Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #241
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Stock engine can take boost easily. Whoever told you it is a must is wrong. Just don't get too happy with the boost controller knob.

how much psi? because probably early july i am picking this back up, i have a few vacations in june that i need money for before the car.
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #242
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
it's not about pressure, it's about power output
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #243
worknprog.99
GLS member

Ok....

ok so i am slowly building my money back now that i know im going to keep my job!!!

so this project is slowly kicking back in...
now im wanting to make my manifolds first, my question is do both sides have to meet at the turbo inlet or could i make a "T" off the crossover pipe then run a straight pipe for the turbo to sit on..(can illustrate if needed).??

if i can get the manifolds and DP made this has potential of getting done at last lol i sat on majority of the parts so most things are still here
Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #244
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, illustrate that. Best method is equal length and air all flowing in the same direction smoothly to the turbine inlet.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #245
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
... my question is do both sides have to meet at the turbo inlet or could i make a "T" off the crossover pipe then run a straight pipe for the turbo to sit on..(can illustrate if needed).??

if i can get the manifolds and DP made this has potential of getting done at last lol i sat on majority of the parts so most things are still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Yeah, illustrate that. Best method is equal length and air all flowing in the same direction smoothly to the turbine inlet.

Basicly something like this. Its all a matter of making it fit. (Granted this is a 3800 but same idea)

My issue with this design is there is A LOT of heat directly under the thorttle body.

Some Companies like STS mount the turbo at the back of the car just because of space contraints and the system still works.
I've been trying to find a compromise to mount the turbo between the subframe and the firewall, but the trans and steering rack take a ton of space.

Ah Mega pic link to a 3400 swapped into a baretta with boost.
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10336

Last edited by Blktrax : 07-03-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #246
[ion] C2
636 whp

Oh, yeah, that's fine. If you have a turbo blanket it doesn't matter. Plus the air moves so quickly in the pipes it's not going to heat up before it gets to the engine after the intercooler.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #247
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
I was mostly refering to heat soak, espically if its a daily driver.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #248
worknprog.99
GLS member

there is not enough clearence in the bay for the turbo to go under the TB i tried lol. it has to go farther to the side
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #249
worknprog.99
GLS member

tossing the idea

so the guy i know that just got a job with me have been shooting the shit for awhile today and have came up with an alternative way to turbo the 3400 without much modification pipewise.. it kinda incorperates the ideas with the STS backmount turbo (which i thought about being the first on here to custom make one of those, were still throwing around the idea.) however im waiting for the car to cool down to go out and look around to see if its possible..

i REALLY wanna do this it would be so unique around here i would love that so im hoping back on the horse to pursue this although its frustrating
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #250
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
How is there not room for your turbo to go there when other turbo 3400 aleros have theirs there? Btw that thread of the baretta turbo had me rollin lol
Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #251
[ion] C2
636 whp

yeah for real

why not buy MPRacing's turbo headers?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #252
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
yeah for real

why not buy MPRacing's turbo headers?

mainly because i dont have 429 dollars to fork over for headers alone... i want to get the headers like aftermath had on his, efficient enough and cheaper...

i tossed around the idea of a 1st ever backmount alero but upon looking i dont see the room in the back..

also i considered trying to cut back the downpipe after the rear header and put it back there like on the 4 cylinder and the connect back to the downpipe.. but i dont think there is enough room to fit the charger and the pipes in that area..

basically just trying to be more creative and outside the box.
although making my own headers like aftermath had on his is possibly the route i may take,. i really wanna pic this up again....
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #253
[ion] C2
636 whp

damn man it's a steal at $429
Old 08-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #254
worknprog.99
GLS member

yes if i had 429 lol... getting money upfront on group buys is hard.. by the time the money is ready and things will be shipped i may not have the money anymore. i would possibly buy it if i could pay and have it made now not wait until 10 are ordered...
Old 08-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #255
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
mainly because i dont have 429 dollars to fork over for headers alone... i want to get the headers like aftermath had on his, efficient enough and cheaper...

i tossed around the idea of a 1st ever backmount alero but upon looking i dont see the room in the back..

also i considered trying to cut back the downpipe after the rear header and put it back there like on the 4 cylinder and the connect back to the downpipe.. but i dont think there is enough room to fit the charger and the pipes in that area..

basically just trying to be more creative and outside the box.
although making my own headers like aftermath had on his is possibly the route i may take,. i really wanna pic this up again....

there is room, a guy on gagt.com did it on his grand am........you should read the thread.....
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #256
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
lol 429 for turbo headers is a joke....if you cant afford that you may want to look into a new hobby

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #257
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
there is room, a guy on gagt.com did it on his grand am........you should read the thread.....

i kinda of want to do it different than the last ones been done so can you give the link to that thread..

and gr1m its not that i dont have the money its i dont wanna wait for a group buy, if there was a buy it now option it probably would happen
Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #258
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
lol 429 for turbo headers is a joke....if you cant afford that you may want to look into a new hobby
yeah, I'd say. IIRC, headers of any kind that are worth a damned are upwards of 600.

am I allowed to say c0ck on here and not have it look like the word "chicken"? I know, that was kind of random.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #259
[ion] C2
636 whp

It depends, half the people on here can see unfiltered words, while you and others get hilarious censors. I see things as they are.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #260
Caboose73

Heres the thread

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78090