Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
how much does it really change

plenty of pics and posts on this. i see some aleros with just the the cone filter and some with the entire 3 piece full cold air intake. isnt the filter the main source of improvement? if im going to buy this is it really worth 50 extra to get the 3 piece intake? i have a hard time seeing a difference at the wheel from a cone to a entire cold air intake? opinions and facts welcome here!! also would there be a sound difference does the tubing change the sound or is it just the cone that gives that throaty sound?
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
not much. should be able to get the entire cold air intake for $50, not $50 on top of the other piece.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
You wont notice any difference really, no matter which one you decide to get.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
mainard
GX Member

mainard is on a distinguished road
Makes a nice growl at higher RPM's might be a good idea to disconnect the battery while installing. My MAF sensor messed up...
mainard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
cliffordwoeller
You got beat by an Alero!

cliffordwoeller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cliffordwoeller Send a message via MSN to cliffordwoeller Send a message via Yahoo to cliffordwoeller
wheres a good place to get the shorty CAI ?
cliffordwoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
No such thing as a shorty CAI unless you cut a hole in your hood. A cold air intake will make more power than a wai (warm air). If your filter is under the hood, its not a cold air intake. Having a WAI cone will hurt power, especially lower RPMs. I would stick with a K&N drop in filter over a cone in the engine bay.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
cliffordwoeller

Send a message via AIM to cliffordwoeller Send a message via MSN to cliffordwoeller Send a message via Yahoo to cliffordwoeller
i just dont like having that big ass black box under the hood
Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
Having a WAI cone will hurt power, especially lower RPMs. I would stick with a K&N drop in filter over a cone in the engine bay.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

My reaction too.

WAIs have better low end but little compared to a CAI which has better high RPMs

plus a CAI kinda whins like a turbo if you do it correctly.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
I notice better throttle response with a WAI. CAI I notice a delay in response but slightly noisier intake
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
wai just inhales warmer air, cause the a/f ratio to balance out to a leaner ratio compared to a cai which inhales a cooler air, allowing the motor to be fooled into delivering more fuel to compensate, both have thier pros and cons
Old 06-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
cliffordwoeller

which is better in the long run ?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alero- View Post
wai just inhales warmer air, cause the a/f ratio to balance out to a leaner ratio compared to a cai which inhales a cooler air, allowing the motor to be fooled into delivering more fuel to compensate, both have thier pros and cons

Yes and no. I mean Yes the air is cooler coming in but my the time it gets thru the pipe and up to the throttle body its warmer than most think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordwoeller View Post
which is better in the long run ?

CAI plain and simple because a CAI can become a WAI but a WAI can not be a CAI without additonal pipe purchase.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
cliffordwoeller

oh ok so how much does a CIA Kit cost for a 2.4 4 door ?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
I do notice that when my engine bay is cool like just after I started I get a better response from my WAI but when the bay gets hot and mines get REAL hot I lose a lil response, but that just what I notice in my car
Quote:
i just dont like having that big ass black box under the hood
if you think thats big wait till you try and take out the lower part of the intake behind the front bumper...that thing is big and rooted in there
Quote:
oh ok so how much does a CIA Kit cost for a 2.4 4 door ?
Induction dynamic...i think thats the name makes one for about $300 its cheaper to make your own....
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #16
cliffordwoeller

how do you make your own and what all is involved in it or is there a thread somewhere on how to make your own ?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #17
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
Its not hard really... you gonna take two WAI and connect them together with some couplers...of course you gonna have to do a lil modification to...but once you find the one that bends correctlly then you will be good to go

Here is the idea of what I am talking aboutl. ION pretty much brought this to light for me, for you its gonna be slightly diffrent but same principle applies
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...t=22216&page=2
Also advance auto and O' Rileys also sell intakes pipes you can pretty much piece together for a custom CAI...I dont know if they are frowned upon or not....I would think they are good to go. But like I said the parts can be gain from ebay.

I still need to finish mines I have the parts but shoulder is busted....man being gimped sucks

Last edited by Alerosaint : 06-20-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Alerosaint is offline   Reply With Quote