Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
Headache

so a little background info...

i bought a gatorback belt and had a shop put it on back in september. it was rubbing against the tensioner and ended up fraying so i took it to another shop and had them put another gatorback on, along with a new tensioner as suggested by the mechanic. (i trust this shop from previous experiences so i agreed).

this was in january.

skip to now. i get out of work and start my car, immediately hearing a flapping noise. i knew it had something to do with the belt, so i popped the hood and looked. didn't see anything unusual, but there was a LOUD flapping noise.

i thought, ok, lets try to make it home. nope. pull out of the driveway and hear a loud noise (belt ripping apart), so i pull back off the road to check and the belt is destroyed. the only thing i can really see is it looked like it skipped a tooth on the crank pulley.

so. with all that said, what could be going wrong? is the crank pulley out of alignment?

also, if it is, will the shop still pay to replace the belt/towing fee, since they were the ones to put it on?

as much as i love it, this car is a freaking headache
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i dont think they will since its been a few months since installed. before i would think anything else is wrong i would switch to a "stock" belt. see if you have they same problem, if you do then i would think its not the belt it would be a pulley. and if you can, install this one yourself.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
If the crank pulley is out of alignment, that's usually caused by the harmonic balancer failing (the rubber inserts fail with age).

I'd get a straight edge and make sure the pulleys all line up. If they do, then it's time to also check the tensioners and idlers to make sure you don't have a bad one.

If they don't, check the pulley that DOESN'T line up.

But no, I wouldn't expect the shop to cover towing if the crank pulley is now out of alignment. It could easily have been IN alignment when they installed the belt.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
apparently all the pulleys are fine. i guess he didn't install the tensioner correctly so he did everything for free. i just had to pay for the tow.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
mastershake
GL Member

update: belt shredded again. this time the mechanic looked at it while it was running and the crank pulley is wobbling quite a bit (how did i not see that before?)

they said it could possibly be the crank.

how much am i looking at to fix this....

also he told me it was fine and that i could drive on this half torn belt....
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Is there some reason why you keep on reusing the Gatorback belt? The Dayco one is thicker. What brand tensioner was used?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake View Post
update: belt shredded again. this time the mechanic looked at it while it was running and the crank pulley is wobbling quite a bit (how did i not see that before?)

It possibly could be. However, with a much higher rate of failure of the balancer, I'd DEFINATELY look at that first.

If you put the car on jack stands, remove the passenger front tire, remove the inner fender, and look at the dampener / balancer, I bet you'll see the rubber cracking and shredding between the inner and outer portions.

At that point, it's possible to do the balancer yourself if you so choose.

RwP
Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
not only that but the balancer is much cheaper then a crank R&R. much better to just throw the balancer at it and hope it fixes it rather then have the crank replaced and still not be right possibly.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Call me silly, but on most cars isn't a balancer rubber part failure pretty rare?

I mean when my strut mount went bad, it was because the metal part rusted out, but the rubber part was still good. It was 17 years old.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake View Post

I would not drive on a half torn belt. That's the worst suggestion I've heard from a shop.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I would not drive on a half torn belt. That's the worst suggestion I've heard from a shop.

I'd be OK with it, as long as I had another one in the car and my tools, and a couple of jacks, and a AAA membership.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
RalphP
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Call me silly, but on most cars isn't a balancer rubber part failure pretty rare?

I mean when my strut mount went bad, it was because the metal part rusted out, but the rubber part was still good. It was 17 years old.[/img]

Actually, no, the rubber failing is a LOT more common than the metal failing on a harmonic balancer. Matter of fact, the only times I've seen the metal fail is after the rubber lets go and the outer section does a rapid departure at high engine speeds.

Consider that the strut mount isn't subjected to petrochemicals, high engine heat, and spinning at up to 5,000 RPM routinely ...

And that there was probably more rubber in the strut mount than in the harmonic balancer.

Let's not forget the main difference between a "race" balancer and a "street" balancer is the rubber compound used.

RwP
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
I think Ralph is on point with this one.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
mastershake
GL Member

it was the balancer.

318 bucks including the belt >.<

total money spent on the alero this year (so far): $800

Last edited by mastershake : 03-15-2013 at 04:13 PM.