Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-03-2004, 04:48 AM   #1
myowneq
GX Member

myowneq is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an issue that is confusing me. My car has developed a noise in the front driver side. It isn't always there and seems to happen most when I am braking to a stop, but not exclusively so. I pulled the front brake pads and they still have a bit on them. (45k miles on stock pads). There doesn't look to be any unhealthy marks on the rotors.

I have only one guess as to what might have happened. About three weeks ago, I hit a curb doing about 20mph and damaged my driver side rim. The noise started approximately 10 days later.

Does this sound like maybe a bearing was busted? Or is there something else that might make this noise?

This one is easy. If the AC / Heater is turned off completely, should the car still be passing air from outside through the vents when the car is in motion?
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
When the ac/heat is off outside will pass thru the vents. This is normal. Take notice to the green light on the picture of the cars on the buttons below the ac fan speed knob. You only get outside air when using the defroster.

What does the noise sound like? Does the car pull or have trouble keeping speed since this happened? If it does, it's a control arm.

Try to descirbe the noise, I may be able to give a better answer

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:55 AM   #3
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
it probbaly just a bent rim, my friends van had a bent rim and it vibrated and made noise
Old 01-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
3.4Alero

Yes, all cars have air entering the cabin even when the fan is off.

I agree, please describe the noise. Is it a squealing, grinding, rumbling, etc.?
Old 01-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
its prolly like ImSoBored said...its prolly the vibration from the wheel
Old 01-03-2004, 03:13 PM   #6
Oldsmopimp

Yea, sometimes my front drivers side brakes make a "crunching" type noise when stopping. Usually if Im at a light, or a drive thru and just slowly creeping up. I did a lil research before and noticed Olds had problems with faulty rotors and such. My car stopps fine...so ive just kinda let that problem go. It dosent seem to critical.
But maybe that is the noise you are hearing too?
Old 01-04-2004, 12:44 AM   #7
myowneq
GX Member

myowneq is an unknown quantity at this point
The sound is like an old rusty wheel. It squeaks when I am moving. Not all the time though. There no vibrations, clunky noises, grabbing, pulling, etc. Just the squeak. It is really annoying since my car is not even two years old yet. I thought it might have been the brakes also, but the pads are fine and there is no unhealthy wear on the rotors.

Any ideas?
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:46 AM   #8
OLDSskool

If you hear a crunching when comin to a stop it means your caliper is bunnyed.. i have had my calipers rebuilt 3 times now... its a known issue to GM dealerships.. have them check it out if yo uare under warranty