Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 09-23-2004, 03:56 PM   #21
rmulax19

i would ask around about an alternator rebuild or brand new alternator because your battery is only as good as your alternator, meaning this: it doesn't matter how good your battery is because if you use up the juice on your cap, and it starts drawing offa your battery, it's going to take a whole lotta time to recharge.

i have 3 friends all with competition-level systems and they all agree that you should upgrade your alternator before your battery if you can't do both at the same time.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:52 PM   #22
HAZED

funny! i thought that u wanted a deep cycle battery for the stereo system.
like the yellow cap... can someone give me the dif in both battery....?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #23
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by HAZED@Sep 23 2004, 06:52 PM
funny! i thought that u wanted a deep cycle battery for the stereo system.
like the yellow cap... can someone give me the dif in both battery....?
You'd want the yellow top if you were using as a second battery. Running a yellowtop as your only battery isn't the greatest idea because it's a deep cycle. It's not meant to get quick bursts and recharge like it would in your case.

Lets put it this way, a yellow top is a deep cycle battery. Just like a marine battery. Now, marine batteries sit for long periods of time without any use, and it takes a poop ton of power to fire up a boat motor, now, over time the charges in batteries degrade, but deep cycle batteries don't have as much as an issue with this as normal batteries.

Basically, a deep cycle battery is able to withstand going a long period of time sitting, and then have a huge drain on it, and then charge back up. Whereas a normal battery isn't.

A normal battery is used to drain - recharge - drain - recharge, repeat process. Thats why if you've ever left a car sitting for a while, you'll notice it's hard to start back up sometimes. Unless you have like a brand new battery in it.

So, basically, a red top is more suitable for what you need.

If you were going to add another battery to your car, and keep the one you have now, I'd get the yellow top, but if you were just replacing the one you have, red top.

That make sense?
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #24
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Start with a Cap Then if that doesnt work then add a larger battery if that doesnt work get a bigger amp Alternator. Chances are all you need is a farad cap. you dont exactly have a Db drag machine, it is your street car so you dont need to add like 4 alternaters and a full trunk of batterys and bullet proof glass. Chances are any music you listen to cant puch your sytem to its absolute max all in one shot so it may draw 300 amps from your cap then another couple hundred and by then it is charged and ready to go again. and you could always put 2 caps in if you have the change.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:38 PM   #25
HAZED

im going to install tomorow ill take some pic if one cap dont work ill get another and i nee to change batterys anyways the battery i have now is dying cell walls are weak so just looking into that.one more thing how do i post a pic?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 AM   #26
1WhiteOSV

circuit city doesn't carry Fosgate stuff.....and anyone can get ANYTHING about 1/2 off on Ebay lol
Old 09-24-2004, 06:56 PM   #27
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
if you decide to upgrade your alternator... you can get a 160 amp here... compared to stock 105.

http://www.mralternator.com/alternators/grandam.html
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:55 PM   #28
HAZED

am i reading that right the link for grandam but thanks for the info
Old 09-24-2004, 10:20 PM   #29
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, you're reading that link right. and the grandam/alero engine parts are all the same.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:54 PM   #30
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
i went with just an extra yellow top in the trunk and no cap and it works great, u wont need ne more than that unless u have a MASSIVE system, im runnin 2 500 rms 1000 peak alpine amps off of the yellow top that is connected off my main battery under the hood, had it 1 yr now and no issues, i agree with smokin, dont put a yellow under the hood, use red.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:28 AM   #31
HAZED

damm cap didnt work!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #32
rmulax19

what do you have done? if i'm reading it correctly, stock battery, stock alternator, capacitor.

how many watts is your amp? how many farads is your cap?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #33
HAZED

----------http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/5001.html----------"amp
-----------1 frag capicitor rockford fosgate
Old 09-28-2004, 07:40 PM   #34
rmulax19

go to the posted link and buy a new alternator. it will recharge your battery quicker and your lights won't dim.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:39 PM   #35
Voodosoup

Quote:
Originally posted by rmulax19@Sep 28 2004, 06:40 PM
go to the posted link and buy a new alternator. it will recharge your battery quicker and your lights won't dim.
I have the alternator from therre and while it is better than stock while the car is moving, at idle I'm still getting a large voltage drop. The alternator is only going to put out maximum amperage at higher rpm's. Granted, I do have a fairly crazy computer/audio/nav system in my car.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 PM   #36
HAZED

did get a qptima battery as welll
Old 09-29-2004, 09:56 AM   #37
rmulax19

so, voodoo, would you agree that if running a 500 watt amp, the cap and upgraded alternator would be good enough for HAZED. i really do not believe that he needs to replace his battery yet but i could be wrong. HOWEVER, if you still want a new battery, go with a red top. it wouldn't hurt.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:03 AM   #38
HAZED

the only reasonwhy i would change my battery bow is cuz i know its low and not holding charge like it used plus i was running my stereo for about half hour and died...thats without bass <_<
Old 09-29-2004, 12:42 PM   #39
rmulax19

oh well, if you need a new battery, that's a whole different story. go with the red top and when you get a chance, go with the alternator.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #40
HAZED

......................... ............................