Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
Carbon Fiber Question

So here's my dilema. I'm doing the carbon fiber GA front end swap as many are aware. The kit will only match the aed alero rear kit. And I'm having a hell of a time getting the rear bumper. So after comparing the alero bumper to the ga bumper I see that the only difference is the trunk lip. Meaning I could buy a Ga rear bumper (CF) and cut the trunk lip to fit the alero. My question is does anyone know if you cn cut carbon fiber and keep a clean look? I'm guessing not. So I migt be stuck with buying the matching kit in non-CF. That way I can cut and mud it to look good. Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
my idea.... buy a grand am. or trade someone with one evenly since aleros are better they would be stupid not to take the trade
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
You're joking right? They are the same damn car mechanically, how can one be better than the other?
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
bkathsalero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
my idea.... buy a grand am. or trade someone with one evenly since aleros are better they would be stupid not to take the trade

I already have to grand am's in my driveway, a 01 gt and a 02 se

And what makes an alero a better car than a grand am? are the Panels somehow bent better? There the same car
Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
bkathsalero
GL Member

I'm starting to not understand this site. It's called aleroMOD. But it seems if anyone ever trys to do something out of the norm they will be harrased for it or talked out of it. What happened to the custom world of making your car a one-off, no replica, no bolt on's? Just hard work and idea's? It seems alot of people rip on a ga swap. More power to you if you don't like it, but it's not your car. I'm sorry that I don't want to drive down the road with my AAS kit on and see another alero and have regrets that my car is the same. Vise versa with the GA kits. Why not try and make something no one has ever seen before? Explore new boundaries in the n-body world. Apparently if this mod is not favorable to anyone, I won't post about it. It will be my little secret then.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
Ok cutting cf can be done but if your molding off the cf weave the only way you can do it and keep a semi decent look it to either relay cf over your molding, or you can try spraying it black or paint portions of the bumper and kinda make it into a design where the cf is an accent rather than the main attraction in the bumper.
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkathsalero View Post
I'm starting to not understand this site. It's called aleroMOD. But it seems if anyone ever trys to do something out of the norm they will be harrased for it or talked out of it. What happened to the custom world of making your car a one-off, no replica, no bolt on's? Just hard work and idea's? It seems alot of people rip on a ga swap. More power to you if you don't like it, but it's not your car. I'm sorry that I don't want to drive down the road with my AAS kit on and see another alero and have regrets that my car is the same. Vise versa with the GA kits. Why not try and make something no one has ever seen before? Explore new boundaries in the n-body world. Apparently if this mod is not favorable to anyone, I won't post about it. It will be my little secret then.

I like custom because there is not a car that will look like yours around. I like the grand am swap idea. go for it
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
You're joking right? They are the same damn car mechanically, how can one be better than the other?

no in fact im dead serious. the interior design of the alero is nicer, i have seen maybe 4 leather grand ams... they have ugly ass dash boards... and the side trim panels on the doors are hideous... so the fact the chasis and motors are the same evverything else on an alero is better
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
bkathsalero
GL Member

hmmm sounds like an opinion
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
Quote:

No one said modding is dumb.. but seriously dude, why make you car look like something its not. in the end its just an alero, changing panels wont make it anything other than just that.
if i could fullout mod my alero i would.. but its not in my agenda.
Modding is awesome, and its great to do gives you that creativity edge.
but still its an alero not a ga. just drive that 01gt if you want the ga.
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
So here's my dilema. I'm doing the carbon fiber GA front end swap as many are aware. The kit will only match the aed alero rear kit. And I'm having a hell of a time getting the rear bumper. So after comparing the alero bumper to the ga bumper I see that the only difference is the trunk lip. Meaning I could buy a Ga rear bumper (CF) and cut the trunk lip to fit the alero. My question is does anyone know if you cn cut carbon fiber and keep a clean look? I'm guessing not. So I migt be stuck with buying the matching kit in non-CF. That way I can cut and mud it to look good. Any ideas?

Let him do what he wants it's his car he just asked a simple question.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
Let him do what he wants it's his car he just asked a simple question.

Didnt tell him not too.
im agreeing with others opinions thats all
Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02AleroEco View Post
Didnt tell him not too.
im agreeing with others opinions thats all

ok sorry
Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
bkathsalero
GL Member

still people don't get what I'm trying to say, I KNOW IT AN ALERO!!
Old 10-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It's like the Ferrari or Lambo modded Cavaliers/Sunfires, super gay. Custom work is cool, but not when you make entire front/rear ends look like another car. Do it custom, make a custom front end, different bumper/fenders/hood... but not the same kind for another car.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
It's like the Ferrari or Lambo modded Cavaliers/Sunfires, super gay. Custom work is cool, but not when you make entire front/rear ends look like another car. Do it custom, make a custom front end, different bumper/fenders/hood... but not the same kind for another car.

this is what i was trying to get at.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Apparently the secret has been let out of the bag....I think its a waste of a perfectly good grand am bumper. The proof is in the proverbial pudding so to speak.

Can't wait to see how this goes!!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
And what makes an alero a better car than a grand am? are the Panels somehow bent better? There the same car

wow!! didnt know bending a panle makes it "better"
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
that's his point
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
bkath that comment was not directed at you. I think you should go through with it. I was just questioning the logic of the other guy who said that anyone would trade a ga for an alero because alero's are better.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote