Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
mykah89

I was just wondering how important it was after painting interior pieces to put on some clearcoat, i have done a few pieces and they chip pretty easily will clearcoat stop this?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Swat

Clearcoat will help pretect it yes...but it also gives the paint an extra shine that regualr paint doeesn't give you. You should give it 2 coats of clearcoat. I have mine done that way and I have yet to get a chip.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:40 PM   #3
Twigz

Check the How-To Archive on interior painting. Good instructions and tips there. :thumbsup:
Old 12-24-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
Voodosoup

What kind of paint did you use?

I used the krylon fusion spray paint for plastic and haven't had any problems with chipping.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:29 PM   #5
mykah89

I used the krylon fusion paint too, i let it dry for like 2 days before starting to put it back in an even the pieces slightly hitting eachother would chip it , i tore everything apart in my interior again today and applyed a few coats of clear coat and i started putting back in and it seems like its a lot better, hopefully within a few days it wont really chip anymore.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:01 AM   #6
boarder211

I used the krylon fusion, and haven't had any problems since. I didn't even put on any clear coat! Mine looks great, even after about 5 months, and a couple of -30 days... actually had a cop at a checkstop comment on how he liked it the other day (Yup! I wasn't drinking and driving!) I don't know what you did as prepping your parts, but I took them all apart and washed them in dish detergent, let them dry for a day or two, then painted them with 3-4 coats, and that was that!

Oh yeah... has anyone tried a clearcoat with the krylon fusion paint? If so, what kind of clear coat did you use, and how well did it work?
Old 12-25-2003, 03:26 AM   #7
Final-Reality

It's probably chipping because you didnt do like boarder211 did, and properly clean the parts off first so the paint will adhere to it properly...
Old 12-25-2003, 03:35 PM   #8
Voodosoup

Yep, You have to clean them really well to get the paint to bond well I cleaned mine with 3m bug and tar spray. I'd have to check the can for the specific product name. But one of it's uses was fdor cleaning plastics. I used the same stuff before I put my dash kit on too.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:25 AM   #9
Swat

I used plain old car body touch up spray paint form my local Canadian Tire. Worked like a charm.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:32 PM   #10
bdyman

right!!! plastic parts need to be preped the right way
ppg recomends that you use dx 330 with a grey scuff pad
the use dx 801 a plastic adheshsion promoter
the base coat and then clear
i wouldn`t recomnd to clear interior parts,
ppg makes different levels of gloss for the interior system
no need to clear!
goes from %5 to %12 gloss
:thumbsup: