Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Ignition lock and GM trouble

Just a quick question, is the Alero in any way remotely affected by the GM ignition TSB?
Or was there every any TSB about our ignition lock system?
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Not as of yet. All the cars affected by the TSB are 2005 and newer on the Greek alphabet named platforms.

They technically should be recalled as well for the passlock issue that the N body is known for but that's wishful thinking.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
falloutboy
GL Member

I do not really know what the ignition TSB really is about. But since we had 2 issue with Aleros driving on the interstate and loosing all power.
One lost all power to the gauges, engine still running
the other lost all power to the engine, ABS, Steering and security system while all gauges lit up like a x-mas tree.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 06-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
It was an issue with the key being able to turn out of the on position while driving...more common to happeb with lots of keychains on the key
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
falloutboy
GL Member

that being the actual tsb, or the issue the Alero lock has?
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Those are the tsb issues.... to me yours sounds like the alternate might be failing or a grounding issue might be developing from corrosion....

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
I do not really know what the ignition TSB really is about. But since we had 2 issue with Aleros driving on the interstate and loosing all power.
One lost all power to the gauges, engine still running
the other lost all power to the engine, ABS, Steering and security system while all gauges lit up like a x-mas tree.

The TSB stems from a situation that happened to somebody in Georgia (the state). There was an accident where the car cut off and then the car flipped over killing the driver. Since then this got more attention and now there's a TSB over something redundant considering the fact that most key cylinders become loose and ineffective over time, especially if you have a bunch of key chains and keys on it (think janitor keys). Considering the fact that any key cylinder can be bumped off if it's too heavy then Toyota would need to recall whatever cars from the 80's and 90's are still left considering that those cars were notorious for the key falling out the cylinder. You could start them with a flathead screwdriver or another car key and it was like nothing happened.

This whole situation is nothing more than people choosing to whine over the fact that they have too many keys on their keychains. You're not supposed to put your car key with your chain of keys from your house and job. There's a reason the key ring on the key is big enough to only hold the fob (on the older keys that didn't have the fob integrated into the key). I don't have this problem because I keep my car keys separate from my house keys.

Your issue is electrical. You may have a bad battery or a bad alternator. You could also have exposed wiring that's shorting or a bad ground. The best thing to do is have your alternator and battery tested.

Also as far as the Alero and the well known passlock flaw, I don't think the recall will affect it because the passlock issue is way different from the key ignition being too weak to hold 200 pounds
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
falloutboy
GL Member

Roger, thanks for that Nas, thats what I thought.

I'll see what I can find out about these cars and their issues. If its something odd, I'll keep you (the Forum) posted

and just a ranter - I hate this passlock system the Export Models have. Have to have the FOB working and nothing interfering, this is a PITA
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Nas Escobar.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote