Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

View Poll Results: Which transaxle?
Automatic (4T40E) 4 21.05%
Manual (Getrag F23) 15 78.95%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #21
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Robalero.........you are just getting the "feel fast" effect........When I had the quad 4 HO calais, it felt faster than the alero, but consitent track times showed that to not even be slightly true.....
Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
make sure you get a quafie lsd for that manual transmission. i've been regretting it every day

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #23
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Even the 4T40 can be made to perform better...

Newer models DO have a lot of internal improvements, primarily for strength (plastic replaced with metal, etc). Changing the filter and moving up to Dex VI helps a lot (handles heat better, flows better) but can be quite expensive to do, I had to use 23 qts to get all of the old crap out.

Tuning can help a lot also. Using an HPTuner you can change many things to improve the auto response: higher pressures, faster shifts, altered shift-points and more. A lot of trial and error is involved but the change is impressive. Chirping from 1st to 2nd is very doable even with over-wide performance tires. Don't forget that you can force shifts using the stick, it will try to do what you ask (besides starting in 1st or 2nd causes the electronics to go into 'performance' mode, give it a try...).
Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #24
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
even so I like the feeling of being able to hold my gear going around a turn
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
So, you're hitting the rev limiter with the auto and you think a manual is going to help you?

If your turbo is spooling too fast for the tranny, why do you think you can catch it manually before it hits?

Don't get me wrong, I love manual trannies. I'm still drawn over buying a GMC Sierra 1500 or 2500 over a Kia Soul, just due to the fact that GM isn't putting sticks in trucks anymore, that's just gay. I mean look how much fun this guy is having ---->

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love manual trannies. I'm still drawn over buying a GMC Sierra 1500 or 2500 over a Kia Soul, just due to the fact that GM isn't putting sticks in trucks anymore, that's just gay. I mean look how much fun this guy is having ---->

You don't even know how much that just made my day. Lol. I still say manual, their just that much more fun. Auto is just convenient.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #27
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Manual will still put more power down to the ground. 1st gear will probably be hard to shift perfect, but the next few should be fine.

I ended up deciding to go to the track Sunday instead (or next Wednesday, because I tend to hate the track that's open on Sunday, total shithole). We shall see.
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #28
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Hey Ion you've got email.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #29
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Neato, thanks again.

Going this Wednesday for sure.
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote