Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > Forced Induction Performance

Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, that explains it.

Another contributing factor to my poor ET and long turbo lag.

The fiberglass coating on the firewall has been deteriorating severely over the years. I took off my air filter about a week before I went to the track due to it being dirty/clogged. The day before I went to the track I duct taped the fiberglass up in an attempt to prevent any of it getting sucked into the turbo.

I noticed a more whiney noise from the turbo since I've gone to the track. I looked under the hood today finally and noticed the duct tape was missing. I immediately looked at the compressor and noticed a chunk missing off the end of one of the fins.... so the duct tape quite possibly got sucked in and minced by the compressor. I doubt all of it did... unless the turbo was really hungry.

I'm curious where the particles from the chipped fin went... and the duct tape. Car still feels great. Wonder if it happened on my final run at the track and it was quickly chopped and flown through the engine and out. Actually, the tape and whatever is probably all stuck at the intercooler. I need a new one anyway.

USE AN AIR FILTER

I might have to have my friend make me a nice tubular turbo manifold and put a new turbo on. This one is stuck to the current manifold anyway, 2 of the bolts are frozen in place and the head is rounding. I couldn't get them tightened or loosened when I had the head off back in March or whatever, so there's been a nice exhaust leak pre-turbo ever since.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Dumbass!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Go play with your LEDs!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
.............I'm curious where the particles from the chipped fin went... and the duct tape. Car still feels great. Wonder if it happened on my final run at the track and it was quickly chopped and flown through the engine and out. Actually, the tape and whatever is probably all stuck at the intercooler. I need a new one anyway.

Nah, just install the intercooler backwards, put a filter downstream from it and run it again, that'll clean it out!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

^LOL!

So I have to get in touch with a turbo rebuilder and determine what it would cost to have a new compressor wheel installed.

I met with Revshift and am having them make me a custom tubular turbo manifold. Everything will be v-band connections (bolts and gaskets are the death of me on exhaust leaks). The turbine housing's flange is going to be cut off and a v-band welded on. The downpipe will also be v-band connection.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
At least the entire thing didn't shatter to pieces and ruin your engine... Keep us updated!
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
At least the entire thing didn't shatter to pieces and ruin your engine...
Not yet at least.. lol

Intercooler would catch almost everything. I have a tube and fin one.

As usual, going to take this and turn it into an upgrade moment. With the tubular turbo manifold and zero exhaust leaks (currently you can feel the exhaust blowing out where the turbo and manifold meet), it should perform much, much better. Once it's all installed, I'll retune and get to the track.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Go play with your LEDs!

HaHaHa LOL!!! that.. was.. funny period....
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
one of the reasons i like s/c better than turbo...no lag
and you get response at lower rpms
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

Go for a ride with me, you get response. Ask alero_bmxer, he was passenger at ASS.

With a big exhaust leak and a broken fin, there's a short delay. I'd rather have lots of power at 4000 RPM and beyond than low power all the way across the board..
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
All i can reply to that is, "om, nom nom"
Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

it was hungry.

and what are you doing back on here?

also a new compressor wheel is only $63 and is easy to install. yay.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
it was hungry.

and what are you doing back on here?

Know what I could do with $63 worth of leds... Mmmmm....
Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:

Think of all you could have done with $63, if you did things right the first time

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
Know what I could do with $63 worth of leds... Mmmmm....

your car would be a freakin' Christmas tree...

but it would look cool.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
ion have you done a/c delete or any other weight reduction
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

a/c condenser is gone, going to replace the compressor with a bypass pulley soon. otherwise no. what is there to remove? i mean obviously spare tire/jack/tools/everything in the car is taken out, but i don't know what i'd hit for weight reduction. every 100 lbs removed is roughly equivalent to 0.1 sec lower ETs.

i'd be better off losing weight myself
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ yeah but your a big framed guy. If you lost 100 lbs, you'd probably look sickly

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #19
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Save up and get a billet compressor wheel
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

no, i'm not spending $300 on a wheel.