Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Corbin
GX Member

Corbin is on a distinguished road
power seat not moving

I'm trying to figure out the best way to raise my seat up to a normal height. It is stuck all the way down. The motor runs when the switch is moved up or down, but the seat doesn't acutally move. I'm tried prying on it while running the motor but that didn't work either. I don't really care if it's electric or not, I just want to raise it a little... I'm not the tallest guy in the world.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks!
Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
Mine does the same but is all the way up
far as I can tell is the shear pin on the gear inside the motor is sheared off :-P
but haven't been able to take it apart to fix it
hope you have better luck taking it apart
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same issue (stuck up) i was planning on just swapping the seats on it since i have another one here being on my third alero and a grand am parts car, I'm lucky to have some spare parts kicking around

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Not sure if the newer GM cars are this way, but the older GM cars had a plastic coupler in the middle that would break instead of destorying the motor and transmission, which are a lot more expensive than a $12 plastic thing

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Corbin
GX Member

Thanks for the help. I'll be off to a junk yard to find some parts... I have a door lock button that is broken and the overhead light has a broken switch too... Hopefully there's something in the yard that I can work with.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Sadly, Aleros are showing up in the junkyards now

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Corbin
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Sadly, Aleros are showing up in the junkyards now

I was actually thinking I could find another Olds, Pontiac, or Chevy that may have used the same seat motors! I seriously doubt I would actually find an Alero in the yard....
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Corbin
GX Member

Tomorrow's plan is to pull the seat out and to disconnect the end of the raising rod furthest from the seat motor. I will spin the rod out to about halfway and then use a bolt to secure the rod back into place. It currently uses a roll pin that I'm guessing I won't be able to reuse. Hopefully by doing this I will be able to raise the seat high enough for comfort without having to try it too many times. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Corbin
GX Member

I fixed it. well.... I adjusted it to the height I need to to be and and made it so that it can be adjusted by removing a bolt and spinning the adjustment rod. Here is a picture of why mine didn't work. It wasn't the motor, just a stripped gear.

If there is any interest I can do a write-up on exactly what I did. I took a few pictures I can add to it. The whole process took about an hour.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Corbin
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
I have the same issue (stuck up) i was planning on just swapping the seats on it since i have another one here being on my third alero and a grand am parts car, I'm lucky to have some spare parts kicking around

If your seat is stuck in a higher position, then you don't even have to take your seat out to fix this problem. Simply remove the roll pin that holds the back of the adjustment rod (you'll have to get your hands under your seat from the back, but it isn't too difficult) spin the rod to make it longer, and then use a bolt to put it back into place. This would have been a lot easier fix if mine wasn't broken all the way down. When it is all the way down there are other seat brackets that prevent you from easily removing the roll pin. Here is a picture of the roll pin removed and the bolt in place with the seat still in the car.