Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Painting rims?

Hey aleromod members. I've been thinking of painting my rims. I dont know if its a good idea though what do you think? I am thinking of using a stripper to remove the plastic coating on the wheels, and from there I dont know what to do. I could either polish it all up, or I could paint the 5 spokes only (gunmetal or black). If I do paint it, I am thinking of using the duplicolor wheel paint. A friend used it on his trans ams rims and it looked good and supposedly shouldn't chip. Any opinions will be appreciated and bellow is a picture of the rims. 1st one is what Ive got now, second is after paint.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
I dont think I've seen anyone paint their rims to seriously make them look better.. I've seen people whip out a can of black spray paint and just ruin a good set of wheels, but actually painting the wheel a different color- sounds interesting-

Wonder what the factory alero wheels would look like painted a gunmetal color

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Powder Coat them is anything.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Midgear
on vacation

anyone ever done that? just paint the stock alero wheels?

I think that'd be pretty sweet lol

Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
yes and it looks retarded. 99.9% of painted stock wheels on a typical (non-high end) car look terrible. many have painted theirs black here.

what kind of rims are those? they look TINY. do it gunmetal, or buy some 18s.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
i did at one point have mine painted black...it is definately an interesting look to have painted stock wheels, but black wheels on a white car wasnt half bad. the wheels u have tho wud looke really good in a gunmetal color with a chrome or polished lip like in the pic.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
Valley olds
GLS member

The rims are pretty small (15's), but I don't want to go any bigger cus this will be my daily driver and I dont want to be attracting thieves or bad people attention. Right now I'm kind of nervous as to how it would come out. If I were to paint it, I would polish the lip and the center. Thats why I want to remove the plastic coating. Tomorrow, I don't really have time, but come Thursday, I will start.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtolds View Post
Powder Coat them if anything.

i second that, if you try to paint them yourself i guarantee they will look like shit.......
Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
My Wheelcovers have turned some Hella Ugly colours, I can't afford rims, I was thinking about Sanding them down and repainting them. Anyone ever done that one?
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Powercoating FTW

Powercoating is more durable and there are sooooo many colors to choose from.

The powercoating shop I go to has a few rims that are powercoated for color examples, and they look good, except for the lime green one with the silver lip

Paint them once, and your going to be painting them again and again and again. My dad painted the rims on the Nova back in the early 90's because all the paint from the factory was flaking off, didn't take long for it to fall off again

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
There is a site that powdercoats rims for 399 for a set of four. I would def powdercoat.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
Valley olds
GLS member

Powdercoating sounds good, but 399 is a bit much for me. Also, down here, there are no powdercoating shops. Im probably going to end up using spraypaint. Oh and meadus101, if the chrome around the simulated lug nuts on the hub cap is turning green, I recommend wadding polish. It will remove some of the greenish stuff, but if what you want to do is remove scratches, it wont do that.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Wow gooooood luck with the spray paint!!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
paulyb
GLS member

paulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these parts
if your going to do it use a good paint like duplicolor or what ever it is. I painted me explorer rims black and have yet to have a problem with them, then again its a trail truck so it doent matter...lol

I didnt use a stripper either, i just roughed the surface with a brillow pad..lol like macco's 300 doller paint job. It held up decent even with the mud and everything else.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

use this.

Last edited by paulyb : 07-31-2008 at 10:38 AM.
paulyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I think that painting your rims is a bad idea and they will look like crap in a year, if not sooner.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 07-31-2008 at 11:37 AM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #16
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

If you are hell bent on getting them painted, just take them to a shop and have them paint them, then clear coat, of course it may take some green but the results will be far better then spray paint IMO. I still think that powdercoating is the way to go if you have access to it and the doe.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
Valley olds
GLS member

Unsecond thought, I think Ill save my money to either have it proffessionally done, or get replacements. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
Midgear
on vacation

I just noticed this today.. and since this thread involves wheels- here goes.

apparently- while using a tire shine.. I had left a bit of residue from it on the wheel itself (didnt even notice it) ... As I'm walking out to my car.. I look down and notice something is peeling off the wheel.. "wtf?"

I get down for a closer inspection and it looks like the finish or whatever it is.. is peeling right off the wheel what can be used to re -apply this protective finish?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Powdercoating wheels cost about $50/wheel through the local guy around here.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
Midgear
on vacation

excuse the retardation.. what's the difference between powder coat and painting?