Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Parking Brake Shoe Removal

I'm doing the drum to disc brake conversion on my '99 GA. Got disc brake hubs from a donor '00 Alero at the salvage yard and having trouble removing the parking brake shoes so I can paint the back plates. There doesn't seem to be enough spring flex in the brake shoes to clear the hub without taking it apart. Is that the only way to get them off?

[IMG][/IMG]
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
It can be done. Just have to find the right process. Try and get one side of the shoe up over the hub and work I around. Don't be too Afraid to spread that shoe apart
Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The service manual procedures is to remove the hub to replace the parking brake shoe.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
There's a clip that holds the shoe in. If you get it loose, it will come off. I found that out without wanting... one of my shoes were loose when my stuff was in storage.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Starglow
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
There's a clip that holds the shoe in. If you get it loose, it will come off. I found that out without wanting... one of my shoes were loose when my stuff was in storage.

The clip is easy...you just slide the shoe down and it comes loose off the clip. On my GMC truck that uses basically the same design it's easy to work the shoe off around the axle, but not on the Alero hubs.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Starglow
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
It can be done. Just have to find the right process. Try and get one side of the shoe up over the hub and work I around. Don't be too Afraid to spread that shoe apart

It's hard to pry the spring very much with the hub off the car lest you end up smacking yourself in the face. I'll clamp the hub in a vice to see if that helps any.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The clip is easy...you just slide the shoe down and it comes loose off the clip. On my GMC truck that uses basically the same design it's easy to work the shoe off around the axle, but not on the Alero hubs.

You are right... my shoe did not separate from the hub.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
sorry to thread jack, starglow post some pics of your car/motor in another thread.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Starglow
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
sorry to thread jack, starglow post some pics of your car/motor in another thread.

Ok....will do, maybe this weekend. I washed and waxed it this past weekend so she's looking good for a photo shoot.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
it comes off of the hub from the back must remove hub and the shield from that rear knuckle.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
Starglow
GX Member

Today I figured out an easy way to get the parking brake shoes off without pulling the hubs off. You have to remove the parking brake actuator assembly which then allows more free space the maneuver the shoe around and get one side over the hub and then completely off.

With the parking brake actuator installed, there isn't enough room for the parking brake shoe to clear the hub and prying doesn't work. It comes off quite easily once you figure out the right process.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #12
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Today I figured out an easy way to get the parking brake shoes off without pulling the hubs off. You have to remove the parking brake actuator assembly which then allows more free space the maneuver the shoe around and get one side over the hub and then completely off.

With the parking brake actuator installed, there isn't enough room for the parking brake shoe to clear the hub and prying doesn't work. It comes off quite easily once you figure out the right process.

Glad i read all the way down before I posted. whatch out with that actuator though, I had a hell of a time with one of mine going back on there right.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote