Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
aleromod101

Like its said where to start. Ive got sounds done now need to power. Also I may add that I am having alot of trouble with my motor so Im getting a crate motor and starting there. So any ideas and whats the best mods to start with.

Also I would like to add that I am having a bumpy ride going about 70 and up. Not rims not tires. I have had balanced no bent rims.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Depends, do you want mild performance, or do you wanna go all out (either way, boosted or normally aspirated).

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
aleromod101

Well Im wanting to go pretty far out. I will end up with a blower or a turbo. So what you think.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
crate motor? I'd like to see this happen
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
aleromod101

No No not that kinda crate motor. LOL. Ill put that im lame mans terms the motors that comes on a crate.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
get ready to drop some loot.
1. Ross pistons are making custom for 3400, about $795, includes forged pistons, gas nitrated rings, 4340 tapered pins, and spirolox retainers.

2. Eagle H-beam rods from a small-journal SBC 5.7" centers, will need to be side clearanced a couple thousandths and then chamfered, about $400-500. Make sure you get the cross-grained rod caps and ARP rod bolts.

3. Line-bore the mains and add Moroso billet caps and ARP main bolts.

4. Wait till you get ready to drop on the boost before cam selection, but if you're going boosted, I'm going to recommend for a wild setup to use these specs: Dur @ .050 211° intake and 206° exhaust, Lift .515 intake and .512 exhaust (1.6rr), Lobe separation 115, Intake centerline 111.
This cam will have a bit of lope to it, and will put your powerband in the mid-upper RPM range, and has a good lobe separation angle (LSA) for a boosted setup. I'd say it's probably borderline streetable. about $400

5. Heads - go bananas on this one, this is where most of your flow will kick in. My setup consists of SI stainless polished valves, titanium keepers/locks, hogged to the max, and modified Crane Gold true roller bearing rockers. about $1200-1800

6. Cloyes true double roller timing gear set for the 2.8 will bolt right on, but you'll have to clearance the inside of the cover just a hair. about $99 from Summit Racing.

7. Crane or Competition Cams custom made pushrods, heat treated heavy walled chromoly, about $125

8. Have the oil galleys chamfered and smooth polished for quicker oil return flow to the pan.

9. ARP Head stud kit, consisting of studs, 12 point nuts and washers, about $230

10. .070 water-jet cut copper headgaskets with stainless bore rings. Will drop your compression to appx. 8.7:1 for your boost. about $200.

This setup is costly, but we're estimating that it should be good for boost in excess of 20psi and well over 600hp. There's only three of us that I know of that are going this far. One of us is currently 90% complete on it, but I'm holding out till next season for financial reasons as you can see

Old 04-11-2006, 01:37 AM   #7
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Blackjack, is Jeremy (Germ) one of the guys doing this build? Cause if he is im gonna have to swing up to his place when its done and get a ride in that beast. It was stupid fast before, now ill probably sh** myself if he builds a car like that. Nice.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:02 AM   #8
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
so basically to build an engine like that in all you would spent about 10 grand?, this includes all of the above listed, the turbo kit, and transmission build up
Old 04-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

oh, heavens no...I wouldn't spend that much. That's retail....I never pay full retail when I can avoid it. After adding in a turbo and transmission build, I totaled everything up to around 8,500 or so(retail). By the time I'm done, I'll probably have around 6k plus minor incidentals.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

alerored04: I doubt he has the time to put into that, with his two jobs However, a friend of ours tejohnson is. That boy's gone bananas under his hood. I totally expect him to have THE fastest N-body period. I don't have the resources (read "funding") to catch him.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
aleromod101

I really appreciate that. Alot . I wont pay retail either cause I have a shop. Just wish I was more fimilar to 3.4 engines. Ill be done with all listed above in 4 months.

Also what about the PCM will that be needed.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

if you're going boosted, buying a modified PCM is useless. You need a PowrTuner if you're going to do it right. Then you can program it all the way you want it, and fine tune everything.

DHP, $400

Oh yeah, and when ordering parts....be aware, there is a 3.4 and then there is a 3400. We have the 3400, not the 3.4. Two different engine designs, and they dont mix and match.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #13
aleromod101

Alright man sweet and thanks. What kind off turbo did you get with.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #14
aleromod101

Just curious
Old 04-12-2006, 12:23 AM   #15
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

heavily modified DPP stage 3 kit, not their usual public offering.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #16
aleromod101

What kind of turbo do u reccomend me getting
Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 AM   #17
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

t3/t4 hybrid.