Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 07-15-2004, 04:06 AM   #1
Alero87

Hey i was wondering if anyone knew how i could i set my lights so i can turn them on manually at night? if anyone knows let me know. thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
misslindseysue

You can't. I mean, you can turn then on anytime. Can't turn them off when it's dark though.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Lucky_13

The only way to have your lights off at night is to... turn off your car, engage the parking brake, make sure lights are turned off, and then start your car. The lights will come on as soon as you release the brake though.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
alerosport.com

I thought there was something you could install lota splicing and cuting wires and such though, i think there was a fourm or two on it at grandamgt.com
Old 07-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
misslindseysue

You can disable the drl that way, but I don't think you can do that to the auto lights. A couple people have installed a led by the sensor so it thinks it's always light, and they stay off. Sounded like a huge PITA though.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
Sundayalero
GL Member

Sundayalero is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#GMspec
<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas. Just roll the roof back and screw it on, grease the face with white tanning butter and move out with the music at top volume, and at least a pint of ether.
-From the book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson </span>
Sundayalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:20 AM   #7
Grouch

dunno if that above linked method works on the 03 or not, but most any other year doing so with throw a SVS warning light. Someone with an 03 try it and let us know.

The only other way I know of is to get your hands on one of the DRL Kill kits that were made by a few guys on gagt.com a few years back. It killed the DRL's, killed the auto headlight feature and allowed you to use your fog lights independant of any other lights, ie fogs on only, fogs with hi beams, etc. I got one, but I ain't parting with it anytime soon. :P
Old 07-17-2004, 01:00 AM   #8
niral622
GX Member

niral622 is an unknown quantity at this point
The light sensor in the top of the dash is a light to resistance relationship (if you didnt know)...so if you take the sensor out, connect it to a multimeter and measure the resistance of the sensor in bright daylight, you can then replace the sensor with a resistor of equal value and fool the car into thinking its always daytime, and vice versa. note: this will only work for the auto-on feature...it wont stop the DRL's...there's another hack to disable the DRL's i'm pretty sure, not for the alero in particular, but search around for a hack in other GM cars, its probably the same concept . I was reading about it for the blazer sometime ago and it was something to do with a relay under the hood....if you solder two pins together, it disables DRL's, I don't remember exactly now....hope it helps
Old 07-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #9
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=4288

the way i posted takes care of drl's

as far as the automatic nighttime lights

I'm not sure if this works on aleros, however it does work on some GA's apparently

ALC bypass
at connector C2 find A3 the yellow/black wire, and B2 light green/black wire.. be careful because there are two light green/black wires on that connector.. the one you want is closest to the yellow/black wire.

cut these wires again leaving as much wire as possible attached to the BCM.. simply tie the two wires together and tape them up real good. (this is the same thing as removing ambient light sensor and adding a jumper wire)

The BCM will now think that it is daylight all the time and it will not energize the relay to turn on the headlights.

independant fogs instructions are available just PM me. Most people have been concerned about DRL and ALC bypasses..

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:49 AM   #10
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay: Here we go again for the thousanth time!.....I have been posting this since I got My Alero in "01" & everything still works fine.

I have an 01 alero & all I did to disable the DRLs was to unplug the Relay..pull off relay cover...put a piece of Matchbook paper between the relay contact's & reassemble Relay..plug back in & no more DRL's & no SVS light!!!

To disable My ALC all I did was pull the sensor out of it's holder..take a 5mm LED & a resistor (Radioshack#271-086 Resistor)..wire it to the Pos. side of LED & power source (cars Ign) & other side of LED to ground. Place Sensor & LED CLOSE in a homemade box or tube of sorts (so the sensor will catch all the light from the LED. So that when the Ign key is turned on the LED will light & fool the sensor into thinking it is daytime.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:51 PM   #11
brim
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by freeze12@Jul 20 2004, 05:49 AM
Okay: Here we go again for the thousanth time!.....I have been posting this since I got My Alero in "01" & everything still works fine.

I have an 01 alero & all I did to disable the DRLs was to unplug the Relay..pull off relay cover...put a piece of Matchbook paper between the relay contact's & reassemble Relay..plug back in & no more DRL's & no SVS light!!!

To disable My ALC all I did was pull the sensor out of it's holder..take a 5mm LED & a resistor (Radioshack#271-086 Resistor)..wire it to the Pos. side of LED & power source (cars Ign) & other side of LED to ground. Place Sensor & LED CLOSE in a homemade box or tube of sorts (so the sensor will catch all the light from the LED. So that when the Ign key is turned on the LED will light & fool the sensor into thinking it is daytime.
that's some swift mcguyver poop

follow the titans
Old 08-02-2004, 10:08 AM   #12
Grant

Where is the relay that you unplug located? I'm not sure if I'm reading two different things...one location is in the main fuse box under the hood...where is the other location (if there is one)?

What do you think about the procedure that cuts the pin?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #13
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
The Relay is under the Hood. Why cut the Relay Pin & destroy thr Relay when all You need is a piece of Paper between the Contacts & not destroy that Relay.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #14
Grant

Well...I was thinking of a more permanent fix as opposed to paper that could wiggle free. But, I suppose if done right, the paper block would last indefinitely and would allow for return of DRL's if needed.
Thanks for the info...
Old 08-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #15
brim
GLS member

stick with the paper, it's effective and reversible, and it won't go anywhere until you pull the relay apart again

follow the titans
Old 08-22-2004, 06:34 AM   #16
Hobbes

When the light sensor comes on and my auto lights come on, my service engine soon light also comes on, can I fix this? What I've been doing is turning my lights on before the auto feature works, but during daytime it's fine unless I go through a dark tunnel....

Do both the led light and the relay (matchbook paper) trick need to be combined?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:41 PM   #17
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, has anyone got recent experience with the DRL relay trick, 'cause I'm @ a loss as-to how to even get the damn relay OUT. Does it just pull out like a fuse? If-so, it's mighty-damned tight. issed:

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:49 PM   #18
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
yes... its REALLY tight yb. but just pull straight up.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:00 PM   #19
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
got it bro, thanks. :thumbsup: The mod works too. ( I think ) It's dark out, so I used a flashlight to disable th ALC, then started the car....no lights. I pulled the flashlight, and within say, 10 seconds, the lights came on. ( I'm assuming the light sensor in the dash sends the signal every 10 seconds or so ) Anyways, no SES light, so I'm good to go. B)

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #20
HAZED

ok im having a similar problem with the lights but my stay on all the time day night
sundown always on? is there a way to disable that or fix so its normal thanks