Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it worth it? I like my stock hu, it plays better than most aftermarkets I have heard. I dont even have the amp and I can run it plenty loud enough with just some new rear speakers. I know you can get a converter to convert to RCA, but how much would I be looking at??? I just want a little more bass.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
FartCannonAlero

i dont think the converter is all that much actually...i know a friend of mine had one for his GTP and i think it cost him no more than 50 bucks..if not less..

but i personally think that the aftermarket radios are ALOT better than the stock ones, i will always have a pioneer deck in my cars..also clarion and eclipse makes some really nice radios as well..

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...0D3E51720817118

thats what my radio did...no amps or nothing...all stock
Old 06-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
i'm runnin a clarion deck right now, and thats about all i'll ever stick to now...i hated my stock deck..i cant understand what you like about it lol
Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Alero2k4
GL Member

Dude, maybe mine is just updated or something, I don't know, but if I have a good cd, I get as much bass than by friends caddy that has a a stock sub in it. Clarity and loudness are also plenty good for a stock hu. Plus, theives don't take factory headunits.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
FartCannonAlero

hmmm..i really doubt that your stock radios been "upgraded" but if your saying that you want a little bit more added bass..id get a new hu..it will up it up plenty..and if your worried about people stealing your radio...put your screen in the case it comes with and then stash it in the glove box...thats what i do..
Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
im back to my factory head unit i have a converter box it does work and it still slams they run about 10 bucks at a car audio shop
Old 06-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
Alero2k4
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pimpalero2003@Jun 15 2006, 11:46 AM
im back to my factory head unit i have a converter box it does work and it still slams they run about 10 bucks at a car audio shop
K, sweet man I just wanted to make sure that they work good you know? I just may have to invest in it that route. You can still run them seperately so I can take all the bass out of my speakers and run it loud as poop right?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Alero2k4
GL Member

A headunit will never give me bass that I can feel good. That is more what I am going for.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:34 AM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
If you want to use the Factory HU, you might be able to tap into the speaker wires before the amp, in some cases these are already low-level inputs to the amp depending on how the system works. I know in other GMs (like Impalas) this is the case.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
pimpalero2003
GLS member

your not going to have much controll over the subs though if your amp has a remote bass boost it will help but your not going to hit as hard. unless you get an aftermarket HU cause they actaully have the hookups and preout power. you could try to hook up the box to you backspeakers to give you a little more power off the fact amp
Old 06-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
acold7dusta

i dk what head units you've heard, but my old head unit had a lil better clarity (basic) and then i upgraded to the kenwood excelon 790 and it made a huuuge difference. it was 210 on ebay NIB-i dont think i could ever mess around with stock crap again

EDIT: also its got a security feature that lets ya type in a password, and if u dont know the password, you cant use it, along with g force analyzer, sub out, aux input, 4-5 screen savers, filters for each speaker, 5 volt outputs, etc etc
Old 06-17-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
pimpalero2003
GLS member

i wasnt saying the stock hu is better they work though and you can still pound of couse a good aftermarket HU is going to sound better you can control more
Old 06-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
The factory deck can be setup to sound pretty nice with a sub. It is all about pairing your components togeather. Meaning your sub and amp. The monsoon system has a suprising amount of bass for a OEM. Mainly due to the 2 ohm 6x9 that is crossed over like a subwoofer. The biggest problem is that it can't hanlde the bass. I blew four before upgrading to aftermarket. If you are satisfied with the clarity of your HU, then a aftermarket will give you no gain in sound. The aftermarket will allow you to control the sub but not make it louder. The key is to make a budget. You will need a sub and amp. If your happy, then spend that money on the Line out converter (28 for sosche) and the sub and amp. I would suggest that you disconnect your rear speakers entirely. You will be able to use the fad to control your subs intensity just like the aftermarkets non fader. The key to any sub and amp is ensuring that you have enough wattage to power your subs. And above all, set your gains correctly. Remember that your sub enclosure and speaker sensitivity will have a drastic affect on how much wattage is needed. Leave a budget and give us a idea of what you are looking for. If your pleased with the bass in the car, but want a little then you won't have to spend much to get some extra bass. The other issue is your music preferance. Rock or heavy metal will produce mid bass. In the range of 150-200 htz. Subs are not always the best choice for this. Many subs are crossed over at 100-150 htz. The the listener wanders why the subs sound weak. The other issue is that the higher the frequency the less wattage your amp will pull. That means that if you set the amp gains for 60 htz tones, rock music will only produce a quarter of the possible wattage. You want to set your gains for 100 htz. Then you will need to do a test and see where the clipping occurs at 60 htz. Just don't go over that point with rap music or hip hop. I also suggest purchasing a amp rated 25 percent over the subs rms with rock music. This will allow you to get more punch out of the midrange.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:25 AM   #14
FartCannonAlero

damn...hes good
Old 06-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #15
Alero2k4
GL Member

Uhh...I don't have the Monsoon system. Of course the bass depends on the cd and setting but as far as I know I don't have that. When I put in my new 6x9's there was only one wire hooked up and I have searched for the amp on the drivers side but to no avail. I still have enough to make my mirror hop, hear the bass from up to 25 ft away, and have quite a bit of rattle. I wish somebody from Aleromod lived in Idaho....lol

EDIT: And TY Mikegett. I have seen the scosche one at Wal Mart for 17 dollars. Would it be hard to wire up? I wired my headunit and speakers in my truck and the speakers in my car. I didn't find it difficult.