Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-12-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
HAZED

im getting two 12w6ae jl audio for my alero wondering if i should ported or sealed?
oh i got jl adio amp 500 in 1 at (http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/5001.html)
(http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pd...12W6AE_MAN.pdf)
Old 09-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
Oldsmopimp

From what Ive heard, a sealed(NON bandpass...ie no plexiglass, no toobs) will give u a cleanier, crisper bass sound. I've got two JL W0-10'z going in my sation wagon soon in a sealed box. The sealed box is used and Ive heard it in the previous vehicle and it was SUPERB. If u listen to ALL rap, bandpass is prolly the way to go. If its a mix, I say sealed.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
cwm33

or..if you want lots of BOOM, and deep deep bass...go with ported...I've got a ported box in my car right now, and it hammers hard enough to make it difficult for my girlfriend to breathe
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
i have always heard JL's sound awesome in a sealed enclosure
Old 09-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #5
bigd6983

yea jl's sound great in a sealed.......when i went to buy my box the guy was like what kind of subs, i said jl, he said oh you want band pass, sealed sounds terrible.........

i was like no it doesnt.....hes like trust me i know a thing or two......

so i pulled him outside to my friends civic......turned it up.......told him they were jl's.........his guess was 12w3's in a ported box, opened it up 2 10w0's in a sealed.........couldnt believe it.......

so my opinion is go with sealed..........
Old 09-13-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@Sep 13 2004, 04:44 AM
yea jl's sound great in a sealed.......when i went to buy my box the guy was like what kind of subs, i said jl, he said oh you want band pass, sealed sounds terrible.........

i was like no it doesnt.....hes like trust me i know a thing or two......

so i pulled him outside to my friends civic......turned it up.......told him they were jl's.........his guess was 12w3's in a ported box, opened it up 2 10w0's in a sealed.........couldnt believe it.......

so my opinion is go with sealed..........
Maybe that guy was an idiot.
If you dont know anything about building boxes, or are getting a pre-made one get a sealed box, they have the most flat freq responce curve.
If you want output go to a shop that does custom fabrication, and get them to make a custom ported Box that is made according to the manufactures specs on your subs. Then it will be loud and sound good.
Ported is more efficant than sealed, Thus that gives ported the potential To be louder... given that everything is correct. Bandpass is more efficant than ported.. but has a verry narrow freq range... making it not so good for everyday listening.. and better for Spl, or music like Rap.

If your a noob to teh car audio, get a sealed box, you will have a flat curve, and it will sound good with basicly everything... if you have the money build or custom get one made ported to the correct specs, that would be what i would do in your situation.

But its your money... Everyone will say this or that is the loudist... but it dosent really matter, because how loud your system is going to sound is going to depend on the Drivers, Box, and Amp, and Car that YOU have... Thats the bottem line.

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:05 PM   #7
HAZED

ok sorry for the delay and thanks for the replys i went out and check out some of the boxs they have and while i was there meet up with old friend. i just happen to have some jl's in a sealed box O man they hit HArd and they were W3. i made up my mind and got the sealed box and now hook it up... but placing the box facing the speakers to the back and having the amp on the flip down seat sound good??? im running a four guage wire to amp. last thing what 6x9 should i get and i know theres an adapter for the 4x6 in the front but would best buy or circut city have then other than clutchfield
Old 09-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
bigd6983

yea 4 gauge wire is a definate......its never an overkill because if you want to do a little add-on in the future you are ready........most people face the subs to the rear, some do custom set ups with the subs inverted and facing who knows what way, but if you still like to use your trunk.......than a simple box will be best for you.....

as far as the amps........thats a good spot, just make sure you make the wire long enough so that it doesnt get tight if and/or when you flip the seats down.......you dont want the wire to pull out and maybe ground out, its not pretty........TRUST ME lol.....

as far as 6x9's i dunno........i havent done mine yet, but ive heard good things about infinity, i like mb quart, alpines........just go to a store that has a demo and listen to them.......
Old 09-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #9
HAZED

yah the infinites speakers r koo but wanted to know if anyone else bought some and wat about the 4x6 in the front?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #10
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
This ain't about the high end speakers but I got 2 JL Audio 12w3v2 in my car and it pounds. I have it in a sealed box with the speakers facing toward the front of the car. They are real clear and precise subs.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #11
HAZED

what wire gauge u running from the amp to the speakers and witch way u running your speakers from the diagram it comes with??????????
Old 09-16-2004, 12:25 PM   #12
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
They are DVC 4 ohm subs with 10 gauge speaker wire. I ran the voice coils parallel to get 1 ohm. I have a 5 channel amp with a 1 ohm stable mono channel.
I didn't use either of the diagrams in the manual because they wouldn't fit where I needed them to. I built a sealed box to hold both of them with 1.47 cubic feet of air space.
Here's a link to the pics
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=5564
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #13
HAZED

does anyone else have a pic of there system .. like the box jamcllw has
but facing the speakers to the front brings the bass to the back and facing the speakers to the back brings the bass to the front.. im not interested in other to hear or feel the bass. i just want to feel the hard tight bass <-- like that
Old 09-18-2004, 01:28 PM   #14
HAZED

cAN U GUYS SAY MBQUARTS they have some that change the 4x6 to 4inch they look sick!!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:29 AM   #15
1WhiteOSV

sealed.....period
Old 09-24-2004, 02:43 AM   #16
HAZED

YUP!!! sealed
Old 09-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #17
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by HAZED@Sep 16 2004, 01:40 AM
yah the infinites speakers r koo but wanted to know if anyone else bought some and wat about the 4x6 in the front?
get rid of the 4X6, none will be worth the money. just upgrade to 6.5 components, and you'll have new tweets too.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:00 PM   #18
HAZED

mmm thinking of 6.5 but buying mb quarts