Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
Question a couple problems, advice would be appreciated :)

hey guys! i'm new to the site, and i've been searching for an hour now for solutions to my 2 problems, but have yet to find something. first of all i'll introduce my girl to you ... i have a 99 GLS coupe with the 3400 V6.. she's got almost 106k miles and i've had it since june of last year, and i'm very pleased so far only have a couple questions for ya..

first of all, i have a noise coming from my passenger side.. i think the front tire. when i take off it's sort of like a rubbing noise, it's not like the constant humming i've seen described in other posts, it's squeaky and the noise becomes faster with higher speeds. it's almost like a rubbing noise i suppose.. also when my car was parked and turned off the other day, my boyfriend pushed the front right tire forward (rolled the car a little), and it made the squeaking noise...

second problem, i drove it down to my friends house (mostly an interstate drive, about 4 hours) about a month ago, and ended up having to get it towed back home because, after attempting to drive it back home for about 5 minutes, i realized the power steering was a little crazy. it works beautifully when my foot's on the gas pedal, but when i take it off the gas pedal, especially when i brake, it's like i hit the off switch with the power steering. even when sitting in park it's nearly impossible to turn (and it makes a groaning noise) unless you hit the gas and rev the engine, then it's fine. my car was also shaking really badly from that trip, but we found out that two of my tires needed replacing, which fixed the shaking, but i still have the power steering problem.

ha, sorry for writing a book, and sorry if it's a double post, but i just searched forever on here and couldn't find an exact match... if anyone can help with either of these problems it would be greatly appreciated!! thanks
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
welcome to the forum. im to tired to read your questions. someone else will answer in the morning. that is all. good night. and clear your corners..
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #3
99alerogirl
Female.

haha thanks... i understand, i wouldn't wanna read it at this hour either haha... and i'm going to clear my corners as soon as i get the courage to mess with it!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
99alerogirl
Female.

oh and also i forgot to mention, the power steering fluid is topped off, so that's not the problem...
Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
nickbain
GL Member

nickbain is on a distinguished road
hello and welcome! Your first problem could be your brakes, have you checked them lately? The second problem sounds as though either you power steering pump or steering rack or both of them are fooked. That happened to me with my first alero, I just developed stronger arms before I traded her in. hope this helps

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4
5.7 liters of gas suckin power!
33x12.5r15 Mud Terrians on 15x10 wheels

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321
nickbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
Welcome to the forum 99alerogirl. I have a 99 GLS Coupe also that I'm in the middle of overhauling. 245k miles. Take care of her and she'll take care of you!

Problem 1: A few things come to mind. Tire rubbing something it shouldn't, brake rotor rubbing something it shouldn't, or wheel bearing going bad, or as a last stretch, a CV axle going bad, but I doubt it. I would chock the rear wheels and set your parking brake, then jack up the front and put it in neutral and spin that right front wheel. Listen for the noise. Then remove the right front tire. Check the rotor for signs of rubbing, and spin the hub with the rotor on it. If no signs of rubbing, but it still makes the noise when you spin it, pull the caliper and rotor off and spin just the hub. If it still makes it at that point, I would guess the hub/bearing is bad. A failing CV axle will usually "clunk" more than squeak or hum.

Problem 2: As was already mentioned, it sounds like a steering pump or rack. As far as diagnosing which it is, someone else with more experience will probably have to chime in on that. Aside from swapping in a spare pump to test, which not everyone has access to obviously, I don't know how to go about testing.

Hope that helps some. Good luck!
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
first one sounds very similar to when my bearings went. which is a VERY common issue on our cars.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the site, and these guys will narrow your problem down in no time just keep good info coming in. Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome and have fun. Good luck with it all.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
first one sounds very similar to when my bearings went. which is a VERY common issue on our cars.

That's the first thing that came to my mind.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
99alerogirl
Female.

thanks for the replies! yeah i got new brakes right when i got the car, then had to get new ones again in oh i don't know... maybe around november. knowing the brake problems i've heard of with this car i wouldn't be surprised if i needed new ones again. and i know the rotors could probably changed, but i'll definitely check on that! has anyone found a way to make the brake pads/rotors last a little longer? are there any certain brakes or rotors i should look for to help with the quick wear? ha, if there's any way to get around forking out the money for that stuff every 6 months or so i'm in!

oh and the bearings were one of the things i was told that could be wrong, but i was also told maybe the ball joints? i had 2 ball joints break on my last car and the wheels fell off while i was driving it (haha), but i don't remember my old car making this noise. also i saw in some other threads that if it's the bearings then it will make a sound when turning a certain way, depending on the bearing. i always thought it was the way my dad put on my brakes, but from the way it's looking that grinding sound when i turn left is probably not just the brakes...

thanks guys

Last edited by 99alerogirl : 04-16-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
there are some decent performance brakes avail that everyone gets (forget the name) that seem to last a HELL of a lot longer then the OEMs. but if your rough on brakes, your gonna have to replace them every so many years anyway. (shouldn't be a couple a year... thats just redunkulous!)
Old 04-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out R1 concepts for rotors. I have had mine for two years with zero issues. I used full ceramic pads and just need to change them now, the rotors are still good. Since your brakes are new i would definately say that your front right bearing is toast. Second issue sounds identical to my power steering pump when it failed. Check the color and smell of the fluid. Is it green or brown? Does it smell burnt?
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
...just to chime in here the brake problem I had was the brake pins on the caliper were seized causing extreme wear on the pads since that has been changes pad wear is normal...I also changed my rotors, I didn't get any performance rotors or anything and the cheap ones I got have been doing really well only like 30 a piece, and for that price if I have a problem in the future I will just change them.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #15
99alerogirl
Female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
Check out R1 concepts for rotors. I have had mine for two years with zero issues. I used full ceramic pads and just need to change them now, the rotors are still good. Since your brakes are new i would definately say that your front right bearing is toast. Second issue sounds identical to my power steering pump when it failed. Check the color and smell of the fluid. Is it green or brown? Does it smell burnt?

when should i check if it smells burnt? when it's warm? or does it matter?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #16
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
I'd also have to say that your power steering pump is most likely failing. My car acts like that when its cold outside sometimes. Also, is your car idling right? my car has an idle issue every so often and when the idle gets really low, the power steering seems to die out below 800 rpm.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #17
99alerogirl
Female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeofSanity View Post
I'd also have to say that your power steering pump is most likely failing. My car acts like that when its cold outside sometimes. Also, is your car idling right? my car has an idle issue every so often and when the idle gets really low, the power steering seems to die out below 800 rpm.

nope it idles fine usually.. unless I have been ignoring the gas light (I'm a poor college student haha), but typically idles around 700 rpm. when its cold it idles a bit higher but either way the power steering acts the same
Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
PS pump is on it's way out if the fluid is brown or smells burnt.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
cherrington17
Gone

you can test the fluid for smell/color anytime, warm or cold.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
nickbain
GL Member

nickbain is on a distinguished road
a bad steering rack will cause the ps pump to go out, check em both.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4
5.7 liters of gas suckin power!
33x12.5r15 Mud Terrians on 15x10 wheels

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321
nickbain is offline   Reply With Quote