Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
TxAlero
GX Member

TxAlero is on a distinguished road
Cylinder out?

Ive been looking around for another Alero to buy and came across one fairly cheap, but in the ad it says one cylinder is out. They claim it runs that it would need an overhaul or enigine replacement.
Can the cylinder go out? I thought it was a mechanical part of the drive train that if it was out it would frezze up the engine?
My guess without looking at it would be cylinder head, or gaskets. Im going to look it over tommorow and was wondering what your thoughts on the issue could be?
TxAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Could have dropped a valve, so the A/F mixture gets forced out the intake or exhaust valve on the compression stroke, or the intake valve could also be stuck, therefore it gets no A/F mixture.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I'm wondering what he is asking, because aleros are getting old enough where one with a blown moter shouldn't be worth much over 500
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
TxAlero
GX Member

Ya because the price is of the Alero is pretty cheap that if it needed another engine I could get another for under 500 dollars around here. Im hoping I dont have to replace the motor and its just a valve issue or possibly something in the ECM or coil packs.

I will be finding out soon. I dont have the equipment to replace a motor so I will be looking around locally to do it. And that might sway my desicion on weather or not to buy it.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
It doesn't take that many tools. You can even rent an engine lift if you don't have one.....
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
i found an engine around me for about $650 with 91k miles out of a 2000 cavalier

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

that's too much IMO.......
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Alerojester
GL Member

that's what everyone else says but its the cheapest one and closest one to me.... and everything else is way over 100k and my car only has like 94k on it so i want to try and stay as close to it as possible..... would i be wrong to do that?????

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

There is this new thing, maybe you'd heard of it, it's called....................SHIPPING!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Alerojester
GL Member

yeah that makes it more expensive i am working on a budget and i have to ask the other owner of the car ( the woman) what she thinks and if we can swing it

Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
kwhauck
2Screwy

No, that makes it cheaper, you can look at junkyards nationwide and have them freight you the motor.

For example, I got a 2.4 out of a 2001 grand am with 22,000miles from a junkyard in Connecticut. The motor was $300 and shipping cost me $180. So $480 for a 22,000 mile motor.

I will caution you however, when you are buying a motor make sure they have a guarantee on a motor. I had another motor similar situation where I got the motor installed it, and it knocked like crazy, they would have found me a similar replacement motor but didn't have one, so I ripped it out, shipped it back an they refunded all of the money shipping and all within 5 business days.

Trust me, I have bought and installed over 10+ junkyard motors into Aleros/Grand Ams.......

www.car-part.com
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
yea cylinder out could be many things. Mine ended up being a spun rod bearing, knocked like crazy but yea it still drove. I got a used one for about $750 to my door with 20k miles out of a 98 cavalier (2.4). So if you can get the car for like $300-500 cause of a bad engine and drop a used one in, you can have a good fairly cheap car. its very simple to pull the old one and put a used one in.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Alerojester
GL Member

that's what i use kyle that's how i found it

Old 03-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
TxAlero
GX Member

I finally got a chance to go out and look at that Alero with the cylinder out. It was a very nice blue 2 door 2000 model full opitons GLS. First thing I did was look under the oil cap----yup u guess it ooze milky white under the cap. So Im like ok ive done a headgasket change before no biggie, then I start the engine. OMG the sound comming from the engine sounded like something had broke off and was making a VERY loud clacking sound.
Eh.. I walked away from it. I dont think I want to get involved in that. Its most likely going to be a complete engine replacement and I dont have an extra 600-800 dollars laying around to do it.