Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Strut mounts and lowering springs

Hey everyone. I should be getting some intrax springs I ordered by Tuesday. What I am wondering though, is if I should get new strut mounts too, or should I wait for my stockers to go bad? Right now I dont think I have issues with my stock mounts, not sure though.
Also, the bolts that the STB attaches to: Are they regular bolts that you can replace individually? or are they part of the strut mount? Reason Im asking, is today I was tightening my STB nuts, and one of the nuts doesn't seem to tighten up into the bolt. If they are regular bolts, Ill just get the bolts.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
todd4198
GX Member

todd4198 is on a distinguished road
If I were you I'd just change them while you've got everything apart, plus that's save getting another alignment done if you did the mounts later. It's no big deal to get everything apart to change them down the road though, goes pretty quick as long as you have access to an impact. I did struts/springs last summer, but not my mounts for some reason, just did them a few weeks ago though. Just sucked having to pay for another alignment though...
What isn't tightening- the nut or one of the bolts? Cause I don't think you can do much except get a new mount if the nut won't tighten.
todd4198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't change the mounts when I put my intrax on, and the mounts were shredded within a few days. I had to do it all over again. Its been 3 years and they are going bad again. When I turn they make grinding, clunking noises. Basically the problem is that the mounts get worn into a groove, and if you change the angle of the strut by lowering it, the mount falls out of the groove and locks up, making the spring grind and twist against the immobile part that should be moving.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
todd4198: If I were you I'd just change them while you've got everything apart, plus that's save getting another alignment done if you did the mounts later. It's no big deal to get everything apart to change them down the road though, goes pretty quick as long as you have access to an impact. I did struts/springs last summer, but not my mounts for some reason, just did them a few weeks ago though. Just sucked having to pay for another alignment though...
What isn't tightening- the nut or one of the bolts? Cause I don't think you can do much except get a new mount if the nut won't tighten.
As for the nut not tightening, I just realized the nut was bad, but I think I might as well get the mounts right now so I can avoid doing everything twice.
Quote:
mrmike: I didn't change the mounts when I put my intrax on, and the mounts were shredded within a few days. I had to do it all over again. Its been 3 years and they are going bad again. When I turn they make grinding, clunking noises. Basically the problem is that the mounts get worn into a groove, and if you change the angle of the strut by lowering it, the mount falls out of the groove and locks up, making the spring grind and twist against the immobile part that should be moving.

Thanks for the explanation as to why the mounts mess up. After hearing this, for sure I will change them at the same time.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
where are you guys buying just the mounts at, and are you getting them for stock struts or kybs
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Valley olds
GLS member

Im getting my mounts at O reillys and I am going to be using KYB struts. The guy at oreillys told me their mounts have a LLT warranty, so hopefully I can forget about that stuff for a while.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
are the strut mounts the same for oem and kyb
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
^^^ I can't see them being different being you can use the factory ones on the KYB's