Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
sburke
GL Member

sburke is an unknown quantity at this point
Holy crap!!!!!!! I drove Blackjack's car today while he was out here checking out my lights and it is sick fast. It shifts like freaking crazy. The shifts are really firm and right where they need to be to get that beast moving like madness. He was telling me all about the custom tuning he's doing with his HP tuner. If he sees this I'll let him post all the specifics. It is crazy fast though. I don't think I have ever been in a faster V-6. It completely stomps the crap out of my first alero and I had some decent things done to that.

Long story short though, I'm getting that HP Tuner for my car. After driving his I know that it is worth every single penny.
06 Mazdaspeed 6 - Current Vehicle
sburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
the turbo is installed?
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the write-up on that. Just to clear it up, I confused him a little with talking about the HP Tuner for his 4-banger. He meant the PowrTuner that I used on mine.

no, turbo not installed yet, just testing some theories with tuning so far. Believe it or not, there's still alot of untapped HP hiding in that PCM. It's nice to know that so much can be done with simple timing and fuel/air work.

I think I can reasonably asses that once the hair-dryer is installed its just going to get stupid at that point. That poor transmission :Noooo:

Some of the issues I worked out was adding some timing, clearing out the fuel trims and starting from scratch. Further, I took out the fuel related Torque Management settings that related to cutting injectors under torque-abuse settings, and left it to just reducing timing to manage torque control over the transmission. There's no longer a speed limiter, and the rev limiter has been moved up to 6200. Line pressures in the tranny have been increased, and shift points moved up to 6,000 under WOT.

Next phase, I'm dropping in the 42.5# injectors, the 80mm MAF/IAT, and the 75mm TB off the 4.3 Vortec.

Keep in mind, I haven't even installed any ported or polished goodies yet, so there's still more to come. I figured while I wait for my headers I might as well get deep into that PowrTuner and find out how far you can go without power adders.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #4
acold7dusta

how much did that all cost ya? ^^
Old 06-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
be specific cuz i'm stoopid. I'll tell you right now, I probably paid alot less for all my parts than most people could get them for.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
so, are you offering tuning to other members?
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

unfortunately I cannot. DHP went way out of their way to accomodate all my crazy ass requests, and I only purchased the basic PowrTuner package. If I were to tune other people's cars, then ethically I'd have to pay over $2,500 for their special open software for people with performance tuning businesses. I feel if I were to pull some B.S. like that, it would seriously compromise my relationship with them. Although, I really would like to help you.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Orion

Yo BlackJack, are you going to attempt to build one of the fastest All Motor Aleros. It sounds like it. I like your ideas and setup for the PCM, you seem to really know what your doing with that thing. Goodluck with it man, but don't break anything in the mean time. Upgrade everything you can, especially those injectiors, with those types of pushes. What do you currenyly have done to the car now? And ur running the 3400 SFI engine with the Stock Trans right?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:16 AM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

no, not attempting to build the fastest all-motor. I'm preparing for a turbo build that is currently in progress. Improper tuning is something that causes failure via detonation and melted pistons, etc.

This is the purpose for indepth experimenting before adding the boost.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #10
Orion

How much horsepower u think you can get out of it before adding the turbo?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

no idea. I'm not dropping money on dyno until after I get the turbo installed. All I can tell you is that it's significantly faster with just tuning. I would love to take it to the track/dyno and give numbers to help everyone out, but the track is over an hour away, the dyno wouldn't do much good because of expense versus personal gain and I'd have to retune once there just because of ambient temperature and altitude differences.

lets just suffice to say it "feels" a hell of alot faster at this point.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:02 AM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

ok, here's one for comparison. On a Private road (not public street) I ran against my buddy with his 00 Malibu, 3400 transplant, 62mm TB, FFP Underdrive pulley, S&S headers, CAI, full 3 inch Borla exhaust, and mild tuning (DHP's 1.5 file), and I was just about keeping up. Mine only had WAI and medium tune done by me. By 1/4 mile distance he had me by a car length. Not bad for as few mods as I have. Oh yeah, and I had LOTS of extra stuff in my car. So tuning does alot of good I'd say. Now imagine if I had his mods to top it off, plus PnP ULIM/Heads.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:08 AM   #13
elitecloud
GL Member

elitecloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to elitecloud
black, your car is a beast

i kinda wish i would have drove it LOL, but won't lol

did ya get the open source yet?

2006 Toyota X-Runner
elitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:57 AM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

no open source, because "open source" only applies to cars that DHP have developed code for. This is why there is an OBDII port on other GM's but PT doesn't work for them.

I was the first '03 Alero that DHP developed for, so that's why it took a long time for me to get it.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
tuning is very huge, there is a former gtp turned cobalt ss guy with minimal bolt ons running a 12.6 1/4
Old 06-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
nice, that car is gonna be nuts

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote