Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
radomirthegreat
GX Member

radomirthegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to radomirthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to radomirthegreat Send a message via Skype™ to radomirthegreat
Air intake tubing that you should buy

You may be using Spectre's corrugated plastic tubing. I am, and I have it because it's extremely cheap. However, I strongly recommend that you change your setup to this expensive stuff with a couple extras. It doesn't absorb heat from the engine like metal piping does, it won't kink, and it's aircraft-grade stuff that NASCAR, ASA, and SCCA guys use. Actually, NASCAR and other organizations use the single-ply tubing for brake ducting, but double-ply is better because it's smoother on the inside.

Colored Double-Ply Silicone Brake Duct Hose

You can only choose between red, blue, or orange. I think that since the 3" tubing is marked as YELLOW, choosing the colors may not make a difference. The pictures on that site are terrible, so let's look to Amazon for $40-higher prices but with more pictures.
Amazon link

I recommend the 3" ducting since it's easiest to make it work. This stuff is awesome since you just put it on a metal or plastic coupler/throttle body/MAF sensor and tighten it with a hose clamp. It is its own coupler! The price may be a turn-off, but you only need 2-3 feet. With a group buy, we could be set. Do we have enough faith in the forum to do a group buy, and who is normally in charge?

Also, I highly recommend getting a 3" velocity stack adapter.
3" velocity stack adapter
With this, clamp the tubing onto the 3" end and put on an air filter with a 6" flange. Here is a list of 6" flange air filters from K&N, AEM, and Amsoil:

K&N
6" long
8" long
10" long
18" long <- Yes, that's a foot and a half of filtering madness!

AEM
9" long

Amsoil order page
Use the following part numbers:
EaAU6065 - 6.5" long
EaAU6075 - 7.5" long
EaAU6080 - 8" long

Ultimately, this gives you a huge filter, a velocity stack to increase air intake speed, very smooth intake tubing at under $7 per foot (at length), and you should get a few more HP out of this setup than with plastic Spectre tubing. Also, this intake tubing does not absorb engine bay heat like metal piping does. It's in my opinion a superior intake. You will need a small metal/plastic coupler for your vacuum/crank vent/air temp sensor, but I don't have a link for that right now.

Dodge Neon ignition coil, S-10 plug wires, modified intake, K&N drop-in air filter, and a Magnaflow cat
radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
FlyingSpoon
GX Member

FlyingSpoon is on a distinguished road
Well myself I don't like plastic anything. So I used some polished aluminum pipe and just cut and bend to however you like. I would recommend doing it that way to anyone.
FlyingSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
radomirthegreat
GX Member

radomirthegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to radomirthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to radomirthegreat Send a message via Skype™ to radomirthegreat
Aluminum tubing is great and is very smooth, but it heats up. I actually don't mind that part too much, but either way this stuff definitely helps when you don't have a tubing bender. After a group buy, it's really cheap and it can be bent with less than human strength. All in all, this is just one more option and not an alternative to all other ways.

Dodge Neon ignition coil, S-10 plug wires, modified intake, K&N drop-in air filter, and a Magnaflow cat
radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
One word....... Header Heat Wrap...
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Thats 3 words. Good counting skills manwhore.

I have a WAI. What do I care if my aluminum heats up?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
I have thought about this but the physics still don't add up. You may have heat conduction with the aluminum piping, but a piece of plastic tubing would be no more efficient at blocking heat transfer to the air within.

Looks like an interesting concept, but appears to be no more than glorified dryer duct tubing...Does not say much about the durability either in case something were to hit the tubing to maintain pressure and protection.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by radomirthegreat View Post
Aluminum tubing is great and is very smooth, but it heats up.
Feel my charge piping tubing. All aluminum. The turbocharger side is hot, after going through an aluminum intercooler, the engine side that goes into the engine is cold. Air intake temperatures are always ambient.

Heat wrapping the intake or using all silicone is not going to make any noticeable difference whatsoever...
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Feel my charge piping tubing. All aluminum. The turbocharger side is hot, after going through an aluminum intercooler, the engine side that goes into the engine is cold. Air intake temperatures are always ambient.

Heat wrapping the intake or using all silicone is not going to make any noticeable difference whatsoever...

True... but if they ask how to keep it cool that is an obvious fix
Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
what is an intercooler?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
my intake tubing is header wrapped from the filter in the fender to the MAF and i wrapped the MAF for good measure. i did it because i had leftover header wrap.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
what is an intercooler?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Quote:
what is an intercooler?

Do you seriously not know how to google. Try it next time before you have other people waste their time explaining basic things to you.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Quote:
what is an intercooler?

are you serious

he's turbo'd an intercooler is something that cools down the charge air from the turbo to the air intake

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan

Last edited by Alerojester : 12-29-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

IBFT Whats a turbo
Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Do you seriously not know how to google. Try it next time before you have other people waste their time explaining basic things to you.

What's google?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #17
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
hahaha i cant stop laughing at that cat
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post

Before you worry so much about wasting your time: I didn't make you respond to the question-so you have no one to blame but yourself.

While we are on the topic of wasting time. Why don't you stop wasting my time. Because the vast majority of your comments on here are worthless like this one, or completely wrong since I have seen again and again someone with more experience tell you that you don't know jack. The only difference between you and me in that regard is that I know I don't know jack and don't try to act like I do. I'll take jabbing from kwhauck or ion because they offer correct and insightful advice, and they jab in a humorous or playful manner that still gets the point across and not looking like a douche bag.

I am a medical professional, not a mechanic. And last I knew this was a car forum for sharing ideas and information so there is nothing wrong with the question.

Everyone was a noob at one point, and I can see you bringing down the new guys that come into the fold that know nothing but were hoping to learn. Way to inspire a sense of community. Maybe with less nimrods like you there would be better turn outs to the shows. Because if I was new, and dealt with an attitude like yours (without knowing that no one really cared what you thought ahead of time) I wouldn't stick around.

So have fun with it guys. And hopefully the next time you're in the hospital someone can treat you like a dumbass for not knowing the specifics of your condition because it isn't your primary realm of expertise.

I'll step off the soap box now. And apologies for hijacking the thread. I won't make any more mention of the subject and thank god for the ignore button.

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 12-29-2010 at 08:19 PM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #19
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
/rant
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Dude wants to hook up his car, we were all there at the same time.

ManWhore, that was last week for you

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote