Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Sennema
GX Member

Sennema is on a distinguished road
Recommendations for getting this dent out? Slash pics of the car.

So finally got a camera (well, iphone, but it's all the same in the end I suppose) so here are a couple pics of the car. Just clear corners done to it right now. I'm pinching pennies right now as A) it's getting to be the end of the summer season anyway, and B) I'm headed to Cuba in December and gotta pay for it.

Anyway, they only problem with the car when I bought it was the big dent in the driver's fender. I got a bit of it out with a wooden dowel, but it's way too long and I haven't really had any luck getting the rest of it out. Short of taking the fender off, tracking down a rubber mallet and beating the dent out, any recommendations on getting this puppy off?

Also I am hoping to do this as cheaply as possible because like I said I'm saving for Cuba and still gotta pay the bills while I'm away haha.

and the dent (sort of hard to see with the reflections but I'm sure it's a decent enough idea... bit of a crease but nothing huge that's why I'm hoping it can be removed)
Sennema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Just drive it, it doesn't look so bad. Wait til you have the cash to fix it right. Simply popping it out won't make it look good especially since you would still have rust on your hood. It would be a big job to take the fender off anyways.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fender is not hard to get off!! Maybe 13 10mm bolts and then some push pens some screws. Getting line up perfect is harder.
Bdyman will prolly chime in but where it looks like it is is where the body line is or whatever. Has the like u shape so taking it off and popping dent out would prolly chip paint off. Best bet take it to a dent man or a body shop let a pro do it. Or look for a fender in salvage yard same color or just let it go till you get back from Cuba
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
My advice is to just let it go for now. since it is just cosmetic and the budget is tight, repairing a dent is a low priority.
As for actually fixing it, I agree with pimp ^. it looks like a difficult spot to simply repair without making more damage. professionals to fix, or DIY to replace.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
you wont be able to fix that fender without having to bondo/paint it so you might as well get one from a junkyard or just deal with it til you can afford to have it fixed.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
the fender is to twisted to repair, look at how its sitting by the headlight and at the hood, your better off replacing the fender, its more cost effective too, i would want at leat 7 hours to fix it, fixing a twisted fender to line up at the headlight is one of the biggest pain in my nuts in the trade
ask any body fender tech we hate fixing a fender that is twisted at the headlight

so replace the fender, to save money just have the fender panel painted and dont have the door blended, it wont be a dead on color match but we can get a color close

plus your going to cuba, leave it alone until you get back
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
^^^ agreed,
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
Sennema
GX Member

Alright thanks guys. Not a bodyman by any means, didn't really even notice the twist by the headlight until you pointed it out. Guess I'll live with it and find a junk yard fender/hood later and put em on.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes great idea body man. that was the first things I saw.. it is a waste to get it repaired, but blend the door?!?! why would they do that bodyman?
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh and that is one of the cleanest aleros on this website
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
let us know how it turns out
Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
Sennema
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hok666 View Post
Oh and that is one of the cleanest aleros on this website

Thank you. I'm a big fan of the "clean" look. Never been into body kits and that... and also I'm a little OCD about the cleanliness of my car. Appreciate the comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
blending is a way for us to achieve a color match, no paint system or painter including my self will ever get a color to match up prefectly, we can get it close then we blend the adjacents panles, to achieve the color match

but like i said it costs more money, due to the removing of parts, and preping and painting the adjacent panles, usally it`s like 1-2 hours body labor=65 an hour, then we get about 4-5 prep and paint time=65 an hour
so it adds up pretty quick, so thats why i said to save money just replace the fender, and not have aadjacent panles blended, just to have the fender panle painted

Wow yeah that's definitely gonna add up. I suppose if I'm going to get to that point for just a fender, I may as well get the whole car painted... front end is all chipped anyway from stones and god knows what else, plus a couple odd little dents and swirl marks. In the spring, of course... guess I will just live with it for now. Thanks again for the input I appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
the fender is to twisted to repair, look at how its sitting by the headlight and at the hood, your better off replacing the fender, its more cost effective too, i would want at leat 7 hours to fix it, fixing a twisted fender to line up at the headlight is one of the biggest pain in my nuts in the trade
ask any body fender tech we hate fixing a fender that is twisted at the headlight

You fix fenders? <scratches head>
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
bdyman
GLS member

(scratches head too)
Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
fix fenders can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
You fix fenders? <scratches head>

Well it depends on the ins. co. and if they are willing to pay for it to be bump out and the time to color blended ... Most wont now due to the plastic fenders being use buy GM as they schatter when in a crash...

Like bodyman said just replace the fender ...
Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
bdyman
GLS member

hello