Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Knocking on passenger side

So when I'm on the highway, sometimes when I'm coasting or a turn the wheel slightly to the right, it'll start feeling very bumpy and I can hear a knocking noise coming from the front passenger side wheel..

I jacked up my car so the front wheels were off the ground and I can actually wobble the whole wheel left and right with my hands.

I'm thinking there is a problem with either the control arms, the wheel bearing, ball joins or the tie rod ends.. How could I possibly diagnose this issue even further so I know exactly what to replace?.. I haven't ever done work like this before so I think it'll be a great opportunity for me to learn something new.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
i have a couple good pictures on how to check a wheel bearings in this link:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ighlight=bored

while you have the front wheels off the ground look at the control arm bushigns (black round things) where your control arm bolts to the frame. if those look torn out then thats probably your issue.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
If you can move it left and right, then those are the signs of a bad tie rod end.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
Mine is doing the identical symptoms. Wheel bearings check ok and so do tie rod ends. About to replace control ams, sway arm links, and bushings. I'll let you know if it fixes it. Mine's done it since I've had it (about a year) and still haven't figured it out yet!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
i have a couple good pictures on how to check a wheel bearings in this link:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ighlight=bored

while you have the front wheels off the ground look at the control arm bushigns (black round things) where your control arm bolts to the frame. if those look torn out then thats probably your issue.

What I'll do is remove the wheel so I can get a better view and then if I see anything I believe to be out of place I'll take some pictures and post them up.

I'll definitely start looking at those bushings to see if they're torn. My Alero is my DD, so preventative maintainance is my top priority.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
mmorello82
GX Member

Same here bud!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
Mine is doing the identical symptoms. Wheel bearings check ok and so do tie rod ends. About to replace control ams, sway arm links, and bushings. I'll let you know if it fixes it. Mine's done it since I've had it (about a year) and still haven't figured it out yet!

unless your sway bar link is missing one of the rubber isolaters then that chances of that causing the noise are slim. however you may end up braking during removal and need replacement anyways.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
mmorello82
GX Member

So I just got back in the house from replacing the A-arms and.... that wasn't the "whole" problem. I did have bad ball joints, however that was only part of the problem. Got everything back together and had my neice turn the steering wheel and still heard a clunk. After looking closer while she was doing this I discovered that the Power Steering Rack was Loose!! Badly, was moving about a 1/2 inch! Tightened the bolts on driver and passenger side, and cured the problem! Check your rack. The driver's side bolt is about 2 inches to the right of the intermediate shaft at the rack. Can't see it from underneath, will have to look through the fender or use a mirror. PITA to get to, but well worth checking it.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
jawa