Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
No crank

Hey guys. I have a 2003 model Alero. Every once in awhile I will go to start my car and it won't crank. The instrument cluster will light up and all the accessories will work except the radio and it won't crank. My radio is an aftermarket if that helps and I have the good harness that keeps all the factory features.

I can get it to clear up by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and hooking it back up. Then everything works perfectly. Any ideas? I should also mention that the ignition cylinder and switch are brand new. This problem happened before I replaced those parts. I was hoping replacing them would fix this issue as it's been happening for the last 3 years
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Check for corrosion on the battery terminals, use a wire brush and clean it off. Be gentle though. Shouldn't take much. Also verify battery is in good condition, make sure all connections are tight and if that doesn't work maybe a bad starter? The radio turns off when your starter is engaged.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a starter to me.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
03Alerosil
GL Member

Why would disconnecting the battery and connecting it cause a starter to work? I do know when it happens the starter relay won't engage so it's something before the starter. I thought it was the ignition switch. Battery is 3 years old and clean, alternator is maybe a year old. I verified both are in correct working order. The radio does not light up at all when it happens, not even with the key just turned on. It is like there is no power to it or the starting circuit
Old 06-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
03Alerosil
GL Member

Bcm?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
03Alerosil
GL Member

Well it's been awhile since my original post and the car still acts up every once in awhile.

I just replaced the starter and thought all was well but the car acted up on me again this morning. Once again disconnecting the negative terminal and hooking it back up after a few minutes cleared the problem right up. I am about fed up with my Alero and may get rid of it unless I can figure this issue out. Battery is only 3.5 years old.

When it acts up the engine doesn't crank. No relay noise or solenoid or anything. The blower motor slows down when I go to crank and the instrument cluster goes dark but no action from the starter. So something is drawing power but starter not working. At this point I am up for any ideas. I wish it would act up when I had time to really look at it. Oh and last year I replaced both the ignition switch and the lock cylinder.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
03Alerosil
GL Member

I was doing some looking at schematics and the PCM sends the signal to the starter relay which sends power to the starter solenoid. So maybe disconnecting the battery makes the pcm go dead and it resets which allows power to go to the relay.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #8
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Could it be the "security" issue with the ignition switch? The ten minute thing makes it sound like it is, but at the same time, the no crank issue makes me think it isn't. Have you run a computer diagnostic on it? (The good one) If it is the bcm, that may confirm it.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #9
03Alerosil
GL Member

I have no way to run diagnostics on it. I don't think it's security becuase the security light doesn't flash or even stay on when the problem happens. Plus my passlock sensor is brand new
Old 12-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #10
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
When it does not start, does the relay click? I think I have heard that if the relay is working. it should click
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
If this was a tractor, I'd say check to make sure your switch has power and ground at the right spots in the proper positions.

Next time it happens try jiggling your shift selector knob... could be a bad park-neutral switch?
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote