Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Goliath
GX Member

Goliath is on a distinguished road
Coolant Leak

I have a 2001 2.4L Alero and my coolant has been leaking for the past couple of weeks. The problem is, I can't find where it's coming from. It doesn't leak when the car is running or right after I turn it off, and I've never actually seen it leak either. I park it at night and in the morning there is a puddle underneath it.

It seems like it is dripping somewhere from the passenger side of the car. I've read a lot about the LIM gasket, but it seems like that applies to the 3100/3400 engine. Could this be the problem on a 2.4L too?

I'm really not sure where to look. I feel like I've searched every inch of the engine bay. Any help would be appreciated!
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
could be a water pump related leak. those are on the passenger side of the engine.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Goliath
GX Member

The water pump is run by the timing chain on the Alero, correct? I'm assuming it's under that metal cover on the passenger side?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
taht is correct
Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Climb under the car and try to see where the drip is, then follow the trail.

The nice thing about coolant, is it's nasty staining nature and it's easy to follow the path.

Make sure that there are no little ciritters or the family dog goes near your car, that would be bad

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Goliath
GX Member

After looking for the leak several times, I still can't find it. I've noticed that the coolant seems to leak A LOT slower when it is cold out. Not sure if this means anything.

I think I'm going to look one more time tomorrow. I've read that a common problem is a plastic piece that connects two hoses, but it's hard to trace. And I keep reading about the intake gasket, but again, it seems like a 3100/3400 problem. Not a 2.4L issue. Any advice on that?

EDIT: The car does not get too hot. It's gets to normal operating temperature and stays there...

Last edited by Goliath : 12-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #7
richthofen
GX Member

richthofen is on a distinguished road
If you find out where it's leaking, let me know--mine has been doing the same thing for ages. I just periodically add coolant, but it's annoying. Only seems to drip when it's parked on an incline, though oddly it doesn't matter which end of the car is higher. When parked in my flat garage overnight (or for any length of time), no puddle.
richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Goliath
GX Member

Good news is I found where the drip is coming from... Bad news is I still don't know where the source is.

The drip seems to be coming from the back of the engine. I tried to get a good picture, but this was the best I could get.

The bottom of the picture is the oil pan. I'm not too sure where to go from here. I'm still hoping the head gasket is not blown...