Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 06-19-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
I got these pads a month ago and installed them. I got them because I wanted quiet brakes. Well, not the case with these. Right when I installed them along with new rotors, they made a grinding noise as I would come to a stop. I gave it 1000 miles and the noise just got worse. plus as time went on the performance got worse. I pulled them off yesterday and got some stock pads, and the noise is gone. I would suggest anyone that don't like any noise, DON'T get these pads. I hate stock pads because they don't last long, but they are QUIET.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
alero168
I Love Tiara!

alero168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero168
not sure if oldsman has what you have but he does have raybestos and i know he likes them and by the way it's QUIET not quite hehe.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alero168@Jun 19 2004, 09:13 PM
not sure if oldsman has what you have but he does have raybestos and i know he likes them and by the way it's QUIET not quite hehe.
Woops, don't I feel stupid... :rolleyes: I have no idea why or how I misspelled "QUIET"..Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. I almost bet Oldsman has just the plain Raybestos pads. That is what I should have got, but I got the QS because they were ceramic. Oh well live and learn.. They may work great for some people, just not for me.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:06 AM   #4
mobs241

just to let you know, i work for an autoparts store and we deal with the raybestes/wagner line of brakes. both manufactures researchers for tehse brake companies are saying that if a vehicle isnot equiped with ceramic brakes from factory, they should not be used on that car. you should stick with the semi-metallic that its supposed to have on it..
the grinding noise you were hearing was the surface of the rotor wearing away, casue the rotors were softer than the pads....
just a fyi.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:23 AM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
What if your buying new rotors

I want to put ceramic pads on with my power slots

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mobs241@Jun 27 2004, 12:06 AM
just to let you know, i work for an autoparts store and we deal with the raybestes/wagner line of brakes. both manufactures researchers for tehse brake companies are saying that if a vehicle isnot equiped with ceramic brakes from factory, they should not be used on that car. you should stick with the semi-metallic that its supposed to have on it..
the grinding noise you were hearing was the surface of the rotor wearing away, casue the rotors were softer than the pads....
just a fyi.
I was told by several people including Raybesto's site, that our cars us ceramic pad form the factory. I just got some OEM pads ( whatever they are made of) and they are quite and the wheels don't seem to get near as hot as they did with the ceramic.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
our cars don't use ceramic pads from the factory. whoever said that is smoking crap.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
mobs241

Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@Jun 27 2004, 12:23 AM
What if your buying new rotors

I want to put ceramic pads on with my power slots
unless the rotors that you buy are designed a lot stronger than the oem ones it will do the same, and even then the calipers might get damaged trying to use them, i would stick away from them. the only advantage with the ceramics is the lighter dust.
and the alero NEVER came from teh factory with ceramics. it came with semi metallic pads.
there are very few cars on the market today that use ceramics yet. and theres a good reason why. stick with the semi- metallics and get some wheel cleaner if your worried about the dust. the ceramics are more problems than there worth.
we do not stock them at our work, nor will we order them for you even though we can. we only stock the ceramics for the cars that have the ceramics already on them theres to many things that have to be upgraded to use them.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:23 PM   #9
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am using ceramic pads on My 01 Alero with Raybestos QS on the rear,another brand ceramic on front & am using import rotors front & rear (I get the rotors cheap) & the brakes are fine...no noise & no brake fade. Works a LOT better than the factory garbage.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #10
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@Jun 27 2004, 09:30 AM
our cars don't use ceramic pads from the factory. whoever said that is smoking crap.
If you go to tirerack.com, and raybestos site they both say that our cars use Ceramic pads for the factory. Who knows.. All I know is that I hate brake noise and these pads sucked for me.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:50 PM   #11
mobs241

Quote:
Originally posted by brsexton+Jun 28 2004, 11:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brsexton @ Jun 28 2004, 11:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Oldsman@Jun 27 2004, 09:30 AM
If you go to tirerack.com, and raybestos site they both say that our cars use Ceramic pads for the factory. Who knows.. All I know is that I hate brake noise and these pads sucked for me. [/b][/quote]
they lie. i checked with our computers at work, no oldsmobile alero any model/submodel was ever equiped with ceramics, then i double checked at a dealer...
god im to bored at work.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:33 PM   #12
alerosport.com

any one have the 9 1 1 Brake pads? i wantied to know if they were ceramic or not...

