Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 11-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Quote:
Originally posted by feistyalerogirl81+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (feistyalerogirl81)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Hey what are some good mods to add to the alero to impove gas mileage besides the cold air intake?[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthalero+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stealthalero)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>To get better gas mileage you want your car to breathe easier, think of how you breathe, in and out, a Cold air intake allows your car to breathe easier with less restrictions and colder air does wonders for your engine and a good free flowing exhaust, bigger piping allows your car to empty the exhaust easier again with less restrictions, cat-backs help a lot but a real full exhaust would work the best. Get an up-pipe and a down pipe and a high flow cat. That would improve your gas mileage tons. But a full exhaust is expensive and time consuming. I myself just have a cai and i'm putting my slp cat-back on tomorrow. SLP makes the biggest diameter piping without loosing any performance. 2.5 is the biggest you should put on your stock car. That should help yaÂ;-)
[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Poppa Naich
generally, what stealth is saying is true... but you have to watch out. Going too big on exhaust and cats and downpipes can actually hurt your gas mileage and horsepower because you lose the necessary backpressure your car needs. You probably wouldn't get much of a power gain with a high flow cat unless you have headers. Catback systems add a bit of horsepower, but not much without headers.

I have also seen the "air tornado" thing on TV. Initially, I (as well as most other ppl on the site) was very skeptical about this... but then I have heard from people who have a lot of experience with intake systems and they have actually been tested to work slightly.

<!--QuoteBegin-Silentalero
@
I have the air tornado and will live by this thing, even on the way to GAP me and scott compared rpms and we both have pretty much identical engines (cai 2.4L) and i ran 80mph at 2100rpm he was runnnin 80mph at 2500rpms, so it does help your air flow[/quote]

<!--QuoteBegin-crazykid

i had this on my old car... chev lumina 1990 3.1 v6 i had it installed with my custom cai and i swear it helped.. but then i heard all this crap about it just being a joke and it doesn't do poop.. so i figured it was just my cai... and never bothered to get one for the alero... maybe i'll try it out or see if my old one fits.. [/quote]

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
misslindseysue

As an aside, the reason you get better gas mileage with a CAI is that the car sees lower pressure (same with exhaust), and it thinks you're at altitude, so it leans out your motor 'cause it thinks there's also less oxygen. You get some performance out of that too, but when you run lean for a long time something is going to blow.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
99blackalero

or just dont step on the gas so much
Old 04-15-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
Does the warm air intake (AEM short ram) help with the mileage as much as the cold air intake does? I know this is a VERYYYY old post, but i came across it and was wondering if it did the same with saving gas... or is it worse?
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
CAI = better mpg
Wai = worse mpg (or no change)
Old 04-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie@Apr 15 2006, 01:34 AM
CAI = better mpg
Wai = worse mpg (or no change)

i saw gains in MPG with a short ram intake
Old 04-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

hmmmm.... i got both replys with different answers.... i shouldnt ask this but i'll give it a go, would there be anyway possible to modify my wai to a cai?
Old 04-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
Quote:
Originally posted by battistoni21@Apr 15 2006, 11:54 AM
hmmmm.... i got both replys with different answers.... i shouldnt ask this but i'll give it a go, would there be anyway possible to modify my wai to a cai?

a coupler, a longer pipe down into the fender and voila..dunno about movin the sensor tho
Old 04-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

im pretty sure i know whats your talking about..... is there anyone with pics that would help me try and do this?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Roguer

what about those Cold air Boxes for some WAI's? would that get you better MPG even with a WAI setup?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
WAI = better mileage if you don't mind not hearing the change in your engine's sound. lol

The cold air box would only work if you leave that funky plastic tubing from the headlight to the engine bay in there. Unfortunately, there is no CAB for the 2.4L yet.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:34 PM   #12
Roguer

oh, okay. i just saw it on a car site and was wondering about it. but what the change in engine noise like?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

[quote=AlbinoMonkeyRat,Apr 15 2006, 05:05 PM]
WAI = better mileage if you don't mind not hearing the change in your engine's sound. lol

That sound is like music to my ears..... it sounds so freakin sweet, i have a hard time NOT pushing the accelerator to the floor cuz that sound is so sweet.... Thanks for the help, i thought that the WAI had a bad effect on mileage.... im just stickin to my WAI, i like seeing that huge air filter, plus some of the comments when i lift my hood to people who havent seen it yet
Old 05-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

nonmoalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I have also seen the "air tornado" thing on TV. Initially, I (as well as most other ppl on the site) was very skeptical about this... but then I have heard from people who have a lot of experience with intake systems and they have actually been tested to work slightly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Silentalero
I have the air tornado and will live by this thing, even on the way to GAP me and scott compared rpms and we both have pretty much identical engines (cai 2.4L) and i ran 80mph at 2100rpm he was runnnin 80mph at 2500rpms, so it does help your air flow

In regards to fuel saving devices, here are two excellent articles where gadgets like the Tornado and others are scientifically put to the test. No anecdotal evidence here, just cold hard facts:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...ks/1802932.html
http://www.fuelsaving.info/debunk.htm
nonmoalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

geeze i read both... and i dunno if i really want to go and get the air tornado now.....
Old 05-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #16
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by battistoni21@May 16 2006, 09:42 AM
geeze i read both... and i dunno if i really want to go and get the air tornado now.....

Serious or sarcastic? If you are serious, I am glad you didn't support a product that is nothing but a scam and only financially pads the pockets of the pricks who peddle such nonsense. If you are being sarcastic, I can understand why you would be making light of what I wrote because of the way it may have come across!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #17
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

im serious, i was going to get the air tornado, but i always thought *plugging up your intake will give you more power* it just didnt make sense to me, but the info you provided basically slammed the hammer on my decision, im not going to get it......

good info!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #18
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by battistoni21@May 16 2006, 10:19 AM
im serious, i was going to get the air tornado, but i always thought *plugging up your intake will give you more power* it just didnt make sense to me, but the info you provided basically slammed the hammer on my decision, im not going to get it......

good info!

Great! Glad I could be of assistance! I will most definitely save money in the future based on what I found out about motor oil, fuel additives, aftermarket add-ons, and a lot of other common car related stuff.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #19
Roguer

lol, ya the simplest way is usually the best (not all this hyper-sonically spliting water molecules to make hydrogen). but good find, going to have to look into some of those fuel additives
Old 05-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #20
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
ive had bolth cai and wai and I have to say CAI is 100% better

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote