Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Pretty Bad Rust problem.

Well, I've Used the search button and haven't found anything this bad.

I noticed the paint starting to boil a couple Months ago. Looked under the hood and whatnot, it didn't look too bad. Since then. I"ved moved somewhere that salts the road wayy too much.

So now, The Whole Leading edge on the hood is brown on the painted side, and the underside is just gross. I need something that can stop it temporarily, I know the only proper way to get rid of rust is to grind it off and remove it, but I don't have a grinder, and it's probably not a good idea. I just need this car to hold out for now. It's got 230,000 km on it, so I honestly don't expect it to last much longer. But If I can, I need to squeeze the most I can get out of it. It's All I have.

Any suggestions on Stopping it/ temporary or easy permanent fix. I don't have Much money. So I need something effective and cheap.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
shiny alero
GL Member

shiny alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shiny alero
sandpaper n touch up paint
shiny alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

Would that really Work?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
yep, mine's pretty must destroyed on the bottom of the leading edge, and the top keeps flaking up and i have to sand it and touch it up, until i get the whole car repainted sometime
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i heard there was some kind of putty/solution stuff that reacts with rust to turn it into magnesium oxide (or something) basically turning the rusted metal into a different compound that'll prevent further rusting.

but i also have no idea what that stuff was, or if i even heard it right.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
^that would be pretty awesome
Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Onewing91
GX Member

Onewing91 is on a distinguished road
I saw that stuff at Meijer's for like $8 a can, I wonder if it actually works

"I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!"

3400 SFI V6 Mod: WAI, LEDs inside, 12" MPL Subs, Kenwood Amp, Clear Corners, nothing major
Onewing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
grind it down to bare metal, fill it in with quality body filler if you have crappy edges, prime/seal, then paint it.
That's the ghetto cheap way. Taking it to a body shop could obviously eliminate it and repaint the whole hood for a very nice finish, but costly.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

on my budget, quality filler looks like Bondo.. how much is a colourmatch spray paint from like... napa?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
you will need to remove the rust completely, with either a sand blaster or some sort of grinding disc, on a angle grinder, not those big ass grinders, you will burn right through the metal
for "bondo" to stick and last the life time of the car, it has to be bare metal, and grinded, "bondo" needs that hard etching of the grinding disc to completely adhere to the metal, and only use it if the metal has been pitted from the rust, i would apply a coat of PPG`S dp sealer it comes in different colors, let it dry over nigiht, then apply a skim coat to fill in the pitting, if no experience in body work or painting, pick up some por 15 it can be brushed on and yes "bondo" can be applied over it
then use PPG`S ncp primer 271 which is a corrosive protection high build primer, let it dry for a day,, prep, and paint
you use anything else then what i mentioned, like you use dp sealer then you use dupont base coat it will lift right off,
one thing about "bondo" when the metal is preped correctly it does last a long ass time
hope this helped
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

Hey Guys, I'm back after a month without a PC.

I should get my tax return next week. then that weeked, I'll probably attempt this if it's not too cold.

Couple more questions before I do.

Well, My plans are to sand it off, Use "Never Dull" to remove the other traces of rust, then go at it with Colour Match Paint.

For the Colour Match... Do I need to Prime it first?
Will I need Clearcoat to go On top of it?

And, Incase I mutilate the front end of my car.... Anyone got a Bra they want to sell?

Oh, And I have no Bodywork experience Whatsoever.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

i'm fixing mine this weekend, doubt it'll come out good, any flaked up paint never looks good rattle canned, not smooth. (at least when done by me)

I'm going to get that Por 15 super starter kit, sand down the rusted/flaked areas under the side skirt, degrease it and whatnot, brush on the Por 15 paint, then once that's dry, rattle can the dupli-color.

Por 15 looks like some good shit. Our cars should have been dunked in that before being painted.