Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #61
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
we are saying consider what you want and what information we have given you... there is enough information here for you to make an informed decision...the rest is up to you... we could sit around for ever and everybody could tell you their opinion about what is best but none of that matters everyones opinion differs and it is completely up to what you want now...if you don't like the first colors you get you can get different bulbs to change the color

Last edited by 03glgold : 11-08-2012 at 03:21 PM.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #62
Blackthunder99
GX Member

Blackthunder99 is on a distinguished road
Buying 6000k headlights and 6000k fogs
Blackthunder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #63
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthunder99 View Post
Buying 6000k headlights and 6000k fogs

Then they're not fog lights.

I gather you turn them on without fog? And you're having them lit for looks, not to see what's going on down the road, right? Then they're not fog lights.

Unless you have an Oldsmobile Mustang ...

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #64
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #65
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #66
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post

I gather you turn them on without fog? And you're having them lit for looks, not to see what's going on down the road, right? Then they're not fog lights.

RwP

all that you are doing is confusing someone who was already confused...how much do the fog lights actually increase your vision anyways unless it is snowing or something else and then it can still help...everybody has different opinions so quit tearing down everything but what you think is best...You offered your advice and leave it at that it is his decision to do what he wants...quit tearing down all his ideas because they aren't what you consider to be the best
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #67
mfuller

Hopefully this will help (at least from an appearance standpoint).
This is 4300K low-beam HIDs in the stock European headlamp housings (the bulbs were an H7 base). I no longer use HIDs in reflector type housings because of all the glare and because the light is not focused at all.
The stock projector foglamps have 3000K HIDs (the bulbs are a 880 base).
FWIW, I used the relay harness as sometimes only 1 light would turn on.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #68
Blackthunder99
GX Member

Blackthunder99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Hopefully this will help (at least from an appearance standpoint).
This is 4300K low-beam HIDs in the stock European headlamp housings (the bulbs were an H7 base). I no longer use HIDs in reflector type housings because of all the glare and because the light is not focused at all.
The stock projector foglamps have 3000K HIDs (the bulbs are a 880 base).
FWIW, I used the relay harness as sometimes only 1 light would turn on.

How much did your 3000k fog lights help
Blackthunder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #69
grannysalero
GX Member

grannysalero is on a distinguished road
I'm going to post a thread about this but after reading all this want to let u guys know about the cheapest HID lights I've ever seen I stumbled upon by accident! Tmart.com has everything we need l.e.d and HID. HID's are $10 a pair! Ballasts are $16 each! Ordered and patiently waiting :-)
grannysalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #70
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

RwP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
all that you are doing is confusing someone who was already confused...how much do the fog lights actually increase your vision anyways unless it is snowing or something else and then it can still help...everybody has different opinions so quit tearing down everything but what you think is best...You offered your advice and leave it at that it is his decision to do what he wants...quit tearing down all his ideas because they aren't what you consider to be the best

So, insisting that people state things accurately is tearing them down?

Fog lights, BY DEFINTION, are supposed to help in fog and rain.

They are yellowish, BY DEFINITION, to avoid the blue component glaring back in the water vapor (study up sometimes on why the sky is blue.)

Insisting that they be 6000K is nice if you're using them as DRIVING lights, but last time I looked, DRIVING was not the same word as FOG.

But eh.

To each their own.

As I said, calling them "fog lights" at 6000K and leaving them on all the time is like saying "I gots an Oldsmobile Mustang" or "I gots a Ford Alero". Not quite what it really is.

RwP
Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #71
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
So, insisting that people state things accurately is tearing them down?

Fog lights, BY DEFINTION, are supposed to help in fog and rain.

They are yellowish, BY DEFINITION, to avoid the blue component glaring back in the water vapor (study up sometimes on why the sky is blue.)

Insisting that they be 6000K is nice if you're using them as DRIVING lights, but last time I looked, DRIVING was not the same word as FOG.

But eh.

To each their own.

As I said, calling them "fog lights" at 6000K and leaving them on all the time is like saying "I gots an Oldsmobile Mustang" or "I gots a Ford Alero". Not quite what it really is.

RwP

Using your "DEFINITIONS" is not what I am considering tearing him down the fact that you have called everyone who has said they like any color other than what you say is best wrong. This is what I call tearing them down. Nobody is insisting that they be any particular color, however if that is what he wants then that is what he should get. I am pretty sure that everybody knows what fog lights are meant for as we are not in kindergarten any more, and a certain color may work best for a specific purpose, however that doesn't mean it will be totally worthless a different way. Like I say a lot it isn't always in what you say but how you say it. Most of your responses in this have been to tell people that their color choices are wrong. Post your help response and then leave it at that. He asked what people used and what they liked best, you told him, which was good but then you continued to push and push what you consider best. Also how does the whole mustang comment even make sense, I believe that your definition of a fog light would still pertain to them unless as noted you used them as driving lights. Believe it or not but that little button to turn them on allows that to work for any car. It is quite the novel idea, and is not only done in mustangs.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #72
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
I have both 3000k on my two hella fog lights on my light bar and I have 2 hella driving lights with 4300k. I love them. Also have 6000k on my low beams for my projectors.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #73
RalphP
GX Member

Quote:
Using your "DEFINITIONS" is not what I am considering tearing him down the fact that you have called everyone who has said they like any color other than what you say is best wrong. This is what I call tearing them down. Nobody is insisting that they be any particular color, however if that is what he wants then that is what he should get. I am pretty sure that everybody knows what fog lights are meant for as we are not in kindergarten any more, and a certain color may work best for a specific purpose, however that doesn't mean it will be totally worthless a different way. Like I say a lot it isn't always in what you say but how you say it. Most of your responses in this have been to tell people that their color choices are wrong. Post your help response and then leave it at that. He asked what people used and what they liked best, you told him, which was good but then you continued to push and push what you consider best. Also how does the whole mustang comment even make sense, I believe that your definition of a fog light would still pertain to them unless as noted you used them as driving lights. Believe it or not but that little button to turn them on allows that to work for any car. It is quite the novel idea, and is not only done in mustangs.

Again, the whole color thing is due to "Do you want to see, or want to look cool?" If you want to see, spending money on lights that are not effective with human eyes is a total waste of money. Oh, do it if you want - but DO be aware of WHAT are the most effective light colors.

As to the "Oldsmobile Mustang" type comments - if you're not using the fog lights as fog lights, don't call them fog lights. I'm sorry if the simile didn't make sense to you - I was trying to point out "Use them for their intended function, or don't call them what they used to be." Using them to light up the road all the time is NOT what they're for. Or at least, not what they're INTENDED for. (They're also too low for driving lights, but eh.)

I'm glad you think most folks are aware of what fog lights are for. I don't see evidence of that myself - otherwise, we'd have more of them amber/yellow in color, and fewer of them on with high beams and wired with parking lights.

Plus, it's always nice to be aware of why things are the way they are. You'd be surprised (or maybe not!) at what's NOT taught nowadays in schools. Stuff that was basic when I went to school in the 60's and 70's (why, yes, I AM an ancient geezer, thank you for noticing! ) is now skipped or not even mentioned. So I like to point out WHY certain choices are better for actually using something. People ignore the facts, that's obvious.

Now if that's tearing people down, to keep insisting that facts and logic be used - Congratulations! You're a product of our school system where everyone's a winner, it's all opinion, and it doesn't matter what you do, it's all right! *sarcasm there*

RwP
Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #74
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Again, the whole color thing is due to "Do you want to see, or want to look cool?" If you want to see, spending money on lights that are not effective with human eyes is a total waste of money. Oh, do it if you want - but DO be aware of WHAT are the most effective light colors.

As to the "Oldsmobile Mustang" type comments - if you're not using the fog lights as fog lights, don't call them fog lights. I'm sorry if the simile didn't make sense to you - I was trying to point out "Use them for their intended function, or don't call them what they used to be." Using them to light up the road all the time is NOT what they're for. Or at least, not what they're INTENDED for. (They're also too low for driving lights, but eh.)

I'm glad you think most folks are aware of what fog lights are for. I don't see evidence of that myself - otherwise, we'd have more of them amber/yellow in color, and fewer of them on with high beams and wired with parking lights.

Plus, it's always nice to be aware of why things are the way they are. You'd be surprised (or maybe not!) at what's NOT taught nowadays in schools. Stuff that was basic when I went to school in the 60's and 70's (why, yes, I AM an ancient geezer, thank you for noticing! ) is now skipped or not even mentioned. So I like to point out WHY certain choices are better for actually using something. People ignore the facts, that's obvious.

