Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
JakeBrake
GX Member

JakeBrake is on a distinguished road
need help with choosing control arm bushings for my 02 alero

Hi guys I was looking to get some aftermarket control arm bushings for my alero , and was wondering if these ones for a cavalier / sunfire would work ? and if not what Ones would I need ?

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...07&idcategory=
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
ummm no. what your looking for are ones that look like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEVOT...Q5fAccessories

however, finding the performance bushings are getting harder to come by.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
<woj99>
GX Member

<woj99> is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
Hi guys I was looking to get some aftermarket control arm bushings for my alero , and was wondering if these ones for a cavalier / sunfire would work ? and if not what Ones would I need ?

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...07&idcategory=

Yes, these will work. They fit the n-body control arms. These are the only polyurethane ones available. If you're installing these in steel control arms be careful not to tear them up on any sharp edges, smooth any edges before installing and there also might be a lip/ring that you might have to grind down that you'll see when the old bushing is taken out. This might help: http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=119911.

I think moog and raybestos might also make bushings with a material that's an upgrade over rubber - raybestos refers to it as their professional grade. Check what ones are listed on rockauto.com. They should be better than rubber but not as stiff as polyurethane.
<woj99> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
just my opinion but those bushings on turbocharging.com will NOT work. end of story
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
JakeBrake
GX Member

Thanks alot woj! , Im not driving my alero at the moment so after looking at that thread on Gaownersforum ill definitly do exactly as he did , he used the cavalier bushings as well ?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
JakeBrake
GX Member

Hmmm Well anyone have another opinion , i dont want to waste my money on these?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
<woj99>
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
just my opinion but those bushings on turbocharging.com will NOT work. end of story

I posted a link with those exact bushings being installed into a Grand Am control arm.

JakeBrake, yes he used the Prothane #7-234 bushings that are listed on TTR. They're available on other websites so shop around by that part number for best price. I've seen them listed for $35. Many have used them as an improvement to go along with the aluminum control arms from a '99. Cavalier and N-body control arm bushings have the same part number, so don't worry and go by facts not opinions.

Last edited by <woj99> : 08-06-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
JakeBrake
GX Member

thanks woj I will order them soon , and do you have a link where i could purchase aluminum control arms? do they just reduce weight and nothing else ? would replacing the bushings in the stock ones with these ones be enough for performence?

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Polyuruthane motor Mounts
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
<woj99>
GX Member

You'd have to find the aluminum control arms used at a junkyard, you can also find them on ebay, they came stock on 1999 Grand Ams and Aleros. I think they are a little bit lighter, and they also won't rust like the steel arms. I don't think they do all that much for performance by themselves that you'll be able to feel, but I haven't done this yet so I can't really comment. I think most people make the change to aluminum control arms and poly bushings to complement other suspension mods. Same with the bushings, they'll be better than the soft stock rubber ones, but probably won't make too much of a difference by themselves.

If you want to go for aluminum control arms as well, you have to think about the cost. The arms will be about $50-70, but you'll probably want to get new ball joints as well since you don't know what shape they'll be in on a used set of arms, which will be around $120, and then the bushings at around $40-50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
thanks woj I will order them soon , and do you have a link where i could purchase aluminum control arms? do they just reduce weight and nothing else ? would replacing the bushings in the stock ones with these ones be enough for performence?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Aluminum control arms can also be found on early 99 Malibus.

Notes: Bushings are the same and yes, the ES set works fine. The ball joints for the aluminum arms are different than the standard ones, you'll probably want to replace them on general principle. Overall you will save a few pounds of unsprung weight which should improve handling somewhat. I've been told by an engineer that the resonance of aluminum is better which should minimize road surface induced vibrations - could be magic??? Get em from a junkyard, remove bushings and ball joints, clean well (wire brush), clearcoat (moldy aluminum looks gross), reassemble and enjoy. Nice afternoon project.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
unchained01
GX Member

unchained01 is on a distinguished road
part number for moog ball joints for those control arms K6701 and i got my prothane bushings for less than 30 on in amazon and that was the red ones too the ball joints cost me 48 per i grew up with the carquest owner And i paid 100 shipped for the arms off of eaby i can give you the sellers name if you PM me

Last edited by unchained01 : 08-08-2011 at 06:54 PM.
unchained01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

i must apologize. i worked on a cavilear today and now that i see it (and read about it) i see how it works and looks very simple.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
they work, and on the steel control arm too... got them on my 2 alero one with the aluminium and one with the steel control arm

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote