Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
joserivas19
GL Member

joserivas19 is on a distinguished road
Alero not starting

So this past Sunday i drove my alero to work with the gas light on. i didnt think much of it, and after work i filled up the tank and went home. Then on Monday when i went to start it, it wouldnt start. I havent been able to start it all week. I have a full 12.4 volts on the battery, but i do not get a clicking sound or anything, just lights and radio.

Also, on Sunday heading home after filling up the Security light came on and kept flashing. So i do not know it that security light might have something to do with it or if theres something else wrong. Can you guys point me in the right direction please? Thanks in advance.
joserivas19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Did you drag all the crap from the bottom of your tank by letting it get to low. Do you have fuel pressure?

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
joserivas19
GL Member

Thats what i thought at first, that maybe i had clogged up the pump. but i just finished doing some searching on here and found an article that mentioned the passlock security light. so i tried it and left the key in the on position for 15 mins. then turned it off, then tried starting it, and it started!!!! so that darn Passlock security light was the issue this whole time.

Heres the thread that helped me just in case someone has this same issue again:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36751
Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
joserivas19
GL Member

Now i think im gonna try to bypass is permanently so i dont have to deal with this issue again. I almost called a tow truck yesterday to take it to the dealer. I am so glad i didnt. that wouldve been a waste of cash for a simple temporary fix. Thanks for the help Oldsnut. :-)
Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
If you search the internet you will find plenty of info on how bad the Passlock stuff is, along with several euphemisms for "Passlock". I had to wait in my car for 10 minutes in 100 degree temperatures before starting the car earlier this year. Consider yourself lucky!
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
joserivas19
GL Member

Yeah, the more i search the more i realize how bad that system is. It was raining here, so i just left the key in the ignition and went inside. I've been reading that if install a remote start, that itll bypass permanently the passlock. kinda temped on doing that. Anyone know if this statement is true for bypassing "passlock?"
Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
my alarm system will bypass passlock when it wants too.
remote start system worked for the first year I had it installed
now it wont bypass anymore and even get the security light turning on while driving. luckily it wont shut off the car if it comes on while driving. looking at upgrading my alarm soon and ordering a new bypass module hopefully that fixes it.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
iv have never had any issue with any vehicle i have had with passlock. including both my aleros. if shits broke, get it fixed.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
jeffrey1990
GX Member

jeffrey1990 is on a distinguished road
this happend to me three weeks ago I left the key In for 10 then it started it did it agen 7 days later. I red that it could be a worn key or fule not getting through the system also the red oil light was on when it didn't start. oh ya I also burned like all my oil "driving fast". so I got a oil change, new key, and ran a few tanks with lucus injector cleaner. its bin good since that oh and iv had a po440 (evac) code for a bit. normally I would just pay gm thousands to fix it but Im saving for a new ride in the summer. I hope it last few more months
Old 09-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
joserivas19
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey1990 View Post
this happend to me three weeks ago I left the key In for 10 then it started it did it agen 7 days later. I red that it could be a worn key or fule not getting through the system also the red oil light was on when it didn't start. oh ya I also burned like all my oil "driving fast". so I got a oil change, new key, and ran a few tanks with lucus injector cleaner. its bin good since that oh and iv had a po440 (evac) code for a bit. normally I would just pay gm thousands to fix it but Im saving for a new ride in the summer. I hope it last few more months

Oh ok. I have an O2 sensor low voltage code, but no check engine light. I have not replaced the fuel filter since 2009. but I have only driven it like 8k miles since then. but I might run a fuel cleaner for the next few days and see if that helps any. I do not have an oil light either. Im gonna call the dealership and see if how much a replacement key costs and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for the ideas though Jeffrey.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by joserivas19 View Post
Oh ok. I have an O2 sensor low voltage code, but no check engine light. I have not replaced the fuel filter since 2009. but I have only driven it like 8k miles since then. but I might run a fuel cleaner for the next few days and see if that helps any. I do not have an oil light either. Im gonna call the dealership and see if how much a replacement key costs and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for the ideas though Jeffrey.

you could just go to your local hardware store and get one cut... it isnt a chipped key... i replaced my last key when my old one started taking several attempts to get it lined up so it would turn and for me the little bit extra was plenty
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
joserivas19
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
you could just go to your local hardware store and get one cut... it isnt a chipped key... i replaced my last key when my old one started taking several attempts to get it lined up so it would turn and for me the little bit extra was plenty

Oh ok, I thought the key had a resistor in it or something, that's why the security light was coming on. Thanks for the tip 03glgold, I might give it a shot. those keys are pretty cheap so it wont hurt the wallet.