Now if that's tearing people down, to keep insisting that facts and logic be used - Congratulations! You're a product of our school system where everyone's a winner, it's all opinion, and it doesn't matter what you do, it's all right! *sarcasm there*

RwP

Honestly I don't even really like HID's because they blind me when other people have them and it annoys me so I won't get them. I understand what you are saying with the color, because for whatever reason the lights that were put in as my brights have a bluish tint where as my regulars are a more true white and while the brights are visibly brighter, the light isn't as usable. Sure one tone of color might be proven to be the best, however what you use still comes down to opinion. They make so many colors so that you can choose what fits best to what you are trying to accomplish from most effective, to plain show and anywhere in between. Ultimately what you choose IS opinion, while it is good to make a informed decision about what you get. You pointed out many times that it was the optimum position in the light spectrum and nobody actually said that you were wrong about what worked best, just that they had used something different and liked their results. You seem to be one of the people who take everything too personal. Just because people don't follow your exact advice doesn't mean that they ignore it. Ignoring would imply that they didn't consider it and at one point he was talking about 6000k for the headlights, and 3000k for the fogs. He decided that he wanted something different. Your first advice was helpful and I even tried to help you out a little when you were being given crap for repeatedly correcting 8k to 8000k even though we all knew what was intended. You did start to get pushy as you advice wasn't followed though and when it was pointed out you got angry about it. Part of life is that you don't always get what you want, (I am pretty sure that is what your school system taught you) so why are you getting so irritated that your advice wasn't followed. All you can do is offer up your opinion or knowledge and it is up to the others as to how they want to use it. While it is necessary to give proper information it isn't necessary to be so serious about it. I am done commenting back and forth to you because I don't want to get his thread locked if he has more questions.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #75
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
gold: you need hids, you will be very satisfied. i used to hate hids too, but after getting em. i never want to go back to stock. they look great and work very well. think about it, all those people you dont like with them, you can just blind em right back.

speaking of... my "foglights" are useless.. but i like it better that way. hids are enough for me in the normal low beam lights.

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 11-23-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #76
RalphP
GX Member

Heh.

03glgold - I don't understand why you think I'm angry. I'm not angry. I WAS a teacher at one time, and had to rely on "Repeat it until it soaks in" method for a lot of the students. I tend to do that today still.

OTOH, you twig onto one reason why I tend to be somewhat insistent on intelligent choice of headlight color ...

Quote:
Honestly I don't even really like HID's because they blind me when other people have them and it annoys me so I won't get them. I understand what you are saying with the color, because for whatever reason the lights that were put in as my brights have a bluish tint where as my regulars are a more true white and while the brights are visibly brighter, the light isn't as usable.

OTGH, on my daily driver, I have HIRs for the low beams and HIDs for the high beam, 4300K HIDs for high. Don't have the fogs mounted YET, but I'll be moving over the 3000K HIDs that my old car had (the bulbs, the housings are incompatible). That was at least partly to avoid this for other drivers.

I don't really expect most of today's drivers to think of the other drivers - but hey, maybe I can mention it and it gets a "Oh, yeah, I hate that also. I don't want to be That Guy that's blinding everyone else! And it's interesting why it works that way." I mean, truthfully, have you ever thought about why certain things are the way they are? It helps when trying to fix a problem if you know how something's SUPPOSED to work, and how it DOESN'T now.

But eh. To each their own.

RwP
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #77
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I don't see how they are blinding.... Don't look at the lights, and you'll be fine.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #78
RalphP
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
I don't see how they are blinding.... Don't look at the lights, and you'll be fine.

Heh.

Indiana is probably flat enough it's easy to follow your advice.

Down here in North Louisiana / South Arkansas, we have these things called "HILLS" and "CURVES" ... and the only way to avoid the headlights 100% is to close your eyes.

NOT what you want the guy coming at you at night to do, trust me!

RwP
Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #79
sleepyalero
GLS member

we have hills and curves too.

tint your windshield quit cryin!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #80
RalphP
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
we have hills and curves too.

tint your windshield quit cryin!

Heh!

I've met folks who do.

Depending on where and how much, I think of Forrest Gump myself. Or one of my favorite quotes from that movie, anyway.

RwP