my car seems to pulse when i apply the break.... disks and pads were replaced last spring.... and im thinking, hoping its cuz there ceramic...
Old 07-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #13
marca

I installed Raybestos QS pads and Raybestos rotors on front about two months ago and not a bit of noise, and minimal dust. Also had to replace both wheel bearings around the same time. So, while my car drives great, the OE parts that came on my 01 GLS were garbage.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:19 AM   #14
Wildman
GL Member

Wildman is an unknown quantity at this point
I work at an auto parts store, and we sell a fair amount of ceramic pads. I know that the Alero didn't come with stock ceramic pads, however, even in our computer, it shows as a replacement that it should be ceramic. I had a line of ceramic pads by Raybestos on my front, and was displeased with them. The formula was too hard, and I really had to pressure the pedal to get the car to slow down. Right now I have organic pads on the front. They didnt list semi metalics for the front of the Alero, so it may not be recommended ???? anyways, Raybestos now has a new formula of ceramic pads listed for Alero, and many orher applications, so I am going to try them soon. I think they will be much better. Keep ya updated..
Old 08-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #15
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed those pads on mine and I've had no problem at all. :thumbsup:
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:32 AM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
What kind of rotors is everybody using?

I bought the Ray's and after reading this I'm think about sending them back to PFYC

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #17
DCAleroGL

theoretically, and this is my opinion, if you buy aftermarket pads, they should be matched to the rotors. If you use the soft compound of a semi metallic pad with a slotted or high quality steel rotor, they will wear out way too fast. If you use a harder ceramic pad with the softer stock or cheaper replacement rotors, you will get a grinding noise and the rotors will wear down. Raybestos rotors should be used with quiet stop pads, 9-1-1 pads should be used with powerslot rotors, semi metallic pads should be used with stock rotors. Buy pads and rotors from the same manufacturer, as they are engineered and tested to work together.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:34 AM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

So using the Ray's with slotted rotors will be good?

When I got the front Power Slots my mech used some kind of hard compond pad and the car would NOT stop. I don't want to have that happen again

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-16-2004, 01:23 PM   #19
DCAleroGL

When I was looking at the powerslots, I was also researching pads, I decided to get powerstop's rotors (slotted only for us) and their 9-1-1 performance pads. Look at http://www.powerstopbrakes.com/rotors.html for more info. I haven't bought them yet, so take with a grain of salt.
Each rotor manufacturer will recommend a specific compound hardness for their product (theirs of course <_< ) but the basics are the same. Slotted and crossdrilled rotors constantly wipe away the dust and gasses that get trapped between the pad and rotor. On a normal rotor, this debris causes fade, but will still create friction. If it is constantly wiped away, new pad will be exposed and worn down, and at a faster rate than a stock rotor, so a soft compound pad will stop like a champ, but will disappear before your eyes. For this reason, a harder compound is recommended, but maybe not as hard as the one you bought before. According to their site, pwerslot recommends Hawk hps performance pads.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #20
Stanl3yX
V.I.P. Member

Stanl3yX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stanl3yX Send a message via Yahoo to Stanl3yX
Ceramic Break Pads

Store/Site purchased:http://cgi.ebay.com/Ceramic-Brake-Pads-Front-Malibu-Alero-Grand-Am-97-04_W0QQitemZ8042501634QQcategoryZ33567QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem
Cost/Shipping: $36/$14 shippign
Store service, contact, delivery, problems, props:Fast delivery

Initial product impressions, quality: Nice red color. Felt more comfortable with ceramic break pads
Instructions, good, bad, none, etc: N/A
Installation notes, easy, hard, PITA:N/A
If not self installed, cost of installation: installed at a shop who charged me $50 for these plus front rotors.

Performance, appearance opinions: Excellent stopping. havent really breaked hard just yet because i think they have cant take too much heat when they first get installed (installed less than 24 hours ago)
Any other thoughts about the product: I'm so glad i got rotors and pads again. I feel more comfortable speeding and switching lanes. Feels like a new car...cant wait to see how long they'll last
Stanl3yX is offline   Reply With Quote