Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Rust vs. Alero

so, i knew it would happen sooner or later because my car is 10 years old but I feel like in the last year, my car suddenly hit a "self-destruct" button and is rusting apart! It's not really visible but my trunk lid latch has rusted off and I repaired it with some stainless steel bolted in place and the paint on my driver quarter panel by the taillight is bubbling up but thats the least of my worries. This past weekend, my power steering blew a line and I am proud to say I successfully fixed it myself this time, but getting under my car for an extended period of time allowed me to see how terrible the underbody of my car is doing! here's the problem areas I have seen but don't know how to prevent from further damage:

exhaust shield by cat is literally hanging on by 1/4 inch of rusted metal, all attachment points are rotted through or mostly gone

both driver and passenger rockers are rotted out, I peeled up the plastic trim in the door jams and there's barely anything metal left under them (explains why my carpeting gets wet on its own when driving in rain)

the exhaust manifold shield on the engine is rotted out around two of the bolts that hold it on (i thought this was aluminum??)

bottoms of doors are all rusted on the inside lip

So, I know many of these issues I have to live with but is this happening to everyone else? I know I live in Michigan that salts the shit out of the roads but I am insane about washing my car and rinsing the underbody. I don't know what else i can do to slow down this process. I was thinking of coating all super bad areas with rust neutralizer and then a coat of rustoleum? after all its under the car so nobody would see it?

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
Use some washers to fix your heat shield problem and use Por 15 or a Product called Chassis Saver to undercoat underneath your car, Its expensive, but I heard its the best stuff out there. I apllied rust neutralizer and rattlecanned underneath with undercoating and matte black and Its already rusting back through. This summer ill redo it the right way with por 15 or chassis saver. for the bottom of your doors sand to bare metal, coat with some self etching primer and paint.

Last edited by Greencoupe2.2 : 02-14-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
Those r the exact spots under my car that r rusty too. Rockers r mostly gone and bottoms of doors were all rusty. Fortunatly just on the inside. I cleaned it the best i cud and por15-ed everything i cud see. Bottoms of fenders r gone so those move around a lot, and ill hav to figure that out at some point.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
Those r the exact spots under my car that r rusty too. Rockers r mostly gone and bottoms of doors were all rusty. Fortunatly just on the inside. I cleaned it the best i cud and por15-ed everything i cud see. Bottoms of fenders r gone so those move around a lot, and ill hav to figure that out at some point.

so funny you mention the fenders... went through the car wash today, got home and thought somebody hit me because passenger fender was pushed in. I opened the passenger door, grabbed the fender and pulled it and it moved freely. looks like my fender rotted out...

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Reading all the rust horror stories on these cars I'm really glad ND uses like no salt on the roads. Sand FTW.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
sfi3400
GL Member

sfi3400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sfi3400 Send a message via Yahoo to sfi3400
Pictures?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
We use lots of salt and my car has rust coming through around the gas cap, lip of hood, bottom of doors, bottom of trunk lip, the rocker area mostly front of rear tire area, and my exhaust looks as though it is gonna all rust apart at once anytime now. My hood I feel is rusting prematurely because its my second aftermarket hood due to hail claims, I though after the 2 hail claims my car would be rust proof with the layers of paint on it, but thats not so!
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Even the european versions rust.

But I have to admit some of the bad spots are my fault.

But compared to some Audis or BMWs my 99 is holding pretty pretty strong - and is a lot cheaper than those cars.

The most irritating thing is, all my spotwelds on the underside rust ... pretty strange. I'll snap some pics if I'm under there again.
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
google rust release.