Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 08-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #21
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
140 amp is just right for the thin metal on cars today anything over is overkill, and 120 volt is fine, just plug it in the outlet and go, billy if you can master the english wheel and become a fabricator, re skining the hood is the way to go
when i start my project pics will be up
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
StoopidAlero
GL Member

StoopidAlero is on a distinguished road
That VFiber shit is such poor quality.
StoopidAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #23
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
140 amp is just right for the thin metal on cars today anything over is overkill, and 120 volt is fine, just plug it in the outlet and go, billy if you can master the english wheel and become a fabricator, re skining the hood is the way to go
when i start my project pics will be up

What's the best unit you can get up to 120V? Sorry, I know you been probably asked that a lot here.
I had a Hobart years ago, but it got stolen.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #24
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
I bought a used Clarke 120V w/ gas (using 75/25 right now), so far it's een good for welding on my car.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #25
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
What's the best unit you can get up to 120V? Sorry, I know you been probably asked that a lot here.
I had a Hobart years ago, but it got stolen.

i personally like miller welders
Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #26
kevin1114
GX Member

kevin1114 is on a distinguished road
are fiberglass body parts ok through winters? (-30 celsius)

Take Life's Curves Sideways, and Drift!
kevin1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #27
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
i personally like miller welders

agreed......
Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #28
xeroxed
GX Member

xeroxed is on a distinguished road
Meh, not that impressive... its the camaro SS hood... which is on every rice rocket cavalier and honda
xeroxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #29
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1114 View Post
are fiberglass body parts ok through winters? (-30 celsius)
should be, but you have to make sure you have them painted properly. (ie: primed, painted, cleared, baked, etc) because the paint flexes at different rates in the cold than fiberglass...the paint will crack and maybe chip. Camaro doors are fiberglass, if that's proof enough for you.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #30
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
RE hoods.

Well the ones posted are ok just not my style.

oh as for welders.. see mine..

Last edited by A57 : 01-01-2010 at 08:38 PM.
A57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #31
bdyman
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat View Post
should be, but you have to make sure you have them painted properly. (ie: primed, painted, cleared, baked, etc) because the paint flexes at different rates in the cold than fiberglass...the paint will crack and maybe chip. Camaro doors are fiberglass, if that's proof enough for you.

camaro doors are not "fiberglass" it is called "SMC" same as the hoods on the f-bodies, ford uses it, gm uses it, dodge uses it, and we dont use "fiberglass" to fix it either, we use a product made for "smc" the 2 are totaly different products

the only time we ever bake a car is to get the car done faster, if a car has to go in 1 day, we bake it at the products specs, like ppgs clear should be cooked at 140-160, thats the only time there is no need to bake clear anymore

in my 20yrs i have never seen paint chip off crack off or flex to the point where it will fail on the panle, lets look at saturn the "abs" panles on the car will crack before the paint does, so i say hes good, nothing to worry about
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #32
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

thanks for clearing it up...but I had a FG/CF hood that was NOT painted properly, and when winter rolled around, the paint cracked. It can happen.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #33
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
That hood looks nice but it looks cheaply built
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #34
bdyman
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat View Post
thanks for clearing it up...but I had a FG/CF hood that was NOT painted properly, and when winter rolled around, the paint cracked. It can happen.

like i said paint doesnt crack, i dont give a flying rats ass paint doesnt crack bottom line, maybe the carbon fiber cracked and it looked like the paint cracked, but today`s paint is made to withstand extreme temps
everything from the etch prime, to the e coat, base and sealer and clear is all made to stand extreme temps<<yes i`ll say it again
now back in the 80`s and 90`s when companies tried to do a water based base over a enamle sealer, well we all know what happened with those cars, and i have seen crow`s feet in older paint

but 2000 and up sorry paint today is extremely durable and does not just crack off, now if it flakes off or comes off well your hood was poorly preped and the tech should retire from fixing cars, but thats the only case

thank you paypal payment to
bdyman2001@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #35
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

clear and paint cracked right down to the primer. primer did not crack. I wish I still had the thing to show you....it was a few years ago.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #36
bdyman
GLS member

i forgot to mention the fact that if material is over 3 militers thick then yes you will have "crows feet", and if its preped poorly yes it will flake off, but material does not flake off from heat and or cold
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #37
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

3mm is pretty thick...lol could explain it. Perhaps the timing of it was a coincidence? Was painted in June, cracked in December.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #38
bdyman
GLS member

mililiters, and yes above the 3mm film build gets to thick product over product over product, that is the only reason paiint would crack
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #39
Ian 2000GL LA1
GL Member

Ian 2000GL LA1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ian 2000GL LA1
Quote:
like i said paint doesnt crack, i dont give a flying rats ass paint doesnt crack bottom line, maybe the carbon fiber cracked and it looked like the paint cracked, but today`s paint is made to withstand extreme temps
everything from the etch prime, to the e coat, base and sealer and clear is all made to stand extreme temps<<yes i`ll say it again
now back in the 80`s and 90`s when companies tried to do a water based base over a enamle sealer, well we all know what happened with those cars, and i have seen crow`s feet in older paint

but 2000 and up sorry paint today is extremely durable and does not just crack off, now if it flakes off or comes off well your hood was poorly preped and the tech should retire from fixing cars, but thats the only case

thank you paypal payment to
bdyman2001@gmail.com

obviuolst u dont see any body kits after a real winter. 4+ months below 32 and a month of -20 to -40.

winters in northern NY distory cars with aftermarket body kits.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #40
bdyman
GLS member

dude we get that cold here, the whole body kit thing really isnt to big here, its more muscle cars and air ride stuff, but i have done my share of kits, and is someone is stupid enough to drive a car in a winter with a body kit on then they deserve a kick to the rooster sucker for being a dumbass