Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
fuzztub

well i blew my factory 6x9's a few months ago and finally decided to get off my butt and start upgrading the sound system. i decided to just start with a pair of alpine 3 way 6x9's and add an amp next week. and grow from there.

i picked up the alpines today and after tearing apart the back seat i realized it had 4 wires instead of two. i remember when i was doing soem research that circuit city had a harness, so i headed there only to find it was the wrong harness i was looking at and they were out of stock on the one i need. after showing them the speaker they said i may be able to just use the two wires from the harness that supply the signal to the cone (as opposed to the 2 that supply the signal to the tweeter) and it may work just fine or i may loose all highs in the rear. if not i could go with the audiobahn 6x9 that does take all 4 wires (but i have read some bad reviews on these).

does anybody have any suggestions that i can do with this or am i going to have to replace the system and have it all rewired? any help is appreciated and thanks.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
The speakers are bi amped. Meaning that the woofer is amped seperate from the mid and tweeter. The woofer is 2 ohms while the mid and tweeter is four ohm. If you simply use one set of wires to wire up to a 6x9 you will only get a fraction of the frequencies that the new speaker requires. If you try to use the audiobahn then you will have to be certain that the ohms match up. If the woofer of the audiobahn is 4 instead of 2 you will only get about seven watts RMS out of the amp. The other problem is that the audiobahn may not mathc up with your amps crossover. It looks as though it is designed for this, so it may not be a problem. If you want to use a 6x9 other than the audiobahn you will either need a new amp use the speaker wires coming directly out of the radio. Meaning cut out the monsoon all togeather. The wattage will be about ten watts RMS but it will have all of your frequencies.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #3
fuzztub

thanks for the input. the sudio shop i bought the speakers at told me they would work fine yesterday and did the wiring for me, but you are right it sounds nowhere near what it did the highs are pretty good comming fro mthem but my bass is all but gone. well guess i'l lhave to sell them off and just get new ones from the dealership for 120$ and some subs well i guess i tried <_<
Old 08-06-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
before you sell them off, try hooking them up to the speaker wires coming out of the head unit. You will not have the same wattage but all of the frequencies will be there. This may be able to hold you off until a external amp is in your budget. By the way, I would ditch the shop that installed those. Any decent shop would understand that all lower frequencies would be lost.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
tenny

I am not sure about the specifics on this since I have never done it on an alero, but my buddy has a Trans Am with the monsoon system, we got around this problem by finding the amp, it was in the rear hatch and then looking on the factory deck to see what wires where for the rears, cut them off at the amp, then splice on a new wire from the wires just before the amp to the 6x9's.

Also if u want to stay stock dont buy them from GM, I am sure a ton of people on here have some they would sell, or go to the wreckers.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:34 AM   #6
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Bro, the easiest route to go is just running new speaker wire from the head unit back to the speakers..I ran into the same problem and I just hooked up two wires until I heard how bad it sounded...it took me about 3 minutes to run new wire from the front of the car to the back, its really not that hard...just go that route.