Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #21
Th0r
GX Member

Th0r will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
your exhaust manifolds....are they new, custom (home garage) made, or professionally made by one of the major header manufacturers?

I've seen something like this before where "home made" headers had slag and what not left inside the runners from the welding and went flying out through the exhaust pipes doing the same kind of damage.

If you don't think this is the cause, I suspect you should pull all your spark plugs and check them for pitting. If you find any, then pull the heads, and look for a broken piston crown. With a busted crown, the engine can still run, although a bit rough, but is a possible cause.

This was in the factory LD9 manifold that's been on the car since new. The sensor was not dropped or anything like that. That's just how it looked before I put it into the header. No backfires that I know of. The current plugs are also in good shape, but they've only been there for a month. I saved the old plugs since they only had 6k miles on them and they look fine as well.

A busted crow could be possible. My engine does seem to run rough, but I just attributed that to it being a quad, so who knows. I'm sure I'll be breaking the motor down soon enough. Cam towers are leaking so I need to replace the seals, while I'm at that I might as well install new cams, and while the cam towers are off I might as well crank a few more bolts and pull the head to PnP it, and while the heads off I might as well put in forged guts. Most expensive cam tower seals ever.