Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
inform me....

im thinking about either running my car into the ground or keeping long enough for a decent truck to come through the shop for me to buy. im leaking a good amount of oil around the cam towers and im thining about fixing it. i do have access to GMSI but id like to have personal experecnde on the job. while im at it i might as well put in a new headgasket, it already has a new water pump and thermostate when i bought it. any one have pics or step by step instructions? id like to do this in my driveway so how do people get around not having the "special j-tools" involved etc etc? pics and directions please.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Oil around the cam tower? Sounds like valve seals maybe? I dont think they are too hard to change.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, the oil is leaking between thehead and the lower part of the tower (below the cam). it leaks bad enough it fills the vally up. im thinking its getting worse cuz now you can smell it which i couldnt a year ago.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
yeah, the oil is leaking between thehead and the lower part of the tower (below the cam). it leaks bad enough it fills the vally up. im thinking its getting worse cuz now you can smell it which i couldnt a year ago.

If you got the tools and experience to do I say go for it. I dont think they are that hard to change.

Mine leaks around the valve seals just a little bit, not am whole lot, not enough to fill the valley up.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
I'd check compression first and if good leave the head alone for now. Changing the seals for the cam towers can be done without losing timing, so clean up all the oil and see if you can tell where its coming from. I'm hoping you only need to go a little ways here...
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

how can you you change the the seals under the camshafts without taking them out?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
how can you you change the the seals under the camshafts without taking them out?

you don't
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

sory i guess the proper question is how can you replace the seals and not loose timing?