sooner than you think lol

I guess I forgot to post here about the new alternators that will be out soon