Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Horn Honks on Its Own

Hello everyone. Lately my car has started to honk on its own during the night. I took it to the mechanic yesterday and he just replaced the horn relay saying that that could be it. Last night however, it honked again. It isn't a short honk, but a long one as if someone were leaning on the horn. Now, I will probably take it to the mechanic again next week but on the mean time,

Does anyone know what else it could be?

Also, I probably will not get to work on it, so most likely, as a temporary fix, I am just going to remove the relay.

Does anyone know where the relay is and if it affects anything else besides the horn? I can't find my owners manual.

On a side note; it only seems to do this when it is cold out, hence it does it only at night.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
horn switch is pretty much all it could be.

no power through the switch --> no power to the relay --> no power to the horn
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Valley olds
GLS member

Where would I find the horn switch to switch it off?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
behind the air bag in the steering wheel. could just pull the fuse.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Valley olds
GLS member

Yeah, pulling the fuse or relay does sound easier. I think I will try that. Thank you.

Update: I just removed the horn relay, I googled and learned that it is relay 21 in the fuse box in the engine compartment. It does not seem to have affected anything besides the horn, but if something is affected, I will keep everyone updated.

Last edited by Valley olds : 12-08-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Updated
Valley olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Pull out your passenger side headlamp. Right under there are the horns. Check wires to make sure they have not corroded or rubbed through on one another. Has to be a short there somewhere. For it to be happening when it gets cold tells me there is condensation forming and causing a short. I bet as your underhood cools, the air in there is hitting the dew point, collecting on a bare wire somewhere and making your horn go off
The other one Im thinking is to check the underside of the underhood fuse block for corrosion

Last edited by MMGT1 : 12-08-2011 at 09:09 PM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
nicothehut
GX Member

nicothehut is on a distinguished road
Pull the horn out and replace. Mine sounded off last month till it melted down the electrical connection on the side on the horn.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
paul ron
GX Member

paul ron is on a distinguished road
My horn went off for no reason one night n burnt itself to death by morning, 8 years ago. I just replaced the horns n no problems yet.

Weird!
paul ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I had this problem when it first got cold. my horn never worked again after the 2nd time it went off (it went for a LONG time) all the horn can do now is click when i hit it. I am 99% certain its the horn its self screwing up. I havent got around to replacing it or anything yet though. so I just have the fuse pulled.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Could you imagine how awesome this would be if it was connected to a train horn?
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
Could you imagine how awesome this would be if it was connected to a train horn?

I have no idea where to look for those...
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Google train horn kit and you'll find them

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post

I have buick horns on mine off a park ave. (4 horns) Sound boss but not as loud as a train
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote